Wiring harness

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Andrew s
Basic User

Wiring harness

Post by Andrew s »

I have tried to search to see where folk cut the cable ties fixing the wiring harness near the headstock, but can't find the post.

Could somebody who has done this take a photo showing the area of the cutting so I can see what cable ties to cut.
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Re: Wiring harness

Post by Buckster »

I would take the tank off and cut any that are too tight. Which on my bike was about 75% of them.
Buckster '03R
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

basically - any cable tie that is above, or forwards of the front tank support lugs and is tying a cable that leads to the instruments/bars to the frame.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

the ties on my bars are the culprits, and starting to rip the harness covers. i just snipped em off. Mostly, it seems, because they move alot. dont see much problems with any below the bars. but I check often. next time my tank is off Ill probably take care of them.
Last edited by peels on Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
Andrew s
Basic User

Post by Andrew s »

Cheers guys
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

peels wrote:the ties on my bars are the culprits, and starting to rip the harness covers. i just snipped em off. Mostly, it seems, because they move alot. dont see much problems with any below the bars. but I check often. next time my tank is off Ill probably take care of them.

The ties that tie the wires to the headstock are the main problem.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Andrew s
Basic User

Post by Andrew s »

Is that the ones in the plastic sleeves?
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

riceburner wrote:
peels wrote:the ties on my bars are the culprits, and starting to rip the harness covers. i just snipped em off. Mostly, it seems, because they move alot. dont see much problems with any below the bars. but I check often. next time my tank is off Ill probably take care of them.

cool. thanks. the two ties that are on either side of the bars are tight enough that theyve begun to rip the sleeve.... so far everything else LOOKS ok ....

but it appears riding season may be done. :/ snuck a quick ride in Sunday, its cold as hell today.
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

peels wrote:
riceburner wrote:

cool. thanks. the two ties that are on either side of the bars are tight enough that theyve begun to rip the sleeve
REMOVE THE CABLE TIES NOW!!

What happens is that those cable ties that tie the wires (in the outer sheaths) to the headstock cause the wires to bend over nearly 90 degree in a sharp corner when the steering is turned. This causes the wires to break quite quickly. Even if you've removed the cable ties the wires will be weakened. Mine broke at about 94,000 miles EVEN THOUGH I'd removed the wires when I bought the bike at 1,200 miles!!
peels wrote:.... so far everything else LOOKS ok ....

but it appears riding season may be done. :/ snuck a quick ride in Sunday, its cold as hell today.
[/quote][/quote]
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

got it.

right on, thanks riceburner.

the ties I pulled off the bars seemed to relieve the pull on the lower ties, since they are loose from the bars. But I think Ill yank em.