R1200xx long life?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Steve H.
Basic User

R1200xx long life?

Post by Steve H. »

Finally I am posting this subject.
I know Lost Rider has100,000mls on R12R,Don Eilenberger more than80,000mls on hisR12R.Heard the timing chain-tensioner-guides issues.But Lost Rider did amasing rides on "roadless roads"on his R12R.Still that bike withstanded all of this heavy rides. Wee know-all of us-these boxers are amasingly durable machines.But did anyone do compression chek on engine,pointing toward piston ring seal,walve seal?I would like to hear your opinion(s).

Marry Christmas and happy new year for all of members of this forum!
Steve H.
Steve H.
Basic User

Re: R1200xx long life?

Post by Steve H. »

I am thinking all over and over ....probably isent the best site talking abouth longevity of R12R,so please forgev me abouth this,and ignor it.
Thanks
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Post by dbrick »

Steve,

It's a good site to ask - there's probably more long-term R12R experience here than anywhere other than BMW and BMWNA, and they aren't talking.

I suspect the lack of response means that we haven't worn any of 'em out yet. Bent and crashed a few, yes, but not used up in service.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by deilenberger »

Steve - I'm at 85,000+ (137,000KM) miles on mine now. Still gets used several times a week, even in winter in NJ. No timing chain guide problems to report. So far I've only heard of that sort of problem on the R1100/R1150 engines. Haven't heard of any failures on the R1200 engines (and I've been on the R1200 forum of the MOA since it started about 8 years ago.) Getting a little chain rattle on a cold startup seems normal on these (as it was on the 1100/1150 engines) but it doesn't seem to be doing any damage - it happens when the chain tensioner bleeds down the oil in it, and as soon as oil under pressure gets to it the noise stops. I've also found using Castrol Edge TWS 10W-60 pretty much does away with the noise (and the TWS is a very good German made and packaged oil.)

The engines seem quite trouble-free and as David said - I haven't heard of anyone wearing one out yet. That was sort of my plan - wear it out and then replace the bike, but it's taking a lot longer than I envisioned it would. Guess I just have to ride it more.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

David,Don!
The BMW boxers legend continuous.Yes,David...we may crush it ,bend it but wear them out takes a longer period of time.Thanks for your scincer and open harded responses.Thank you gentlemans!!!

BRGDS Steve H. :D
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

I have had an interesting afternoon today.
A 5.7 liter Hamy intended to race me at stop lite.Those are a quite powerful.I wheeled my bike (it is easier to do than I thought)yes Finn.Hamy left behind.Two guys in hamy, with caps turned backwards,have had a lemon like smile or face.Lamborghini or Ferrari would have a chance.I think,I am getting old.Aniway the blod is not turning water...yet.Maight a bit later.Am I crasy??? Yes.
Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Post by Lost Rider »

105,000 miles and going strong on the 07' 12R. I might need to add .2 -.3L of oil in between changes now, but hardly anything to worry about and if I added none I would still see oil in the glass.
Zero mechanical issues following regular service intervals, mostly with whatever BMW oil is recommending at the time. (it's changed more times than I can remember over the years)
Now, granted the 12R feels quite sluggish compared to my NineT when getting on the freeway banging through the gears, but it does have a different final drive ratio. I still ride the 12R now and then, mostly when I need to use the panniers and tail rack to carry something for work, but Nancy is enjoying it quite a bit.
I don't see the 07' 12R wearing out anytime soon, there will be a shiny new wet head 12R in the garage before this one is done...

Merry Christmas everyone!
Get Lost!
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

+1 Joe!
A "shorter"final drive ratio means faster acceleration,lower top speed with the same engine.That is normal.By the age everything wears out including ourselves.At the dealership I sat onto 9T,it definitely feels smaller than R12R.Interesting feeling.But for me....2012 R12R with 10,000 mls on it paid close to 20,000CAD to have it,what would I get for selling it....what would be extra money to spend onto a new R12xx?Those thinks running through my nead.My conclusion is:going to keep my bike until I can.BTW,nothing serious to complain about my R12R,it is too young.....yet.Consuming some oil still.My way of driving is simple:I do not rew my bike,untill Ihave to.My highly preferred roads are hills,not giving interest in highways.I am not racer anymore....hard to believe from someone wheeling his bike :roll:
But in reality it is hard to resist if someone challenge you,especially greenbelley guys ;) Put it aside,I am anormally driving guy switching gears up at 3000-3500RPM crusing on regional roads cca.60mls/h in 6th gear cca 3200RPM.That is why my bike is not broken in yet.....well for a while.I am just using the amasing torque of this bike enjojing smootness and quetnes of the engine.To go offroad...well sometimes,but ashort run only...rerly.More than happy having this bike,since1976 R75/6 in Europa.Riding a perfect boxer BMW after 38 years of dream of it.Imore than LOVE mi R12R.Finally MY BIKE.

Steve H.