What about Moto Guzzi?

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

cclxxxz
Basic User

What about Moto Guzzi?

Post by cclxxxz »

I'm an old rider and a fairly recent Rockster purchaser (June 2013). I love this scoot; the handling is amazing but then again I may be comparing it to my other ride, a 1990 VMax. By that standard, an African bull elephant would be considered nimble. But I digress....

A colleague says that when you get too weird to own a BMW, you buy a Moto Guzzi. He offers no explanation. Is he correct?
'90 Vmax
'04 Rockster
Andrew s
Basic User

Re: What about Moto Guzzi?

Post by Andrew s »

Don't think BMW owners go to Moto Guzzi on mass, but I can see the appeal as they are both quirky and niche.
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

cclxxxz wrote:I'm an old rider and a fairly recent Rockster purchaser (June 2013). I love this scoot; the handling is amazing but then again I may be comparing it to my other ride, a 1990 VMax. By that standard, an African bull elephant would be considered nimble. But I digress....

A colleague says that when you get too weird to own a BMW, you buy a Moto Guzzi. He offers no explanation. Is he correct?

Hey I resemble that remark!
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

I think Guzzi-ista (and I've been one) are basically a bit more eccentric, and a little lighter of wallet, and more prepared to get their hands dirty.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
kirby

Post by kirby »

riceburner wrote:I think Guzzi-ista (and I've been one) are basically a bit more eccentric, and a little lighter of wallet, and more prepared to get their hands dirty.

And don't forget the RED suspenders.

:-)
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
cclxxxz
Basic User

Post by cclxxxz »

Why do Moto Guzzi riders wear red suspenders?
'90 Vmax
'04 Rockster
kirby

Post by kirby »

cclxxxz wrote:Why do Moto Guzzi riders wear red suspenders?

Its in our genes.Ha!

Seriously, The group I am associated with (forum) its a standing joke 'cause the average is pushing 60 and most have a long history of riding motorbikes. Induction into the Guzzi group will require a pair of red suspenders. (Our oldest rider is 92 )
Quite fun!
mike :-)
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
cclxxxz
Basic User

Post by cclxxxz »

I thought the answer would be "To hold their pants up."
'90 Vmax
'04 Rockster
kirby

Post by kirby »

Hold their pants up?
Never even occurred to me!
Its a badge.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

I must be weird. I like guzzis. Much like the boxer...I long thought the transverse both heads in the wind equally vtwin seemed logical. looked weird of course...

Different bike marques are supposed to be different. IE: you should be able to tell what you are on, when you are on it. :lol:

I really liked this one when I saw it.

http://blog-imgs-49.fc2.com/c/h/i/chiba ... ecial2.jpg
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
kirby

Post by kirby »

peels wrote:I must be weird. I like guzzis. Much like the boxer...I long thought the transverse both heads in the wind equally vtwin seemed logical. looked weird of course...

Different bike marques are supposed to be different. IE: you should be able to tell what you are on, when you are on it. :lol:

I really liked this one when I saw it.

http://blog-imgs-49.fc2.com/c/h/i/chiba ... ecial2.jpg

Yeah, traveling cross country is always a hoot as folks can't identify the type and some will approach me for info.
The 90 deg twin is a good configuration for a motor bike in both balance and cooling, but its hard on the knees!
I like the sound of the old two valve twins much like the airhead BMWs'. The oil head with the four valve just doesn't have the mellow tone as the twos'

All said the BMW with the opposed cylinders is arguably the best configuration in both balance, CG and cooling, that's why its my main squeeze when it comes to traveling. Guzzis are fairly rare in the States but tend to be a close nit group and the get togethers are much fun.

mike :-)
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
gregor
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by gregor »

Guzzis are fairly rare in the States but tend to be a close nit group and the get togethers are much fun.
And a lot of head scratching goes on?
Seriously , the knee/ cylinder head clearance is a problem for taller types. My BIL loves his Mk 2 Guzzi Le Mans but he is only 5'6".
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin
kirby

Post by kirby »

I'm 6'4" inseam 35/36" The CX100 is a Le Mans II.

ouch!
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

"HOT KNEES"!

do you not get this from the roadsters oil coolers?

On really hot days, on slower rides, my knees can cook a little. :lol:
kirby

Post by kirby »

No, but the coolers are handy in cold wx. I have hand guards and can use "thinner" gloves down to about 25 deg or so. (Don't like it much when colder.)

Just put one hand at a time in the outlet (cooler) and helps warm the tops of the hand while the heated grips help with the bottoms.

mike
BTW I always wear amour.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

kirby wrote:No, but the coolers are handy in cold wx. I have hand guards and can use "thinner" gloves down to about 25 deg or so. (Don't like it much when colder.)

Just put one hand at a time in the outlet (cooler) and helps warm the tops of the hand while the heated grips help with the bottoms.

mike
BTW I always wear amour.

hah yes! why not both? I tried out the cheap cruise control clamp thingy. Got it for xmas, its not the most stable at holding speed...but...will hold it long enough to put both hands down in the hand warmers for 15 seconds or so.

upper inside of each knee gets a hot blast(if i keep them tight to the tank). Only when it 80+ out, and only 45-50mph.

Its not bad enough to complain, but noticeable.

I did wonder about the guzzis and their strategically place kneewarmer heads. :)
kirby

Post by kirby »

peels wrote:
kirby wrote:No, but the coolers are handy in cold wx. I have hand guards and can use "thinner" gloves down to about 25 deg or so. (Don't like it much when colder.)

mike
BTW I always wear amour.

hah yes! why not both? I tried out the cheap cruise control clamp thingy. Got it for xmas, its not the most stable at holding speed...but...will hold it long enough to put both hands down in the hand warmers for 15 seconds or so.

upper inside of each knee gets a hot blast(if i keep them tight to the tank). Only when it 80+ out, and only 45-50mph.

Its not bad enough to complain, but noticeable.

I did wonder about the guzzis and their strategically place kneewarmer heads. :)

The worse thing is the right one is an inch or so ahead of the left and they HARD!!! Without pads on the knees..it will hurt. They do make brackets that connect to the valve cover screws that have pads but they are hard rubber!!+ they look dorky.

mike
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER