R1200R vs. K1200R

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

famousperson
Sextuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 599

R1200R vs. K1200R

Post by famousperson »

My attention has just been called to the K1200R. Having ridden the perfect motorcycle, my R1200R, for the past 8 years, I felt no reason to change. Now I do! Maybe. I'd switch to a 2015 R12R in a heartbeat (an even more perfect bike from everything I've read) if I could afford it (I can't) but a whole new (affordable used) level of horsepower? 163 hp? Are you kidding me? One hundred and sixty-three?

So, my question is, has anyone here had experience with a K1200R? I can buy a low mileage, '08 K (last year they were made) for A couple of thou more than I can get for my low mileage, '07 R.

Good trade? Bad trade? Guidance appreciated.

Peter
'07 R1200R
Life Member #599
NAUI Inst. #1434 (since 1969)
MTBeemer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1043

Re: R1200R vs. K1200R

Post by MTBeemer »

If you do your own maintenance, then you'll be going up in the level of complexity and or cost.

The K1200s have had a few issues if I recall correctly. Timing chain tensioner seems to come to mind.
Kevin Huddy
Intrepid Incompetent
Canyon Creek, MT
Team Pterodactyl Montana Outpost
Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Post by Lost Rider »

While I obviously don't own a K bike, a good friend has the same year you're talking about and a couple weeks ago we traded so he could check out the 15' RR...

I would suggest taking it for a test ride before you buy.
My take is it obviously has more power, but it's at the top end of the RPM range and lacks in useable down low torque. It doesn't have nearly the low speed handling an RR does both in power and turning. Was very smooth and handled well on the interstate but was not nearly as fun in the canyons as any 12R. Matter of fact the only place the K bike was "in it's happy place" was on the highway going fast.

I'd say it really depends on what kind of riding you do, for an all around bike, in my opinion the 12R is far more fun to ride.
The K bike offers more HP, but I could never live with riding it day in and day out.
YYMV of course. :mrgreen:
Does your 07' have aftermarket suspension or exhaust? That couple of thousand you're talking about that K bike costing you could get you "a new" experience on the 12R and maybe rekindle an already great relationship... ;)
Get Lost!
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

My take: k1200r is BAD ASS. thats all I know about it. :lol: Lost rider said it right: "The only place the K bike was "in it's happy place" was on the highway going fast."

If you are used to the boxer, you will quickly find the K is made to haul ass in a HURRY, not casually take in a scenic ride. This is not a negative review, FYI. Going fast is a good thing. But my preference for the RR is that you have a choice. Its feels almost equally comfortable doing it at any pace.

If I Had the budget, room and time for a 2nd bike, It would be top half of the list. I actually briefly considered trading for one... As They also fit the bill for "instantly recognizable as a bmw" They just plain look cool. I saw one fitted up for touring, packs tall windshield. Looked fantastic.

2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
Martyn
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Martyn »

Personally I would not contemplate a K1200. The K1300 series is a very different beast, with revised mapping & many internal changes. Arguably it is what the K1200 should have become prior to being released onto the market. If you want to make that change, from R1200 to K, my advice would be make it a K1300.
Other opinions are available. :smt109
Martyn Hillier, Cheltenham, UK.
1979 R100RT, 2013 R1200RT, 2014 R1200R & 2016 R1200RT Iconic.
famousperson
Sextuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 599

Post by famousperson »

Thanks, guys, you talked me out of it. I don't need full ahead acceleration or speed, anyway, since the bulk of my riding is around town where nimbleness is a plus. What was I thinking?! I especially liked the suggestion that I spend the additional dollars on improvements to my bike--like suspension or exhaust (the latter being a whole different topic). Farkling city here I come! Carbon fiber, anyone?

Peter
'07 R1200R
Life Member #599
NAUI Inst. #1434 (since 1969)
ptm
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by ptm »

Took a K1300R for a spin when they first came out.
The police car following behind meant that I might as well have had 60 hp on tap rather than the 160 hp at the other end of the throttle.
It had the quick-shift fitted which worked beautifully.
Overall thoughts: awesome silky smooth power and gear box; awesome mid range torque; not so awesome steering lock, so not as friendly manoeuvring through traffic.
Took an blue 2015 R1200R for a test ride the other day.
If there were any minor irritations with my 2008 R1200R, they have disappeared with the 2015 model.
The quick-shift box was great, easy to throw around, great in the twisties, great in a straight line; couldn't want for more.
Conclusion: for a very small part of my riding spectrum, the K1300R might be the go, however for the remaining 95% of the time, the R1200 wins out for me.
It has bigger panniers for touring, it is easier to throw around, more than powerful enough, and has enough smarts to keep me out of trouble.