Driveline Problem

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Re: Driveline Problem

Post by Lost Rider »

sykospain wrote:Surely yet another depressing example of how this profiteering German manufacturing combine that we're so faithfully wedded to in loyalty is continuously downgrading its component product quality in order to more thickly line its owners' and shareholders' pockets with excessive amounts of loot, so they can all further enhance their already sumptuous and luxurious Rhine-side palaces.

As I've recently discovered when trying to source bulk machined components from China, machine shops there can easily and rapidly shell out extensive runs of acceptable-looking metal items for literally peanuts. But as for the quality...
viz:- my metallurgist friend recently scoped the metal quality of the splined hub fitted to BMW"s Czech-outsourced dry-clutch friction plate in her X-ray spectrometer kit and analysed it as "Chinese pig iron".
And that kind of quality dear friends is what you're paying for in an overpriced BMW motorbike.

Kind of sounds like our old friend wildpig, only slightly more refined. ;)

While I did need to replace my drive shaft too, out of 8 years of ownership that's the only big repair cost so my Chinese pig iron did pretty darn good.
I rewarded the Big Evil German company by buying another...

I like the looks of that work by Bruno and bookmarked him, thanks for sharing!
Get Lost!
R12RnHouston
Basic User
Donating Member #: 791

Post by R12RnHouston »

Lost Rider wrote:
sykospain wrote:Surely yet another depressing example of how this profiteering German manufacturing combine that we're so faithfully wedded to in loyalty is continuously downgrading its component product quality in order to more thickly line its owners' and shareholders' pockets with excessive amounts of loot, so they can all further enhance their already sumptuous and luxurious Rhine-side palaces.

As I've recently discovered when trying to source bulk machined components from China, machine shops there can easily and rapidly shell out extensive runs of acceptable-looking metal items for literally peanuts. But as for the quality...
viz:- my metallurgist friend recently scoped the metal quality of the splined hub fitted to BMW"s Czech-outsourced dry-clutch friction plate in her X-ray spectrometer kit and analysed it as "Chinese pig iron".
And that kind of quality dear friends is what you're paying for in an overpriced BMW motorbike.

Kind of sounds like our old friend wildpig, only slightly more refined. ;)

While I did need to replace my drive shaft too, out of 8 years of ownership that's the only big repair cost so my Chinese pig iron did pretty darn good.
I rewarded the Big Evil German company by buying another...

I like the looks of that work by Bruno and bookmarked him, thanks for sharing!
Damn skippy Lost. Viva le "Chinese Pig Iron"!
07' R1200R Kristall Grau
ex 2007 F650GS
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

If there is no other option for greasing than splin lube,how can we avoid similar problems on our R12R driveshaft? :?: :shock:
R12RnHouston
Basic User
Donating Member #: 791

Post by R12RnHouston »

So this weekend I decided to change my final drive lube in preparation for an upcoming trip. I took a few pictures to show you all just how easy it is to lube the rear u-joint with the final drive dropped.

Gather tools (I dedicated a 1/4" drive 5/16th socket and short extension to insert the grease fitting).

Line-up the yoke and remove the plug with an allen hex bit...

Carefully install the grease fitting...

Hit it with three squirts of lube (that's what she said)...

Reverse the process and your done.

I'll pull the swing-arm and grease the front after the rebuilt drive shaft has been in service for 12K miles (per Bruno).
07' R1200R Kristall Grau
ex 2007 F650GS