2004 Rockster won't start - I'm at a loss!

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Jpainter187
Basic User

2004 Rockster won't start - I'm at a loss!

Post by Jpainter187 »

Let me start by saying I've searched online and watched videos trying to trouble shoot this problem with no suggestions that worked for me. I'm posting this as a last resort because I don't know what to try next. Anyways...

My 2004 Rockster has about 38k miles (that's low to me...) and it sat last winter in the garage when I lived in Lubbock, Tx because my QD fuel lined failed and the fittings would shoot fuel out whenever I flip the starter switch and the fuel pump runs. Keep in mind it ran absolutely fine before I noticed the fuel leak and stopped riding it. So it sat for probably 3-4 months until I removed the old lines and just installed new straight fuel lines. I went ahead and installed a new Odyssey battery while the tank was off because the old one had lasted 5 years and it was time...

So I double and triple checked that everything was tightened and plugged back in, added some fuel back to the tank, and tried to start. It sounded great with the new battery as it tried to start, but it never would run. So I tried spraying a little started fluid in the air filter box. That worked as far as getting it to crank, but it only ran for a couple of seconds and then died. This was with choke engaged. So I tried again and this time tried and again with the same depressing results. I let the battery sit on the charger after all the failed attempts to crank the bike.

It had been about 3 or 4 years since I replaced the plugs so I changed all 4. The old ones were dirty but not enough to be fouled. Tried starting again, and it still won't run. I pulled the fuel lines and wanted to make sure fuel was in fact being pumped out when the bike is switched on. One hose shot fuel out with pressure where as one just allowed it to pour out freely but not from pump pressure. I'm assuming this is normal, but please educate me if I'm wrong.

I'm not sure what I should attempt next. Does it sound like its not getting fuel somehow, since it'll run momentarily with starter fluid sprayed in the air filter box, or could the injectors be gunked up? I put high octane fuel in the tank after I got the new lines and battery in thinking that might be best but obviously it didn't matter because something else is going on .

Any ideas people?
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Re: 2004 Rockster won't start - I'm at a loss!

Post by sweatmark »

Incorrect fuel lines connections? Swapped supply for return?
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
Jpainter187
Basic User

Post by Jpainter187 »

I thought of this actually... I had them marked with tape to differentiate one from the other but it is a possibility I guess. I'll give it a try tomorrow and see if it fixes the problem. And if it does I'll feel like a total moron. But I guess I would be ok with that if it meant I could get out there and ride again. Haha!
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

try the lines first. but, are they even reversible? mine were setup so they couldnt be reversed....

then check that one or both of your throttle cables isn't crocked sideways out of the stay. like RIGHT next to where the fuel injector plug is. I just did this AGAIN accidentally after I did my abs-ectomy. I thought for SURE id screwed something up lol.

Especially the right throttle cable can slide up and out of the stay, since it is so close to the QD's when removing tank. effectively putting that cylinder at full throttle, and it will sound like its about to fire, but never start.
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.