New Guy

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

beemerron
Basic User

New Guy

Post by beemerron »

New to board. Hi everyone =D>
I'm about three days away from doing a rail and ride to pickup an '04 R. 22k, Sargent, top case recent annual service and tires. I've had an F650GS for a few years, but don't do the dual sport thing enough. Past bikes include '99 R1100GS special edition that I put 126k on before I sold it and 4 airheads, to name a few. I just did a burn down the Pacific coast from Tillamook, OR to LA and back through Reno (where I needed a new chain set) then home. The F650GS didn't cut it.

I look so forward to getting back on an Oilhead.
maccraith
Lifer

Re: New Guy

Post by maccraith »

Welcome, New Guy! You will fit right in here. You've got lots of experience and, no doubt, lots of knowledge to contribute here. And that is something that the folks on this board excel in - experience, knowledge and help. Little or no nonsense, boasting, bragging or BSing. I think you will find a comfortable home here.
'03 R1150R
Riding year around in central Mexico.
Don't believe anything you hear; find out!
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

Don't forget to check the antifreeze in the tankside radiators.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

towerworker wrote:Don't forget to check the antifreeze in the tankside radiators.

oh no. i forgot to check mine! :lol: note: macraith says "Little or no nonsense" then we start that!. :lol:

Welcome Beemerron. this is, indeed, a good place.
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
captaincable
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1050

Post by captaincable »

maccraith wrote:Welcome, New Guy! You will fit right in here. You've got lots of experience and, no doubt, lots of knowledge to contribute here. And that is something that the folks on this board excel in - experience, knowledge and help. Little or no nonsense, boasting, bragging or BSing. I think you will find a comfortable home here.

Welcome aboard, I had to laugh as soon as I read Maccraith's reply as I was thinking about Waynes (Towerworker) radiator check :D I have been know to tell a fish tale or two. But as far as help or encouragement you will find plenty of that here.
Ride Safe
Mike

Peels your right I am going to check mine now :)
beemerron
Basic User

Post by beemerron »

So I boarded the train in Portland, OR to San Fran., Friday at 1:00PM. At about 6:30PM the train lost power going over the Cascades between Eugene and Bend for an hour delay. About 3:00AM we hit a trespasser near Redding, CA for a 1.5 hour delay. Met the seller at the station about 11:00AM and into Marin by noon. Where the 101 goes from 4 lane to 2 over the course of a few miles, traffic was backed up. As a new-to-me bike riders I was reluctant to start splitting lanes, but WTF. 7 miles later I was rolling good. At the 200 mile mark the bike felt like an old friend. So good to see you again, my old friend.
beemerron
Basic User

Post by beemerron »

Also, W/ the F650, I missed the passing power. I could do 1 or 2, but the bet for those was to lay back and get a running start. Now I just drop 1 and jump. Just recalled Capts. "no bragging" line so I'll leave it there. Hello old friend.
lcarlson
Donating Member #: 0

Post by lcarlson »

Tomorrow my '02 goes in for the 42,000 mile service, and with the new Ohlins and AF-XIED is running better than ever. Since I like to have more than one type of ride, I just traded my K1200GT and Ducati Diavel for a new Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom, but I kept the 1150R. Still does all I need it to do.
Lawrence Carlson
Redding, CT

2002 R1150R (sold)
2016 BMW F700GS
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Welcome to the group!
Your Amtrak story brings back a bad old memory: took the train from Portland to LA years ago, when a pickup truck hit the train in Cali Central Valley. Train was without power in 100-degree heat for six hours with passengers trapped inside.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
beemerron
Basic User

Post by beemerron »

When attempting to add engine oil, the filler plug just spins. It's the type made to accept an allen wrench. Before I pull the valve cover, am I missing something here?
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

beemerron wrote:When attempting to add engine oil, the filler plug just spins. It's the type made to accept an allen wrench. Before I pull the valve cover, am I missing something here?
thats weird.

is it plastic?

its gravy pulling the valve covers, so no worries there. you lose a drip or two of oil, thats all.
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
beemerron
Basic User

Post by beemerron »

It's a metal cap that takes an 8mm allen.