Hungry Mother ride 2015 August 21-23

Check out what group rides people are planning, or planning to attend! Questions you have BEFORE the ride takes place should go in here.

Moderator: Moderators

mcooperstein
Donating Member #: 2

Hungry Mother ride 2015 August 21-23

Post by mcooperstein »

This event is open to everyone and has almost no organization, but a lot of tradition. We generally arrive on Friday throughout the day, make a pizza and beer run, then hang out and talk all evening. Saturday typically begins with breakfast at the AppleTree Restaurant right off I-81. Then small groups break out in all directions for a day of riding. Saturday evening we gather again to eat, quite often somewhere with bad service. It is not unusual for someone to get their food late or not at all, that's just part of the fun!!

The tent sites in Loop C are on wooden decks they call "pads". They vary in size but it usually isn't hard to get two tents on each pad so 20 guys can camp without problem. The Park Rangers have always been good to us, not too strict if we bend the rules, but we're quiet and respectful. With someone having already booked two of the sites we will probably be sharing the bath house with others.

Anyone who wants to guarantee themselves a site can send me $40. That is 1 campsite for 2 nights (Friday and Saturday). Do a Personal Transfer via PayPal to markcooperstein AT gmail DOT com. The personal transfer for "Payment Owed" will keep paypal from taking a cut on my end. If you want to send me a check instead, just contact me via email. I'll try to keep this post updated with confirmed payments.

DO NOT LET THE FACT THAT YOU DON'T RESERVE A SITE STOP YOU FROM COMING!
CAMPING IS NOT REQUIRED. YOU CAN STAY IN A HOTEL IF YOU WANT (and endure mild hazing).

I currently have sites reserved in my name. If more people then I've already anticipated acknowledge that they want to go I'll reserve more sites but only if I hear from you early enough, so please, if you think you might go, chime in and let me know so I can get more sites reserved before they're taken. Don't hassle the payment either, many people pay me when they get to Hungry Mother anyway.

Multiple tents can fit on a pad. I'll keep a running tab on this thread of people committed to coming.

Mark
member #2
Boxer
Lifer

Re: Hungry Mother ride 2015 August 21-23

Post by Boxer »

I'm in. Just sent you $40.
Thanks Mark
hbrandan
Basic User

Post by hbrandan »

I have been trying to do this group ride for 4 years now, but multiple events have kept me from going. I will try it one more time this year, leaving from the Asheville area. I know it's usually a wet weekend, but I don't care!!
Once it gets closer to the date I will confirm my tent space. Looking forward to meeting some new folks!!
yjleesvrr
Donating Member #: 0

Post by yjleesvrr »

I'll be on the other side of the country on my RT that weekend. I'd join y'all otherwise.
Member #93, June 2002
'14 BMW R1200RT "Wethead"
'77 BMW R100/7 "Airhead"
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

Mark - I'm sorry, I meant to send you the money as soon as you posted this but let it slip away. Payment sent. I plan on coming and Vince will probably be joining us.
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

I'm coming Mark. I'll get a payment to you shortly.

Wayne
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
chibbert
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 202

Post by chibbert »

My fingers are crossed that I can make this.
2004 R1150RS
Boxer
Lifer

Post by Boxer »

This Georgia group is as fickle as a bunch of 10 year old ballerinas. They have thrown me under the bus with Hungry Mother this year, and gone and planned a weekend at Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground that weekend.

I have one other rider here that may be willing/able to come but I will most likely be coming alone now. Still looking forward to it. Love me some Hungry Mother.
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

Turnout seems rather unenthusiastic this year. I might have an issue myself. I plan to leave the next weekend for a 2 week trip out west. Tough to be gone the weekend before I head out. If there isn't but a few folks showing up, hardly seems worth it.
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

Oh c'mon fellas! This event has too much history to put it to pasture!! I'll be there with at least one other fella......Frank who rides a V-Strom.

Wayne
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

I am holding out some hope of making it to Hungry Mother. I'm trying to figure out some stuff in the grand schedule(both work and home). Work may be the more difficult thing since it has rained forever, people are starting to ask if we will open on Sundays so they can get back on track. I may not know what I can do until that week.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
hbrandan
Basic User

Post by hbrandan »

I'm still hoping this will be the year that I make it!!
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

Update from the Staunton area, looks like at least 4 from here with possibly 2 or 3 more. I will update as I get confirmation.

Wayne
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
captainkirk
Basic User

Post by captainkirk »

I just e-mailed 5 guys about this. We'll see what happens. Bob
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

Mark I just sent you $40.00

Looking forward to HM!!
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

I need to put a new front tire on the bike, but I am hoping to head down. Things are actually falling into place. \:D/
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

Biff's R wrote:I need to put a new front tire on the bike, but I am hoping to head down. Things are actually falling into place. \:D/
Cool!!

I'm bringing extra antifreeze for a coolant service instructional opportunity!
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
mcooperstein

Post by mcooperstein »

So as of now I have gotten four people that have sent me money for hungry mother which is next weekend. They are Phil, Vann, Wayne and John. That's great because I only could reserve four tent sites. It looks like more people will show up so we'll be sharing a tent pad to accommodate everybody. Anybody that shows up will settle $$$ with any of the four people above, not me. I myself will be staying in an RV site at HM since I'm trailering my bike behind my RV.

I plan on getting up there early Friday so I'll get the sites picked out. You cannot actually reserve a specific tent site in loop C anymore, you make a reservation then it's first come first served however we are guaranteed four sites in loop C. Therefore if somebody gets there ahead of me go ahead and check in at the office, get all four tent tags and go ahead and claim the four best sites. They are all reserved and paid for in my name, Mark Cooperstein.

Finally, and this is IMPORTANT!! It's race weekend in Bristol. I know from experience the state police are out ticketing speeders like crazy, especially on the interstate I81. Do not speed! You risk getting caught, believe me, I live in the area and everybody in Virginia and Tennessee slows down this week! Been caught more times then I want to say, wouldn't want to see anybody else suffer the same!

Mark
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

Mark----so thankful for you spearheading this! I'm looking forward and gearing up for the weekend. Hopefully John, myself and Frank P will be heading out Friday morning. I'm shooting for 9am which will put us there early Friday afternoon. See you Friday!

Wayne
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
Boxer
Lifer

Post by Boxer »

I've been sick with a cold for over a week now. It turned into bronchitis and ear issues, but I'm coming anyway. Went to the doctor today and got some antibiotics and cough syrup. I should be back to about normal by Friday morning. I'm heading up early. I expect to be there by early afternoon. Look forward to seeing everyone! Y'all ride safe and don't let the Po Po get you. :D