Speedo problem.....

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

trickytree
Donating Member #: 1159

Speedo problem.....

Post by trickytree »

....the trip and odometer on my Rockster has just stopped working, speedo still works fine. Guessing this is something mechanical inside the unit, anyone come across this before?
Not sure if I'll have a go myself yet....never delved inside one before and probably wouldn't have a clue what to look for unless I can find something obviously broken.
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Speedo problem.....

Post by riceburner »

hmm - speedo IS working, but the counter isn't?

it'll be internal to the unit then, as far as I know there's only one feed into it (but might be wrong - it's a digital system), probably a cracked gear or something?
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
trickytree

Post by trickytree »

James Sherlock have a 1100S set with a missing front panel for £60 posted....no idea what a repair would be but I doubt it would be much cheaper with postage both ways....may even be able to get a few quid back selling the tacho.
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

I know that they're delicate instruments, but they are effectively just gearboxes (once the signal has got there).

I repaired the tacho on my old E21 318 by cracking it open and supergluing a broken plastic cog.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
trickytree

Post by trickytree »

My Rockster has been visited by Bavarian garage pixies......oddo and trip now working fine.
Noticed the trip was reading a funny number....halfway between 2 and 3 so I assume I knocked the reset button somehow and partially reset it.....whatever, resetting to Zero had cured the problem.
Whats really strange is that one of the speedo dial lights that has never worked since I bought the bike is now working as well. As I said, Bavarian garage pixies.
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

trickytree wrote:My Rockster has been visited by Bavarian garage pixies......oddo and trip now working fine.
Noticed the trip was reading a funny number....halfway between 2 and 3 so I assume I knocked the reset button somehow and partially reset it.....whatever, resetting to Zero had cured the problem.
Whats really strange is that one of the speedo dial lights that has never worked since I bought the bike is now working as well. As I said, Bavarian garage pixies.

hmm - i'd check the wiring around the headstock.

Normally the wiring that is too tightly cable-tied is the ignition switch loom, but if your bike still has the cable ties (or had them for a while), it's possible that any of the wiring looms that go around the headstock are damaged.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life