Stealing attempt

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

retskcor

Stealing attempt

Post by retskcor »

Hi all,
Pretty new on the forum, it looks great and I would like to say thank you everyone for all the great info!

My recently purchased Rockster sleeps on the street with a cover and disc lock. As I came back tonight, I witnessed that the bike was on the side stand with the cover messed up. Pretty annoying feeling that someone has been messing around and sitting on it which is never nice. As I got closer, I discovered that the ignition lock was forced and and ignition cable was cut. Someone obviously tried to steal it and I'm lucky that they gave up at the disc lock! Kinda wish they had tried the disc lock first before destroying everything else...

My question is, has anyone had similar experiences before (hoping not)? I'm wondering what the extend of the damage to the steering will be. I have noticed a pretty deep scratch on the frame from forcing the lock. I'm not sure what else would get damaged in the process.
On another note, disc locks are great... :roll:

Cheers
peels
Basic User

Re: Stealing attempt

Post by peels »

people just suck sometimes. :cry:

not sure how to help you here. honestly......

some careful rewiring, and a new ignition switch?

seems not too difficult, just bothersome. dont think you'll have any problem steering. you can only know once you dig into it...
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
retskcor

Post by retskcor »

Yeah, too bad they didn't notice the disc lock BEFORE tampering with everything.
Well my insurance is covering repairs so it's now at a BMW dealer!
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

retskcor wrote:.
Well my insurance is covering repairs so it's now at a BMW dealer!
even better!

we had someone walk into our garage last winter, steal my wifes purse out of her car. We were gearing up to leave the country on a cruise. had all our kids' documents... passports... and CASH. which we NEVER carry. gift certificates she bought for her employees. makes me so mad. :cry:
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.