Bad - Ignition Switch? Anntena?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

wabeers
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Bad - Ignition Switch? Anntena?

Post by wabeers »

Don - WOW - I really appreciate the time and effort you put into your post. I measured the voltage by using a multi-meter and touching the positive and negative terminals with the probes from the meter. I'm getting 12.48 volts with the ignition turned off which sounds like a reasonable value. I have not added any additional electrical accessories to my stock 2008 R1200R so that eliminates one possible problem. The one thing I was wondering about is that when I turn on the ignition switch the red battery light is lit and stays lit until a couple of seconds after the engine starts. I'm wondering if the battery light being on until after the bike starts is an indication that there is not enough battery power to start the bike, even though the bike will start as long as the computer display stays lit. Can you check your bike to see if the red battery light remains on until after the bike starts?

I will let you know what I find out.

Bill
Bill Beers
2008 R1200R
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Bad - Ignition Switch? Anntena?

Post by deilenberger »

Both my current 2012 and the 2007 that preceded it did the same thing. Calling it a "battery light" is wrong, but often happens - usually since most of them have a battery on the light. It's actually a charge indicator showing the alternator is making more current then the bike is consuming. Right after startup the battery is somewhat depleted - so it's normal for the light to remain on a few seconds until things get to a more balanced state. A gentle rev of the engine by a few hundred RPM once the engine starts turns the light out. Normal. Absolutely normal.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!