Replacing the R1200R with what bike

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

SL
Basic User

Replacing the R1200R with what bike

Post by SL »

I have driven my R 25K miles in the past 18 months and I am growing tired of it , tired of the vibes and stiff ride ............

What would you all be wanting if you were going to another bike ??
Upright rider , I wnat to put my feet flat on the ground , too
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Replacing the R1200R with what bike

Post by deilenberger »

The vibes and stiff ride aren't normal.

I can answer as to what bike I bought after my '07 R1200R - it was a '12 R1200R.

Where are you feeling vibration? I've only experienced one R1200R that had what I'd consider excessive vibration in the bars, and that was cleared up by doing a really careful valve adjustment. "GripPuppies" from BeemerBoneyard (cheap!) may also help if you're experiencing too much vibration, as might heavy bar-end weights from ManicSalamander.

The stiff ride - if you have stock non-ESA suspension - means either the rear preload is set too high OR too low (both can cause what feels like a "stiff ride") for your weight. If it still can't be made compliant - then it's time to look to the aftermarket for replacement suspension. Shocks made to your weight can make a big difference in how well the suspension works for you. At the same time the bike could be lowered so your feet reach the ground. Without knowing what your inseam is - can't say if it could be made "flatfoot" - but it can likely be made quite close. A custom seat might also help.

ALL of these could be accomplished for WAY less then the outlay for a new bike (and the loss you'd take on your current bike when selling it) - but of course if you're just bored with the R1200R - then a new bike might be just what you want. Can't say the new liquid cooled R1200R is an answer since it has shortcomings I couldn't accept (no telelever, minimalist storage capacity) and I have seen complaints about IT having excessive vibes in the bars (moreso then the series R12R that we own.)

BTW - without knowing what sort of use you want to make of the bike, it's difficult to say what bike might suit you best. I'd gather you're a serious rider since you're riding about the same miles as I do..
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
ron prior
Basic User

Post by ron prior »

Vibes & stiff ride ?...I don't understand ??

I have / ride an 1150R , and am told the 1200 is even smoother .

Stiff ride ? could be shock set-up / valving, from a previous owner maybe ?
2wheels
Donating Member #: 547

Post by 2wheels »

Traded my R1200R (twin cam) for R1200GS LC earlier this year. Brilliant, capable machine. More comfortable than the R, and faster too if you want that. If you can stand the way it looks, get a test ride. You may be surprised!
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

2wheels wrote:Traded my R1200R (twin cam) for R1200GS LC earlier this year. Brilliant, capable machine. More comfortable than the R, and faster too if you want that. If you can stand the way it looks, get a test ride. You may be surprised!
He did say "I wnat to put my feet flat on the ground , too" - so that may let the GS out..
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
2wheels
Donating Member #: 547

Post by 2wheels »

Mine is factory lowered so quite okay for my 29" inner leg! It is quite a bit heavier than the R though...
SL
Basic User

Post by SL »

It's been mentioned many times before how the bike feels every rock , pebble , bump .
The Tiger 1050 I rode 2 years ago has a very nice plush ride to it , but sits a little too high me what I want
trickytree
Donating Member #: 1159

Post by trickytree »

Sat on a factory lowered GS at the dealers the other day, amazed at how low it felt.....even had the normal seat fitted, not the optional lowered version.
zackvis
Basic User

Post by zackvis »

Do not sell change the bike to suit your body type .I put yamaha fz bars ,wilber aftermarket shocks,comfort seat, now its perfect for my body ,best bike ever .you cannot dislike the bike too much if you did 25k in 18mts. some people do that in 5 years. Just my thoughts.
AllanCook
Lifer

Post by AllanCook »

ron prior wrote:Vibes & stiff ride ?...I don't understand ??

I have / ride an 1150R , and am told the 1200 is even smoother .

Stiff ride ? could be shock set-up / valving, from a previous owner maybe ?
My R1200R was by far the most uncomfortable bike I've ever owned. I could never ride it more than an hour. My R1150R, on the other hand, I rode 40K in two years, including a cross-country trip. I wish I'd never sold her.
Allan
Austin
jkhomes
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 939

Post by jkhomes »

I am going to test ride an R1200RS and the new Triumph Speed Triple. Once upon a time I thought I would like a Ducati, but the test ride didn't do it for me.

I have an HP4 which grows on my the more I ride it. An S1000R or XR would be pretty cool, but the vibrations seem to be a problem. That or an Aprilia.

My 07 R1200R is still old faithful. I haven't tried a water boxer because I am afraid it would ruin the old bike for me.
John K
2008 R1200R
2013 HP4
wust588
Basic User

Post by wust588 »

I owned a 2011- 1200R (briefly) a couple of years ago.

Superb engine and gearbox, but the ride was dreadfully harsh, and the seat poorly designed, and non adjustable.
I tried aftermarket suspension, and it made no difference.

Many modern bikes these days, seem to have very thin, hard seats, and rock hard suspension.

I hope you find what you are looking for.
John Williams- Staffs UK.

'81- Norton P41 Prototype Rotary
'93- Norton P52/55 Hybrid Rotary
SL
Basic User

Post by SL »

I am seriously looking at the 2014 Honda Valkyrie , having owned 2 from previous generation , I am familiar with them.
They are on sale for $10500 , with the 1800cc Goldwing motor , plus TTL , that's a steal