new tires for my old bike

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

duckdave
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 580

new tires for my old bike

Post by duckdave »

Well, I've been sulking about because my rear tire's been leaking a bit. I have to air up every time I take it to work. The leak's slow enough that I can make it back home without problem. I've suspected it was from the mushroom plug my shop put inside the tire a few years back, when the tire was a mere babe with less than 1000 miles in it and I got screwed by a screw.

I finally got around to spraying the tire down with windex until I found the leak. Sure enough, just as I suspected, it's leaking where the plug is.

So, I'm thinking, I'll just replace the rear tire with another PR2 so I still have a matched pair. BUT it seems Michelin's past me by with the PR3 and now the PR4's. But I don't want mismatched tires, I don't even want to buy one tire, the PR4 is a heavy duty GT model designed for heaver bikes, yada, yada, yada.

So I dig around my receipts pile and my maintenance log and discover I've had these tires for 5 (five) years. YIKES! I need new tires just on that basis, where did the time go. Then I find my milage records---I've got over 13,000 miles on these tires! Holy Batman!

So, I'm not getting cheated on these tires one bit. In fact, I'm probably dam lucky they didn't give out on me.

I ordered a pair of Pirelli Angel GT, which lately have been getting ratings like the Pilot Roads of yesteryear. Places with the best prices have shifted around a bit since I last looked. I got the best price at the Motorcycle Superstore: $126.49 for front, $159.99 rear ($286.48 total); free shipping and they say they will be here Mar 3 (two days from now). If all works our without a hitch, I'll be smiling by the weekend!

Finger crossed.
-duckdave

'04 R1150R Silver
Little Rock 'n Roll
Double Lifer #580
duckdave
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 580

Re: new tires for my old bike

Post by duckdave »

Oh, and thanks R1150R.org for having the info I needed, all in one place, to make the decision about what to get! Great forum. Shout out to all my buds here!!
-duckdave

'04 R1150R Silver
Little Rock 'n Roll
Double Lifer #580
AZBMWRIDER
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by AZBMWRIDER »

I have a PR2 on the back and a PR4 on the front of my '02 R .
No issues what so ever with the mismatch .
The rear tire looks like I'll get the rest of this year on it, then put a PR4 on the rear .
'02 R1150R, Atlanta Blue
Been riding since 1979, BMW's since 1981 .
4 R65's, '87 Guzzi V65 Lario .
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

I'm getting some new tyres next week - Metz Z8s this time.

I tend to look at the Pirelli/Metzeler/Continental offerings that are 'Sport-Touring' and choose the one that's currently cheapest. They're all good.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
pebmr
Basic User
Donating Member #: 655

Post by pebmr »

I've got some old PR2's on my bike also. They're about 6 years old and have about 23,000 miles on them. I didn't realize how worn they were (no cords but just pretty cupped,..) until I parked it for winter. I bought some PR2's about 4 years ago and am just installing them now because there was life left in the others. Surprised also to see we're up to PR4 now. Good luck with your new set-nothing like a fresh set of tires!
2004 R1150RA
Piedmont Red
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

pebmr wrote:I've got some old PR2's on my bike also. They're about 6 years old and have about 23,000 miles on them. I didn't realize how worn they were (no cords but just pretty cupped,..) until I parked it for winter. I bought some PR2's about 4 years ago and am just installing them now because there was life left in the others. Surprised also to see we're up to PR4 now. Good luck with your new set-nothing like a fresh set of tires!
You have 23,000 miles on 1 set of motorcycle tires??

I have never gotten more than 8K on a rear and maybe 12K on a front. Are you certain those numbers are right?
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

Maybe his roads are made of marshmellow......... :)
Buckster '03R
trickytree
Donating Member #: 1159

Post by trickytree »

23,000 miles :shock: what do you do, ride it or push it :lol:

Never had more than about 8000 from a rear on any big bike. I got that from a BT023.....just....but although I've used them for quite a while on various bikes to me they didn't seem quite right for the Rockster...a little bit 'squirely'...a feeling ive never experienced with them on any other bike. Got a PR4 on the rear at the momment and must say it sticks like s**t to a blanket and is incredible in the wet.
pebmr
Basic User

Post by pebmr »

I don't recommend running them that far, but my mileage on this bike is primarily straight pavement commuting, I'm not a large person and I ride pretty tame... I ran the Metzlers that were on the bike when I got it at 7,000 miles all the way to about 22,000, so they went at least 15K miles. I've been much more impressed with the PR2's than the Metzlers that squared off badly.
2004 R1150RA
Piedmont Red
swamper
Basic User

Post by swamper »

You won't be disappointed with the Pirelli's but I only get about 8,000 on a set with the fronts going first.
02R1150R,02R1150Rabs,04R1150R :D 02R1100S,05R1100S(BCR), :shock: (2)-S1000XR :smt003
IBA#7147
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

towerworker wrote:
pebmr wrote:I've got some old PR2's on my bike also. They're about 6 years old and have about 23,000 miles on them. I didn't realize how worn they were (no cords but just pretty cupped,..) until I parked it for winter. I bought some PR2's about 4 years ago and am just installing them now because there was life left in the others. Surprised also to see we're up to PR4 now. Good luck with your new set-nothing like a fresh set of tires!

I have never gotten more than 8K on a rear and maybe 12K on a front. Are you certain those numbers are right?

do tell. I would believe this, if the 23,000 was a total for both LOL OR YOU have ridden 23,000 cumulative over multiple sets on that particular brand. :)

But... If I see proof of a 23,000 mile motorcycle tire, regardless of brand, I will buy them immediately.
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
pebmr
Basic User

Post by pebmr »

peels wrote:
towerworker wrote:

do tell. I would believe this, if the 23,000 was a total for both LOL OR YOU have ridden 23,000 cumulative over multiple sets on that particular brand. :)

But... If I see proof of a 23,000 mile motorcycle tire, regardless of brand, I will buy them immediately.
Tis true, I bought my bike with used Metzlers at 8,000 miles. Ran them to 22,000, installed PR2's and now I'm at 45,000 on that set. I'm changing them now with a 2nd set of PR2's and snapped some pics side by side. Sent you a pm and can email you pics-can't seem to upload at the moment... Maybe I should send in the old ones to the hall of shame for riding them so far :)
2004 R1150RA
Piedmont Red
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

wow. awesome. maybe I should move north to MN as well? are your roads lined with silk? hah!

got your pm. I certainly appreciate it but... no worries, I believe you, I'm just riddled with unbridled envy. :P the metzlers that came on my bike while riding quite gingerly only got UP TO 8000 I think and I had belts showing.. (based on receipts)

interesting.
dandeldesierto
Basic User

Post by dandeldesierto »

I've had two or three sets of the PR series, by coincidence only I've never worn out a set. I had some PR2s on an R1100RS that had 13K miles when I sold the bike. They looked as if they were half worn. I put a set of PR3s on a R1100GS; it broke a connecting rod when the tires had about 8K (the bike had 95K). I'm riding an '04 R1150R with Metzelers that were on it when I bought it; when tire time comes it'll definitely be Michelins. They are comfortable, feel good in inclement weather, and with over 15K miles "almost guaranteed" they're actually cheaper than many bargain brands on a $/mile basis.
milehighboater
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by milehighboater »

My PR3s have just over 24k on them. I installed at 14k and just passed 38k. I don't have any cords, but I'm going to get a new set before the spring rains hit and they will be PR4s.
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

well then....

guess i will pony up the few extra bills next time. =D>

thanks gents.
Dave&th'Raven
Basic User

Post by Dave&th'Raven »

I too, am looking for the right tires for my 03 R1150r. I'm currently running Michelins (which came on the bike) and have no problems with them, but wanted to see what other options might be available. I am 60 years old, and have been traveling on 2 wheels for most of my life. I live in western NC, so all the roads here are curvy and hilly. Our house is located 1/2 mile up a twisty, gravel and dirt mountain road. In addition, I travel at least once a month (year round) to Savannah, GA, to assist my aged Dad. I've only been in the BMW family for a year, and my former bikes were all cruisers, of the oriental varieties. On those bikes I had wonderful success with Pirelli MT66, but they are primarily for cruisers. Several of you have mentioned Pirelli PR 3's and 4's. I've not located these yet, and wondered if there is another name for them. I would also like to know if anyone has tried the Pirelli Scorpion Trail II's. This is one I thought I might be interested in, and the local dealer can get them in the sizes I need. Because my riding includes such a variety of road surfaces, I thought something more aggressive than a strictly street tire might be good. But I also want something comfortable for my monthly commutes to GA. Glad to find this forum, and open for suggestions.

Dave&th'Raven
Black '03 R1150R
Dave&th'Raven
Basic User

Post by Dave&th'Raven »

I just realized I mis-read some of your posts about the PR 3s and 4s. I thought these were Pirellis. My bad. Still would like to know about the Scorpion Trail IIs, however, if any of you have had experience with them.

Thanks, and I'll read more carefully next time.

Dave&th'Raven
Black '03 R1150R
gregor
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by gregor »

Like Riceburner, I just go for the cheapest good brand tyres that are available locally. I'm using the Metzeler Roadtec. Z6 front and Z8 rear currently. Tried Bridgestones over the years but they were expensive and did not last well.
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin