Remote preload necessary?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

scottdc_pdx
Basic User

Remote preload necessary?

Post by scottdc_pdx »

Just purchased a 2004 R1150R in the fast Ferro color. In great shape but with the miles on it I'm guessing it's going to need some shocks fairly soon. My question is if anyone here has installed a rear shock without remote preload and if it's possible to reach the adjuster with a c-spanner? I tend to get suspension dialed in and not mess with it very often, never ride with a pillion but I do ride with luggage.

If I can reach the adjuster without too much difficulty it sure would be nice to save a couple hundred bucks and skip the remote preload.
peels
Basic User

Re: Remote preload necessary?

Post by peels »

interesting question....no idea. my shock is off the bike right now....ill look, but Ive never heard of that being done.

do you just not like the remote knob?
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
trickytree
Donating Member #: 1159

Post by trickytree »

I would say if you never ride with a pillion you would get away with leaving the preload alone, providing you don't take the kitchen sink with you when you load up with luggage.
My Ohlins have a pair of adjuster nuts and would say the rear would be unreadable when on the bike.
Nitron make a front shock with the preload adjuster nuts on the bottom of the shock so it does not need to be removed from the bike for adjustment, not sure if they could make a rear one the same but even then I would think access would be pretty tight.
Took the wife on the back of the Rockster the other night and forgot to wind the rear preload up and to be honest bike handled fine.
I would say a good quality shock properly set up for your weight would be fine with or without luggage.....quality shock being the byword.
Are you Stateside? I know a dealer this side of the pond that has a new Ohlins rear shock for a 1150r without remote preload.
scottdc_pdx
Basic User

Post by scottdc_pdx »

I am Stateside, I guess I should finish filling out my info. Wunderlich is running a fairly good deal on the set of front and rear Ohins and has a remote preload which is one option I am looking at as well as Hyperpro. Nice thing abut Ohlins is I'm just down the road from a certified Ohlins service center. I've run Wilbers on many bikes in the past but their prices seem to be pretty close to the other brands these days so less incentive.