Yet, another “OIL” thread from a newbie.

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Hidalgo
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Yet, another “OIL” thread from a newbie.

Post by Hidalgo »

I adressed this minutes ago in my original thread but I believe it may be best to start a fresh thread. I will be changing oil on my recently purchased Rockster with 41,000 miles. According to the previous owner, he only used Amsoil and regular Fram filter. According to a few Youtube videos, synthetic oil is bad for the seals since they will eventually leak. They HIGHLY recommend Spectro series 4 for the Rockster 1150 to avoid seal leaks. Now, I turn this thread lose on you guys hoping to hear your success and possibly teachable moments and experiences with what I believe can be a colorful exchange of opinions.

Best,

Gil
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Re: Yet, another “OIL” thread from a newbie.

Post by kirby »

I know people that run syn oils in the trans,RD and engine and they don't leak.
I have run Castrol(dino) 20W50 since new and I still do not have to add between changes at 6000 miles it will still be visible at the bottom of the sight window.
I run Castrol 80W90 in the trans and RD. (GL5 dyno)
Most people over fill the 1150's and that engine doesn't like to be over filled.
When you change it fill to the middle of the glass with a HOT engine so that the cooler thermostats are open and all the oil drains out. If you do that and crank the engine the level in the sight window will disappear 'cause the coolers will fill up and hold oil. The only way to check it properly is within 5 min or so after you have been riding, on the center stand, with the cooler thermostats open. A good time is after coming off the road during refueling.
There is a drain plug on the left side rear corner if the airbox. I recommend that you pull (twist) the plug and drain any oil in there. If it has been over filled be the previous owner it could have some oil in there. Check it at the change intervals.
The boxer engine generate allot of pressure in the crankcase and the vent goes to the airbox.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

Your bike is past the break in period of 20k so you can use synthetic if you want.
If you use dino, change at every 3k.
If you use synthetic, you can then change at every 6k.
I wouldn't worry about what brand it is as long as it's a name brand.
Buckster '03R
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

I feel its a waste of money to change regular oil at 3,000 miles. The book says 6,000 on regular oil because of the shear properties begin to brake down at that point. If you do allot of commuting and stop and go stuff(traffic) or run the engine very hard it might be better to shorten the miles between intervals.
If I ride a 2,000 trip and do some dirt roads I will change it when I return to base. If I do a track day I will usually change it after. So allot depends on how and where you ride.
I have changed the trans and RD every 2 years regardless of the miles. Regular oil with no additives. It drains out looking just like it did when I put it in.
Just my $.02
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER