Shinko tires

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

rokinrider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Shinko tires

Post by rokinrider »

Any one tried Shinkos yet? I have a set on my Harley and they are working well. thinking about a set for my R1200???
thoughts [-o<
Speed cures all handling problems.
2009 R-12R awesome
2000 HD FLHT 95" slightly modified
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Re: Shinko tires

Post by Boxer »

My tire dealer down the street...Ken's Motorcycle Tires...says they are the lowest of the bike tires in quality.
tiPirate
Basic User

Post by tiPirate »

Shinko is a Korean company.
Shinko Website wrote:In 1998 the Shinko Group purchased the motorcycle tire technology and molds from Yokohama Rubber Co., and began production of these products under the Shinko Tire brand. With manufacturing based in South Korea and design based in Japan, the company has seamlessly combined Japanese engineering and design principles with South Korean production and quality control standards. Today Shinko Tires produces approximately 200,000 motorcycle tires per month.
I've got a set of the 006 Podium on my 11R, and they're above average. Nothing too sporty, but grippy enough. Don't write them off without a good look into the tire lineup.

http://www.sportbikes.ws/showthread.php?t=106588

Another positive review from a VFR pilot with 006s on sportbikes.ws
MTBeemer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1043

Post by MTBeemer »

I ran a Shinko Raven for 5500 miles earlier this summer on a trip back east. It still has a few thousand left on it, but I took it off for a ride to Alaska/Yukon. It wore well, gripped well and provided no surprises. I now have a set of Ravens on. I've got about 4000 miles on them in BC and on a trip to Moab and AZ, where I am now. They are doing fine. The front has no evidence of cupping which other tires have always done (I am running 40 PSI as a test and it seems to work). At under $200 for a set delivered I will continue to run them, at least on long hauls. I have a set of PR3s ready to mount to see if they are worth the extra money.
Kevin Huddy
Intrepid Incompetent
Canyon Creek, MT
Team Pterodactyl Montana Outpost
Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Post by Lost Rider »

When it comes to dual sport tires I've had good and bad experiences with Shinko's.

This Shinko 700 came apart at interstate highway speeds on my GS, quite a scary event that I managed not to crash.

But with that said I just mounted some Shinko 705's on Nancy's GS because I've had great success as have many ADV riders with the 705's.

I would search some of the sport bike, or sport touring forums to see about specific Shinko tires as it's not hard to find much different reports on various Shinko model tires, my experience might not apply to street tires.
motorcycle-superstore.com also has a good review section for each type of tire.

Or just buy from brands with no or very little catastrophic reports.
Get Lost!
DAM650
Basic User

Post by DAM650 »

700's are not gonna stand up to a gs650, never r1200
2002F650GS ABS Black Betty 89K
2002R1150R ABS Misty Blue 48K