Odd noise while bike's cold

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

motorcycle_monkey
Basic User

Odd noise while bike's cold

Post by motorcycle_monkey »

I just started noticing a louder, more like a rattle noise, a couple of weeks ago. Happens for the first 5-10 minutes of riding, then seems to go away. You can hear it in my video right as it starts, then ~9 seconds in, when I pull in the clutch, the sound goes away. Then if I let off the clutch slowly, stays quiet. But, as shown later in the video, if I let out quickly, the noise comes back. Should I be horribly concerned? I haven't pulled the slave yet to see if it's leaking. Would this be indicative of that? Bike has ~42K on the clock. I have only owned it since October, so don't know the history. Any feedback would be great. Cheers!

https://goo.gl/photos/dxfCLzsuD5tcEMTU7

**You may have to right click on the video link and open in a new window/tab.
peels
Basic User

Re: Odd noise while bike's cold

Post by peels »

Maybe it doesn't come across well in the video, but your bike doesn't sound terribly different from mine. its a bit rattly. I normally wear hearing protection....but sometimes Ill buzz around the block, and the noises it makes will freak me out lol

A bad slave would make more noise when clutch is pulled. Doubt that's your problem, but it is something that should be checked, however. see if you're missing fluid from the clutch reservoir, that will indicate a leak.

Is it a rattle from the gearbox spinning in neutral? check/change gearbox oil.

or could just be valve noise-normal, just check/change oil. and adjust valves.
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
scottdc_pdx
Basic User

Post by scottdc_pdx »

Sounds like my 1150 as well. I've had wet clutch bikes that make a little clutch noise. My Tiger Explorer and my Multistrada both make noise at idle that goes away when the clutch is pulled, especially before the bike is warmed up. I'm not a professional mechanic but my hunch is it's probably nothing, or at least not an immediate crisis.
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

My R1150R Roadster (2002) made similar noise with clutch activity. Bike ran fine otherwise, never missed a shift (unlike my R1100R with faulty shift dog), but the noise and - possibly imagined - slight vibration accompanying noise concerned me. With both Roadster and Rockster at the time, it seemed appropriate to reduce risk and trade the Roadster for an F800. I was among many with concerns about the clutch splines problem at the time.

If it was me, I would pull the brake slave cylinder, with spare on hand just in case, then flush and fill. Test result. If noise persists, perhaps plan a winter weekend to separate the bike for clutch inspection.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
orangeclocker
Donating Member #: 1136

Post by orangeclocker »

Could be the cam chain tensioner. The stock one rattles until things are warmed up. Job isn't too difficult. I replaced mine following this guys instructions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOT_eyNp9Y8. This is where I bought the replacement: http://rubberchickenracinggarage.com/chain.html

-Luke
'03 R1150R