Will GS hubs fit an R1150R

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Soliton

Will GS hubs fit an R1150R

Post by Soliton »

G'day guys,

I know the rim sizes are different... but will the wire wheel hubs (front and rear) from an R1150 GS fit onto an R1150 R without stupid amounts of modification.

I want to fit wire wheels to my bike. If the GS hubs fit I can mate them to rims of the correct size (3.5 and 5 x 17") to maintain the standard rim and tyre sizes. A company called Kineo even do a tubeless compatible wheel.

What do I mean by fit?
- Front (hub will mount onto the fork lowers and the disks are in the correct place to mate with the calipers without modification.)
- Rear (same as above.)

The thing is this is not a cheap job (probably the last big change to the bike) and I don't want to stump up thousands of dollars only to find I need a doctorate in aerospace engineering to make everything fit. Assuming everything will be compatible is a road to disaster.

Any help is much appreciated.

Regards,

Sol
"Better to live rich than die rich."
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Re: Will GS hubs fit an R1150R

Post by kirby »

You better think this one out as the 1150GS has a 19" front, not going to work well with a 1150r and its 110/80 pretty narrow. The rear is a 17' with a four bolt but having never tried to bolt one up to a roadster???
Maybe if you just got to have wire wheels you should get a GS or some other brand probably would be MUCH easier.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
buck prior
Basic User

Post by buck prior »

That is why the OP said he wants to use the GS hubs.....then use the appropriate rim. That will yield the spoke wheel in the proper wheel / tire size.
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

kirby wrote:
Maybe if you just got to have wire wheels you should get a GS or some other brand probably would be MUCH easier.
......or a Rnine T!
Buckster '03R
buck prior
Basic User

Post by buck prior »

kirby wrote:You better think this one out as the 1150GS has a 19" front, not going to work well with a 1150r and its 110/80 pretty narrow. The rear is a 17' with a four bolt but having never tried to bolt one up to a roadster???

I think the OP is aware of that , and is not in the market for a new motorcycle.

If the hubs will work ? Then the proper sized wheel [rim] can be laced to it. .....something I have also considered .
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

R1150R >> GS parts compatibility; board member "jas" did a Rockster >> GS conversion, as discussed in the following:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19393
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22268

There's also this topic on ADV:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/r ... gs.821333/

No, it's not an 1150 conversion, but the Telelever change is worth noting.

Also, the 2001 R1100R was equipped with spoke wheels, which fit the standard rear drive lug bolt pattern for R11** bikes:
http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/ ... d=07012015
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
Soliton

Post by Soliton »

Thanks mate,

This is the sort of stuff I'm after. Woody's Wheels have said if the hubs fit they can do the 3.5 and 5 x 17" rims.

I have taken a chance and bought a second hand front hub. I am really hoping I can pull this off. If I supply the hubs (if they fit) Woody said $500 -600 per wheel.

I think it would look absolutely brilliant.

Anyhow enough gushing enthusiasm.

Reg'd's,

Sol
buck prior
Basic User

Post by buck prior »

Soliton wrote:Thanks mate,

This is the sort of stuff I'm after. Woody's Wheels have said if the hubs fit they can do the 3.5 and 5 x 17" rims.

I have taken a chance and bought a second hand front hub. I am really hoping I can pull this off. If I supply the hubs (if they fit) Woody said $500 -600 per wheel.

I think it would look absolutely brilliant.

Anyhow enough gushing enthusiasm.

Reg'd's,

Sol

Sounds like a plan...please keep us posted !!
Mr.Frequent
Basic User

Post by Mr.Frequent »

You may have success checking both 11XX and 1200R series "classic" models .They are roadsters like our 1150R's with factory wire wheels . :idea: I haven't checked interchangeability ,nor am I sure the "Classic" Rseries was sold globally . They do look nice!

I noticed the Classic when looking for an R1150R that had been made a Street Tracker .
trickytree
Donating Member #: 1159

Post by trickytree »

Mmmm, so do Woodys have the correct rims available? A common centre spoked rim won't work as the spoke holes in the hub run in the wrong direction.....ie. The GS tubeless rims have the spokes on the outside of the tyre. I've heard that BMW don't sell rims and hubs separately anymore, they just sell the complete wheel.
Soliton

Post by Soliton »

I spoke to a fellow called Chris from Woody's on 06 July (very early call from Aus). He advised that if the hubs fit they will use an Excel rim, change the spoking pattern and lace a 3.5x17 for the front and a 5x17 for the rear. Further they can bead blast and polish the hubs then powder coat them black to match the bike.

They don't do black oxide coating on the spokes but they will powder coat them, however the don't recommend it as it does not last well. I may have to put up with silver spokes.

They will also line the hub with a sealant stripping that allows for the mounting of normal tubeless tyres.

I have a second hand front hub coming from the US and I will do the tests to see if the hub fits and the disk positions align with the caliper position on the R1150. The only issue is that there are multiple hub types for the R1150GS. Hopefully I got the right one. It's not easy but If I can crack this it will be the last big part of a nearly five year customisation.

Almost glad that people told me it couldn't be done and would be the ruination of a good motorcycle. It got me riled up and pig headed enough to keep going when I wanted to extract my hair. It has actually been fun and has kept me out of my wife hair. Funny thing is I could do the whole job in a month now that I know exactly what material, bits and techniques to use. Oh well.

I like the fact that even other BMW riders cannot tell me what model it is. I was parked right next to someone on another R1150 and they didn't recognise it. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I wasn't making tea for anyone else so it isn't a problem.

Rs,

Sol
buck prior
Basic User

Post by buck prior »

If you go to the Wunderlich site you'll see two Roadsters with 'wire-spoke' wheels. Perhaps contact them ? and asked about those ?

http://www.wunderlich.de/fileadmin/_pro ... a83711.jpg
Soliton

Post by Soliton »

No help from Wunderlich. Sent an email and got this reply...

Unfortunately this is no Wunderlich part.

Unfortunately I can't give you advise were you can get these wheels, because we don't know.

Thank you for your understanding.

I have the front hub and the rear one is on its way. All the research and testing says it should all fit although I may need some spacers on the rear.

Fingers crossed.
buck prior
Basic User

Post by buck prior »

Gee...odd response from them. I wonder if there is a liability problem ? I mean the wheels clearly show on their site, and just checked a catalog I have and they show in that as well ?

I read you post above,....it is amazing how many BMW folks do not recognize the model ?
Soliton

Post by Soliton »

Buck,

Do you have the catalogue reference. (part numbers etc) I would really like to follow that up.

Rs,

Sol
buck prior
Basic User

Post by buck prior »

No part numbers, so I sent this email too them...

On your site, & in the catalog, there is a R1150R "Classic" shown with wire-spoke wheels. Are these wheels available ? Are they GS wheels ? Thanks, Ron

This is what I received .

Edward Plam <[email protected]>
3:50 PM (3 hours ago)

to me
Hello,

They are not available but they do look like GS wheels. I would contact Woodies Wheels for more information.

Regards,

Edward J. Plam

cid:[email protected] cid:[email protected]:[email protected]

Wunderlich America
125 Hangar Way #160
Watsonville, CA
95076 -- USA

Telephone: 831-761-1070 Ext.1002
Toll Free: 866-830-9990 Ext.1002

[email protected]
www.wunderlichamerica.com
www.bmw2valve.com

From: Wunderlich America Contact Form [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 7:50 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Your Wunderlich America Contact Form Has Been Submitted

Hello Wunderlich America,

Your contact form has been submitted by Ron Prior.

Here is what they have to say:

On your site, & in the catalog, there is a R1150R "Classic" shown with wire-spoke wheels. Are these wheels available ? Are they GS wheels ? Thanks, Ron
buck prior
Basic User

Post by buck prior »

It won't copy / past...at least for me...But found a place called 'BMW E-Store' They do list / show, wire spoke wheels with what appears to be p/numbers ? No photo , but might well be worth a call.

They are an advertising vendor on the BMW K1200LT Luxury Touring site.
Soliton

Post by Soliton »

Everything leads back to Woody's wheels.

I went to the BMW E-store and put in R1150r 2002. It showed the wire wheels. When I checked the part numbers they were for an RnineT.

These guys not making it easy.

Thanks for your help though.

Rs,

Sol.
buck prior
Basic User

Post by buck prior »

Maybe they're the same ?
Soliton

Post by Soliton »

OK,

I now have the front and rear hubs and I have had them test fitted on the bike. The front fits but will need a small mod to the speedo, the stub where it engages is a tiny bit long and will need to be machined down.

The back fits too but the mechanic suggests is will be offset by about 1mm, he does not view this as an issue. I think the offset is more than that but I note that the Rockster uses a small spacer (part # 36317653286). I may buy one "on spec" to see how wide it is. The Rockstar uses a 5.5 instead of a 5.0 rear wheel to support a 180/55 tyre.

Cleaning the "paint" off the hubs is wickedly hard. Bead blasting is not very effective, garnet works better, the deep wells in the hubs are hard to get clean. After the top coat is removed paint stripper will work but be careful it is nasty stuff. I'm still not finished cleaning them but it has to be thorough or the powder coating won't be as effective.

Sol