an Excellent Mechanic in... ?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

EX-HOG
Basic User

an Excellent Mechanic in... ?

Post by EX-HOG »

Grand Rapids, MI.

I thought I'd start this post first to see if anyone knows of an excellent mechanic in Grand Rapids, MI. I prefer not to take my bike to the dealer for work - but that's just me. I do a lot of my own work, but as Harry Callahan once said - "A man's GOT to know his limitations."

So, if you know of a good shop in my area please let me know.

Anyone else looking for someone in their area? ... tell us where you are.

Thank you!
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Re: an Excellent Mechanic in... ?

Post by CycleRob »

EX-HOG,
Let me help you in your search by giving you some important guidelines. I'm 69 now and have been working on bikes and cars since I was about 17, mostly Hondas and other Japanese bikes. The number of Harleys, worked on by choice, I can count on 1 hand. What those HonKawSuzYam bikes provided was a need to always be successful dealing with carbs, ignitions, engines, transmissions, spokes, forks, charging systems, electricals and final drives. Word-of-Mouth negated the usual advertising route and should be one you also consider. The BMW OilHead is quite a simple machine by comparison, with more automotive traits than other bikes. Dry car type clutch, chain driven SOHC with rockerarms, groved belt driven excited field car type alternator, double U joint shaft drive, recirculating fuel EFI and Bendix gear driven solenoid shifting electric starter all say "car" to me. My first Boxer experience (~1988) was working on my future brother-in-law's poorly running, terribly synchronized, barely charging R90-S. An easy but physically demanding fix in the freezing rain shelter of a drafty, unheated, backyard shed.

My point is, consider even the HonKawSuzYam wrenches as the OilHead is easy to learn, after cruising the many posts here, for any experienced 2 wheel mechanic. They will have the quality tools, knowledge, experience and learning ability to:
--Adjust the valves. Finding TDC with wrench turns, proper feeler gauge use and locknut torques is 4-Stroke universal basics.
--Synch the TBs (with an inexpensive homemade H20 differential manometer). Just demand that NO blue painted screws are touched at all!!
--Service the hydraulic brakes. An ABS .PDF file will be needed.
--Troubleshoot and repair electrical faults.

The other easy things like oil changes you can do yourself.

I got really into and serious with BMW OilHeads/Boxers after I purchased my beautiful new 2002 R1150R in late July 2001. It was not hard to learn or master.

`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

what cyclerob said.

what work are you looking to have done?
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
EX-HOG
Basic User

Post by EX-HOG »

I just bought my first BMW motorcycle (the 2002 R1150R) with 11,500 on the clock. After I put a thousand miles on it I changed the oil (used dino)& filter, replaced the primary and final drive gear oil (75w 90 full syn), replaced the plastic QD's, pulled the tank and repaired a fuel leak at the fuel pump plate (new fuel lines - send & receive & changed the clamps), replaced the stock air filter with K&N, and a new battery.

Ok above is what I've done to it. Now a new problem has popped up - a vibration I feel on the foot pegs and in the hands and A LOT of chatter coming from the engine. After some research I understand a throttle body sync and/or valve adjustment could be the problem so I held my nose and took it to the dealer. The dealer says a tech test drove it and thought the vibration was normal. Normal? How this could be normal ... as I ride I cannot ignore the vibration... the vibration wasn't there two weeks ago. Anyway I am not equipped to do the valve adjustment myself and I simply don't trust the dealer to do good work... I hope they prove me wrong (my bike has been at the dealer all week). I've asked the dealer to perform the throttle body sync and valve adjustment regardless of the test drive results. I'll update you with the results.
EX-HOG
Basic User

Post by EX-HOG »

CycleRob wrote:EX-HOG,
Let me help you in your search by giving you some important guidelines. I'm 69 now and have been working on bikes and cars since I was about 17, mostly Hondas and other Japanese bikes. The number of Harleys, worked on by choice, I can count on 1 hand. What those HonKawSuzYam bikes provided was a need to always be successful dealing with carbs, ignitions, engines, transmissions, spokes, forks, charging systems, electricals and final drives. Word-of-Mouth negated the usual advertising route and should be one you also consider. The BMW OilHead is quite a simple machine by comparison, with more automotive traits than other bikes. Dry car type clutch, chain driven SOHC with rockerarms, groved belt driven excited field car type alternator, double U joint shaft drive, recirculating fuel EFI and Bendix gear driven solenoid shifting electric starter all say "car" to me. My first Boxer experience (~1988) was working on my future brother-in-law's poorly running, terribly synchronized, barely charging R90-S. An easy but physically demanding fix in the freezing rain shelter of a drafty, unheated, backyard shed.

My point is, consider even the HonKawSuzYam wrenches as the OilHead is easy to learn, after cruising the many posts here, for any experienced 2 wheel mechanic. They will have the quality tools, knowledge, experience and learning ability to:
--Adjust the valves. Finding TDC with wrench turns, proper feeler gauge use and locknut torques is 4-Stroke universal basics.
--Synch the TBs (with an inexpensive homemade H20 differential manometer). Just demand that NO blue painted screws are touched at all!!
--Service the hydraulic brakes. An ABS .PDF file will be needed.
--Troubleshoot and repair electrical faults.

The other easy things like oil changes you can do yourself.

I got really into and serious with BMW OilHeads/Boxers after I purchased my beautiful new 2002 R1150R in late July 2001. It was not hard to learn or master.

Thank you cyclerob for your advice - the search continues.
EX-HOG
Basic User

Post by EX-HOG »

Got the bike back from the dealer today. $248 and it's fixed. TB Sync and valve adjustment did the job.

... now back to ridin'!