Beakster Bash XIV 2017

Check out what group rides people are planning, or planning to attend! Questions you have BEFORE the ride takes place should go in here.

Moderator: Moderators

STDocLizard1
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Beakster Bash XIV 2017

Post by STDocLizard1 »

It's time to consider planning for the next Bash. As a reference:

BEAKSTER BASH LOCATIONS

BBI Deals Gap NC/TN (2004)
BBII Bartow, WV (2005)
BBIII Marietta, OH (2006)
BBIV Marlinton, WV (2007)
BBV Central, PA (2008) Endless Mountains
BBVI Fayetteville, WV (2009) New River Gorge
BBVII Harriman, TN (2010) Cumberland Plateau
BBVIII Milford, PA (2011)
BBIX Lewisburg, WV (2012)
BBX Marietta, OH (2013)
BBXI Mt. Airy, NC (2014)
BBXII Staunton, VA (2015)
BBXIII Marathon, NY (2016)
BBXIV Lexington, Va (2017)

According to my recollection, any location within 500 mile radius of the confluence of TN, NC, and VA. is worthy. Good roads, reasonable lodging, and adequate sustenance seem to be the basic building blocks of a suitable location. WiFi, Fuel, and DQ are also of importance. Any location along the Interstate 81 corridor has potential. Easy access to the mountains is a plus. By varying the location, we have the opportunity to maintain interest, invite new participants, and explore some fresh areas.

Let's post your ideas for the next Bash. The dates of which, according to past schedules, would be May 17-21, 2017.

I'm leaning toward Lexington, Virginia, but would like to hear your thoughts.
Last edited by STDocLizard1 on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
ctRrider
Lifer

Re: Beakster Bash XIV 2017

Post by ctRrider »

Doc, anywhere in the region between Staunton and Marion, VA and over into WV is prime riding. I was looking at Floyd, VA since I have seen several references to it online. The Riders Workshop uses Floyd as a stop on their invisible roads riding course. It is 96 miles further down the road from Lexington for those of us coming from the north. The Floyd Hotel is in town and is large enough to handle our group plus several smaller alternatives are in town. There are several places to eat within walking distance or within a short ride. For entertainment there is the Floyd Country Store with their famous Friday night music jamboree. The Blue Ridge is nearby and you can easily reach Marion and RT 16 and the Grayson Highlands area on a day ride from Floyd. All superb mountain riding.
Anyone have any information on Floyd, VA?
ctRrider
Lifer

Post by ctRrider »

Take Floyd out of the running. The Hotel Floyd is already heavily booked for that weekend. So back to Lexington or somewhere in the region.
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

Hopefully, my body and bike hold out to attend next year's Bash, wherever we end up! Missed VIII for bike issues and VIII for knee issues! The knee is fixed now anyway and I am back to riding!

As ctRrider said, anywhere in that neighborhood is great. I actually considered Floyd when I organized the Mt. Airy Bash but went with a venue I knew hosted Ducati events. Anywhere else in Floyd? Lexington would be fine too.

I could go for a return to Fayetteville, WV and the New River Gorge too! At this point, just tell me where to show up.
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
STDocLizard1
Lifer

Post by STDocLizard1 »

Thanks for the update on Floyd there ctRider. The lodging looked great on the website, but it is booked.

Glad to see you are on the mend Vann and back in the saddle.

If there are any other suggestions, feel free to post-up.
mikemagna
Basic User

Post by mikemagna »

If you organize it I will come. I'm liking Lexington area as Doc suggested.

Mike
Evan
Basic User

Post by Evan »

Virginia sounds good :D
ctRrider
Lifer

Post by ctRrider »

I could see zeroing in on the area between Staunton and Wyethville. There is about a 2 hour ride difference between them north to south. It's more attractive to have a hotel located close to restaurants and ideally walking distance to them or on site like we had in Staunton and Marathon. Historically we have stayed at reasonably or value priced hotels with outside room entrances and bike parking in front of the room. Some areas that seem to meet the criteria with close restaurants are in Wyethville, Christainsburg, Roanoke, and Staunton. Some smaller venues include Galax or Hillsboro. Lexington has expensive lodging that time of year probably due to the two colleges there and graduations. Same for Blacksburg. Anyone have any knowledge or ideas of which one of these areas would make a good choice?
STDocLizard1
Lifer

Post by STDocLizard1 »

VMI Commencement is Tuesday, 5/16, with Washington & Lee Wednesday, 5/24, for the Baccalaureate service. The Bash would fall in between those weeks.

Take a look on Google Maps Satellite view and zero in on Applebee's in Lexington, Va. and check out the location.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Apple ... -79.419533

Still open to other suggestions.
ctRrider
Lifer

Post by ctRrider »

I was zooming so far in looking at Lexington that I completely missed the hotels in East Lexington! Looks like a good option and meets our criteria! Best Western, Holiday Inn Express in the same parking lot and walking distance to Applebee's and a Diary Queen! Devils Backbone micro brewery is just down the street for that nice end of day touch. Lexington is in the heart of some superb motorcycling roads! Let's go for it. Doc, do you want to check hotel availability? Would you want me to check anything?
STDocLizard1
Lifer

Post by STDocLizard1 »

ctRrider wrote:I was zooming so far in looking at Lexington that I completely missed the hotels in East Lexington! Looks like a good option and meets our criteria! Best Western, Holiday Inn Express in the same parking lot and walking distance to Applebee's and a Diary Queen! Devils Backbone micro brewery is just down the street for that nice end of day touch. Lexington is in the heart of some superb motorcycling roads! Let's go for it. Doc, do you want to check hotel availability? Would you want me to check anything?
If you would be kind enough to check with both hotels, I would appreciate it regarding rates(group discount & blocking till a certain date), availability, motorcycle parking, and that a few of us may be bringing a trailer from up north. See if they have conference room for Saturday Night.

Thanks,
ctRrider
Lifer

Post by ctRrider »

Will do.
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

How about the Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum in Weston, WV? Good roads, and all of us could apply for permanent residency.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
STDocLizard1
Lifer

Post by STDocLizard1 »

Looks like a good POI next time when we are in Marietta. Maybe they give tours. Not so sure about accommodations though. Looks creepy.
ctRrider
Lifer

Post by ctRrider »

Working on some reasonable prices and a block of 15 rooms for 5/18 through 5/20 in Lexington, Va. The best locations with an Applebee's and a Dairy Queen next door are the Holiday Inn Express and the Best Western, and their rates so far are from $119 to 129 per night depending on the night. Could go cheaper at a hotel a little further out such a Super 8 or a Motel 6 and you would have to ride to any food places. All the better hotels have competitive rates or are quoting a higher price, or are sold out for that weekend. Any comments?
STDocLizard1
Lifer

Post by STDocLizard1 »

ctRrider wrote:Working on some reasonable prices and a block of 15 rooms for 5/18 through 5/20 in Lexington, Va. The best locations with an Applebee's and a Dairy Queen next door are the Holiday Inn Express and the Best Western, and their rates so far are from $119 to 129 per night depending on the night. Could go cheaper at a hotel a little further out such a Super 8 or a Motel 6 and you would have to ride to any food places. All the better hotels have competitive rates or are quoting a higher price, or are sold out for that weekend. Any comments?
Any progress?
machew01
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 345

Post by machew01 »

[quote="Biff's R"]How about the Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum in Weston, WV? Good roads, and all of us could apply for permanent residency.

Be aware that the food sucks and there is no Dairy Queen.

mac
ctRrider
Lifer

TRe: Beakster Bash XIV 2017

Post by ctRrider »

Waiting for the contract to lock up 15 rooms at the Comfort Inn Virginia Horse Center in Lexington, Va. Dates are May 18 - 22. Should have the contract on Monday when I will have more information. There is a Country Cookin next door for fine dining and a Dairy Queen across the street.
STDocLizard1
Lifer

Post by STDocLizard1 »

All information for 2017 BBXIV is now directed here:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=35498