Perhaps having a Bmer is like a new born...

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Hidalgo
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Perhaps having a Bmer is like a new born...

Post by Hidalgo »

When my kids were born, I was afraid to do anything with them for the fear of breaking them. Last night I changed the oil on my bike for the first time right after I installed the new plate after registering the bike. I felt I was going to break it at the turn of every wrench. I recently purchased a torque wrench. Having never used one in the past I asked for lots of advice. When I told my mechanic friend that the filter required 11 Nm of torque and the oil plug 20 he exclaimed “That’s A LOT of torque”!! Which of course made me even more nervous. To make a long story short, I believe I torqued everything according to specs. I actually felt the crush washer flatten as I gave it the last twist. It felt similar to the feel you get when you strip a thread! Was I nervous I stripped it? ABSOLUTELY. I checked it a few times and it feels solid. I will know for sure in about 6,000 miles. HA!! I think Peels labeled me properly during my Spline thread; I am a bit paranoid with this bike. Is the crush washer feeling normal?

Best,

Gil
peels
Basic User

Re: Perhaps having a Bmer is like a new born...

Post by peels »

absolutely normal.

I was telling someone My beemer is like a teenage girlfriend. always wanting attention. if you dont talk to her for awhile, she breaks down and doesnt function until you massage her shoulders thoroughly and shower her with costly gifts. moral of that story: don't leave your bmw alone too long, and youll be fine.

HAHAHA German machines are often this way. BMW is at the forefront of this.

really though, hidalgo. sure Ive had a few missteps, and problems... but after the few times Iv'e taken it apart, I'm pretty confident in this bike. HEll, my 1200 mile trip after almost completely dismantling the drive train TWICE, and it worked fine sealed that for me. go ride, the paranoia should diminish. :)
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
Hidalgo
Basic User

Post by Hidalgo »

The paranoia will diminish at the same time the enjoyment and delight with this machine grows. So many questions and clarifications about these mystical German bikes. Do I remove the carbon filter under the seat? Do I remove the Servo-ABS? Do I replace the brake lines?
The only thing I will do for now is ride it like I stole it! The rest I will figure out as I go. (AND GO I WILL!)
Remow2112
Basic User

Post by Remow2112 »

Wow, I have never used a torque wrench on an oil drain bolt in my life. I salute you!

Dan...
Hidalgo
Basic User

Post by Hidalgo »

Perhaps the salute will turn to rolled eyes when you learn that I used Mobil 1 synthetic (15W-50) and a $8.00 Fram filter. A friend who used to own an R1200 assured me he always used this combination with great results. I am also feeling guilty about that!
Remow2112
Basic User

Post by Remow2112 »

I am all for the oil. Never the Fram oil filter.

Dan...
eburr
Basic User

Post by eburr »

And I am all about shell Rotella conventional (but Delo & Delvac are OK too) 15/40 at $12.95 a gallon and a good Wix or AC Delco filter. I change every 5K religiously so high mile syn. would buy me little. I also have never needed to use a torque wrench on drain plugs or oil filters. I have pretty developed sense of touch for such things and have never gotten myself in trouble with an average of 25 bikes a year buying, wrenching and selling. And the results have been published many times on-line-Fram sucks. Use a better filter please and maybe don't be so crazy about the oil. But that is me.