Commuting to work in DC summer heat, don't like side cases, and I sweat profusely

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

MThomas

Commuting to work in DC summer heat, don't like side cases, and I sweat profusely

Post by MThomas »

add to that it's a long walk from the bike lot to my office.
I'm planning on taking the bike to work on a regular this summer and trying to mentally map out how I'm going to deal with the logistics.
My best "plan" thus far has been:
1. Take a small backpack that contains both my work clothes (it's ok to wear bike boots to work) and an expandable mesh duffle.
(I'd rather not wear my work clothes under my biking jacket/pants because of my profuse sweating, it starts immediately, is a heavy sweat, and takes a while to cool off, it really is the perfect trifecta)
2. Take off the jacket, pants, and backbrace and put them all in the mesh duffle along with the small backpack itself.
(I'd rather not attach these bulky cases since I dislike the way they look)
3. Go to the restroom and swap my shorts and t-shirt (that were under my biking garb), to my work clothes.
4. Carry the mesh duffle with everything in it to the office.

The main PITD in the above scenario is the carrying of the mesh duffle that would contain: bike pants, bike jacket, gloves, backbrace, and small backpack to the office.

Is my only option to buy the cases or has anyone thought of something better?
2004 R1150r Non-ABS
If each of us were to get one other person on a bike, we'd double our presence
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Re: Commuting to work in DC summer heat, don't like side cases, and I sweat profusely

Post by sweatmark »

Always wanted to commute via motorcycle, not an option for my job.

But if I were you (and for reference, I did live in DC area many years ago - during a sticky summer)...

1. wear workout shorts & shirt under moto gear;
2. use moto jacket with built-in back pad, instead of separate back protector;
3. bring week's worth of work clothes on Monday, pack it back home at end of week as needed;
4. stash appropriate work shoes under desk;
5. install hard case(s) on bike for helmet, moto gear (big cheap tail case?).

If workplace had fitness equipment, then you ride in, change into work clothes, earn gas & beer & rent money, change back into workout gear, exercise, moto gear on, ride home (or to the gym if no workplace fitness), finally back home. Fresh workout gear each day = quick drying, inexpensive.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
MThomas

Re: Commuting to work in DC summer heat, don't like side cases, and I sweat profusely

Post by MThomas »

Step #3 sounds like the ticket, thanks!
2004 R1150r Non-ABS
MThomas

Post by MThomas »

thought more about this and I think answer to the jacket, pants, and backbrace is a cable that goes through the jacket sleeve and pants leg and hooks into the helmet lock.

I do this for my neckbrace already.
The neckbrace opens so if I ran a cable through it, anyone could open the brace and the cable would be moot.
However there are a couple slits in the front of the brace.
I went to the hardware store, bought a plastic coated wire cable and a pair of dual port ferrules.
I looped each end of the cable back through the ferrule to make a loop at each end (I had to do this with both ends through the neck brace and used the onsite swaging tool to crimp the ferrules onto the cables.
(a picture would help but I can't figure out how to import here)

Using the same process I'm just going to get a longer cable that can go through a jacket sleeve and a pants leg, de-gear in the lot, run everything through the looped cable, and put each cable end loop through the helmet lock.

Then the only thing I have to carry is the small backpack with work clothes and the helmet itself.
I throw on the work clothes in the restroom and voilah
2004 R1150r Non-ABS
EasyBee
Basic User
Donating Member #: 61

Post by EasyBee »

Where do you park your bike. Inside or outside? Is the bike and the gear reasonably safe in that spot? A thief now has a bike, a helmet en your pants and your coat. Comfortable for taking the lot. If outside, what do you do when a big rainshower pops up? I prefer this. Helmet on the helmet lock and my riding gear in a topcase. Out of site and in a dry spot.
And yes, we are allowed to park the bike on the pavement as long as pedestrians can safely pass on the sidewalk.
8790 Adaptive, Akrapovic, Hyperpro, Ilmberger, Bagster, MRA, paintsprayed wheels, BMW panniers.
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

MThomas,
Here in Georgia (USA) it gets really hot in summer. In my 5th year of retirement I never needed the extra storage of system side cases on my then new 2009 F800ST so I settled on a $116 "scooter" Givi rear top case, that can hold my full face helmet. It's so out-of-the-way I don't even see it or feel it's presence while riding. When I need more storage, a filled-up big backpack (or 2) strapped on the seat behind me (it's too hot to wear it) nearly equals those expensive 'cooling airflow killing' side cases.
There are ventilated armored riding jackets that will decrease the storage spaces needed and provide the excellent road speed cooling you'll appreciate. The worst part is the walking distance carrying the work outfit after work when it's a lot hotter than the AM walk.

Image Image Image
Last edited by CycleRob on Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
MThomas

Post by MThomas »

As far as stealing is concerned, a cable runs through everything (the pants, jacket, braces, and helmet) and locks into the helmet lock.
The thief would have to cut the cable to steal all the gear and a larger cable is actually easier to cut that a skinny (metal) cable since the skinny cables tend to fray within the wire cutter and then it becomes a bending-back-and-forth exercise (which takes more time than a single clean cut), also the thief would have to have a wire cutter on hand. The lot is reasonably safe as well.

As far as rain is concerned, the braces are plastic except for a thin layer of surface padding in the back brace which can be hung out to dry. The pants are kevlar and the jacket is waterproof so an unexpected shower wouldn't render my gear useless.
This method also allows for the helmet to be placed upright so the inner padding isn't exposed to water like it is when it's on its' side hooked up to the helmet lock.

I bought the materials and once I make it I'll attempt to post pictures to better describe what I'm doing, I think this could be helpful.
2004 R1150r Non-ABS
EasyBee
Basic User

Post by EasyBee »

In case you still want to know how to post a picture here.
It's explained in this threat
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=35656

And where it says Photobucket, you can ofcourse use any other site. But the picture must be viewable for everybody, not just members of that site.
8790 Adaptive, Akrapovic, Hyperpro, Ilmberger, Bagster, MRA, paintsprayed wheels, BMW panniers.
MThomas

Post by MThomas »

Photobucket isn't usable for me.
It doesn't tell you that a username is already in use until you've filled out and submitted the registration form.
Then the fields are cleared and you start all over again.
After spending the better part of the morning attempting to set up an account and straying farther and farther from any other username I use and can remember, I figured Photobucket is a dud until their registration screen catches up to other registration pages.

Edit: These images aren't showing up on my machine, pls advise if you're able to view (or not)
2004 R1150r Non-ABS
EasyBee
Basic User

Post by EasyBee »

And where it says Photobucket, you can ofcourse use any other site where you can post photo
MThomas

Post by MThomas »

That's what I did - I'm linking to photos on my gdrive.

If you right click where it says Image, and choose the Open image in new tab option, does it appear?
2004 R1150r Non-ABS
EasyBee
Basic User

Post by EasyBee »

Yes. But it's not really user friendly, you will have to give that instruction, every time you post a photo.
MThomas

Post by MThomas »

Apparently Gdrive doesn't translate well with the image tags here, I'll look for another Photobucket-esque site
2004 R1150r Non-ABS
MThomas

Post by MThomas »

Where I work I can't wear jeans (which I hear don't offer much protection anyway) but I may be able to get away with these:
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/rok ... ing-chinos

Only problem is at $450 a pop, ouch! That's quite a bit more than the full panel testing you take after a rendezvous with a chick you just met. Anyone found a less expensive version? I havne't
2004 R1150r Non-ABS
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

I cant live without the BMW system cases. I cant recommend them enough. I use my bike like a car. Hell I can fit charcoal in one side, beer and all the bbq food supplies in the other. even a kids helmet, if I'M going to pick him up at soccer or school.

there are other ways to be sure. but I LOOOOOVE mine, refuse to take them off. Leave my rain gear in there. Bring my lunch. jogging gear, when I go at lunch to run...

gear. I generally just ride in Jeans, and protective jacket, and helmet. colder weather, or if i have a meeting where I need to wear slacks....Ill slap on the protective overpants. My rule of thumb...most days... if its going to take me longer to get ready than the 10 minutes it takes to ride to work, Ill just drive. :) Unless Ive got a ride planned after work or something.

40mpg and awesome vs 17mpg and boring. I'd rather ride. LOL
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
EasyBee
Basic User

Post by EasyBee »

MThomas wrote:Where I work I can't wear jeans (which I hear don't offer much protection anyway) but I may be able to get away with these:
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/rok ... ing-chinos

Only problem is at $450 a pop, ouch! That's quite a bit more than the full panel testing you take after a rendezvous with a chick you just met. Anyone found a less expensive version? I havne't
OK, you state that you sweat a lot in summer heat. Put on two pair of pants instead of one an try it.
Because that's what you get with special motorcycle pants with protection. I use them :D , because it's more comfortable on summer rides than full leather or motorcycle pants, but they are warmer because of the built in protection. My motorcycle jeans are full kevlar protection jeans. It's double layer (jeans + kevlar) compared to ordinary jeans. But I don't wear them to the office (I'm in the IT departement) because they are too warm.
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/rukka-airider-pants
I bought these last year. Love them. You get protection and air flow. These are clearance now so the sizes are limited. I slide them over my work pants although they are not an overpant.
Buckster '03R
MThomas

Post by MThomas »

I have summer biking pants that I am currently wearing over my dress slacks.

They're fine for now but since I wear cheap suits, when it gets hotter those suit slacks are going to be all over me like, well...a cheap suit.

So my options are:
a) a pants change or
b) these: https://www.ridersline.com.au/shop/men/ ... pants.html
Those chinos are $240 which I may be able to swallow but they only come in one color so even if I bought 5 pairs, one fore each day, I'm perceived as "that guy" (who wears the same pants to work each day).
Also they're coming from Australia, not sure how the sizing matches up, are they reputable, will these be too warm, etc etc

I think with a clean solution to this issue we can get a lot more people on bikes
2004 R1150r Non-ABS
R4R&R
Basic User
Donating Member #: 293

Post by R4R&R »

I've been motorcycle commuting year 'round in the DC area for almost 20 years. I loved having my system cases once I got the BMW with system cases, but eventually I ended up getting a set of the "City" lids for them and made it even better. In the summertime I wear a "mesh" jacket and mesh riding pants which keeps the sweat under control as long as you are moving. Colder months I use the gerbings heater jacket liner. I know trying to buy all of that at once gets pricey, but it's worth it. I typically wear dress shirt/tie and casual "Dockers" to work daily and I leave two pairs of dress shoes at my desk to change into from the riding boots. I would use the system cases to lock my gear in and use the bike helmet lock, but I've usually been able to park my bike in garages, but did have one job I parked outside in a parking lot but it was right outside my building so I lugged my gear inside and stashed at my desk. I currently work in Pentagon City, park in my company supplied private garage and wear my gear up to my desk and change my shoes. In my early days of doing this I wore blue jeans on the bike and took my dockers in a backpack (was on a Suzuki at the time) and changed in the mens room. Not ideal, but then I refined my process.

It can be done, but you have to figure out what works for you. Let me know if you want to meet up and I can give you more advise since we are so close to each other!

Good luck!

<edit>Get a set of Froggs Toggs for when it rains. Depending on your commute, a ride in the rain can be much better than sitting in traffic (I use the HOV lanes daily for a traffic free commute!)
John
Member 293 (I think)
'17 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX
MThomas

Post by MThomas »

I go from Springfield to Pentagon City too. We can meet up on the next bike/car repair project that either of us has.

At first the HOV lanes seemed intimidatingly fast (when looking over at them while idling in the regular lanes) but I took Towerworkers' advice and now I'm using them.

I have a jacket liner that's waterproof, those overpants that are waterproof, and waterproof boots so I should be set. I can carry my work clothes in a waterproof backpack as well. In the winter I have a warm/waterproof set of Tourmaster pants and jacket.
My only apprehension isn't comfort but the fact that texters, er drivers, aren't going to have the same stopping distance as when dry and they can rearend me as a result, especially at the Pentagon City exit where things back up at the exit ramp.
2004 R1150r Non-ABS