Commuting to work in DC summer heat, don't like side cases, and I sweat profusely

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

R4R&R
Basic User
Donating Member #: 293

Re: Commuting to work in DC summer heat, don't like side cases, and I sweat profusely

Post by R4R&R »

MThomas wrote:I go from Springfield to Pentagon City too. We can meet up on the next bike/car repair project that either of us has.
I ordered a new front tire and expect it to be in by Friday (tomorrow). If it does come in, I'm planning on changing the tire Saturday and you're welcome to come over and offer moral support while I wrestle it on. I need to get my bike inspected too but that can happen later in the weekend.
MThomas wrote:At first the HOV lanes seemed intimidatingly fast (when looking over at them while idling in the regular lanes) but I took Towerworkers' advice and now I'm using them.
The HOV lanes do move fast - I'm often 'not' passing anyone at 85MPH...but they are much safer than the normal lanes since there are fewer exits/entrances.

PM me if you want to get together and chat more.
John
Member 293 (I think)
'17 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX
MThomas

Re: Commuting to work in DC summer heat, don't like side cases, and I sweat profusely

Post by MThomas »

Tried my cable tie system today, it didn't turn out well.
It took longer than expected to fumble with getting all my stuff sorted and in place and then running the cable through everything whilst in the hot sun.
Tomorrow I'll just put my work clothes in a backpack, walk inside where it's cooler, and spend the time changing in the bathroom.
2004 R1150r Non-ABS
If each of us were to get one other person on a bike, we'd double our presence
MThomas

Post by MThomas »

MThomas wrote: a) a pants change or
b) these: https://www.ridersline.com.au/shop/men/ ... pants.html
a) above isn't working smoothly for me : (
I'm lugging in my helmet, jacket, and work clothes in a backpack and the only areas to change are 3'x3' bathroom stalls with one hook at most.
Taking off the shoes, hanging up everything, shoe laces flying into the toilet, etc I realize is a first world problem but I can't help but think there has to be a better way. (What's been helping but only slightly is to take only the work pants with me and change those but the bathroom is pretty far from my cube)

I contacted the seller in AU re b) above since I'm an irregular size to see what the options are and if I can get close to me size/proportion I'll TOFTT and order a pair. That will alleviate the aforementioned inconvenience 2 days/week and since we're allowed to wear jeans on Friday I'll wear motorcycle jeans which gives me three days of relief.

However, in the event that they can't produce a fitting pants for me, I can wear knee guards over the work pants but is there a hip guard that can fit over the work pants (all I'm seeing online are the form fitting shorts that are worn underneath pants which doesn't alleviate the inconvenience of having to change)?
2004 R1150r Non-ABS
MThomas

Post by MThomas »

My solution has evolved to a two-wire system:
Wire 1 runs through the neck brace which also runs through the back brace upon attaching to the helmet lock.
Wire 2 runs into one jacket sleeve and out the other.
As you can see, the helmet lock now holds the jacket, both braces, and helmet.
The only thing I have to carry into the office is the backpack and I'm wearing biking pants over the work pants (on the way out I change into only the bike pants and put the work pants in the backpack).
The drawback: the passenger helmet is now on the passenger portion of the seat held down by a cargo net and is unsecured. I used to have it on the helmet lock but both helmets won't fit on the same lock without several minutes of finagling which, in the heat of summer, every second to disrobe and get in the building counts
2004 R1150r Non-ABS