12K Miles Weird

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Bogdan
Basic User

12K Miles Weird

Post by Bogdan »

I thought I misunderstood...so I read it again. My Haynes manual stated that the recommended interval for oil changes was 12k miles/10k km. Maybe an error in editing...I checked the little maintenance book that came with the bike - sure enough, same thing. Now I've heard repeatedly that the old 3k miles no longer applies with recent engines and quality oils - still, I'm surprised. Now, when I got my 2004 R1150R I put in synthetic oil for the usual reasons. After a while, the bike exhibited small leaks - not enough to need the addition of oil before the first change, which I did after 5k miles. With a switch to dino the leaks stopped. Would the leaks have gotten worse if I'd continued with synthetic? Leaks make me nervous. I've got a trip from here, Colorado to St.Louis/Chicago planed soon - easily good get 100 degrees; that's rougher on dino than man-made. So what do you more experienced oil head types think ? Also, in the 12k miles note....thats the time they tell you to check valves....is that too long an interval? I don't repeatedly rev the hell out of the engine. Any thoughts appreciated.
MThomas

Re: 12K Miles Weird

Post by MThomas »

I too have a 2004 R1150r and the shop I take it to says to adjust the valves every 4k miles.

I use fs oil in cars and bikes.
For the cars they say 5k miles, I do it at 3k and it's jet black when I drain.

Since wrt the bike I'm paranoid and oil is relatively cheap compared to other maintenance items, I put a bike oil change on my todo it whenever the oil gets dark in the window which is just under 1k miles for me but when I get around to actually changing it it may be closer to 2k.

I don't worry about burning off oil or even a slight leak as long as I don't have to top it off too frequently. My 996 would burn a quart every 1k miles and that was well within the range of what was considered normal consumption. My 951 would burn off a quart every 500 miles but that was a Turbo and I ran it pretty hard. My Jetta leaked oil due to a valve cover gasket needing replacement but I never got to that project until years later (it was easier to just op off the oil when it was low), and no ill effects.
I'm new to bikes which could be a whole different situation but FWIW my 2004 R1150r had a leak due to a worn rubber ring at the fill cap and since that was replaced I haven't noticed any burning/leaking
2004 R1150r Non-ABS
If each of us were to get one other person on a bike, we'd double our presence
R4R&R
Basic User
Donating Member #: 293

Post by R4R&R »

The owners manual says change engine oil and filter every 6k miles (10k kilometers). Trans and final drive oils every 12k miles. Use an oil that meets the specifications. Some will argue to change the oil every 3k miles for "insurance". BMW gave a three year unlimited mileage warranty with the requirement of oil changes every 6k miles and I followed that. My bike has just over 166k miles on it, and I followed their recommended service intervals. No problems so far...I can't complain.
John
Member 293 (I think)
'17 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX
Bogdan
Basic User

Post by Bogdan »

John, Did you use synthetic or dino? What year is your ride? Maybe in my year,2004,they made a mistake in the maintenance manual. Curious that Haynes repeated that. 6k miles certainly seems more reasonable. 166k miles with 6k oil changes makes a good case for following manufacturer's recommendation.
s
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

i have no exact #. usually between 6 and 10k. and I use Dino.

valves and balanced TB's once a season.
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
R4R&R
Basic User
Donating Member #: 293

Post by R4R&R »

Bogdan wrote:John, Did you use synthetic or dino? What year is your ride? Maybe in my year,2004,they made a mistake in the maintenance manual. Curious that Haynes repeated that. 6k miles certainly seems more reasonable. 166k miles with 6k oil changes makes a good case for following manufacturer's recommendation.
s
Mine is a 2004 "dual spark" (manufactured in April 2003). I'm pretty sure all of the "oil heads" (R11xx) have the same maintenance schedule. Wintertime oil changes I typically used dino or dino/synthetic blend. The warmer months I tried to use all synthetic.

6k mile services also specified valve adjustments and throttle body sync. I think the brake/clutch fluid flush was every two years. You also need to check on the fuel filter interval too.

I have all of my services tracked in a spreadsheet, mostly including references to the specific supplies I used and costs so I can give more info if needed.
John
Member 293 (I think)
'17 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

John I meant to get a pic of your odometer as well as that of Jeff's couple weeks back. I think his had about 110K. Mine just turned 80K, I'd be at 110K if I hadn't got sick back in 2010. That's 350K+ for our three combined. That's a good testimonial for BMW!

As far as oil....I change about every 3500 miles and run Castrol, non-synthetic. Same in gearbox and FD. I tried synthetic in the gearbox on my first R, an '03 when it hit 18K. Output shaft seal started leaking within 1000 mi. BMW replaced seal, never tried synthetic since. Totaled bike at 44K. I guess if I had started with synthetic possibly things might have been OK. Too many miles to change now.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
dandeldesierto
Basic User

Post by dandeldesierto »

The original post almost certainly indicates a typo in the manual since 12K miles equals almost 20k Kilomenters, not 10K.