All in one biking boots: tall sole, weatherproof, no laces, and work appropriate

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

MThomas

All in one biking boots: tall sole, weatherproof, no laces, and work appropriate

Post by MThomas »

Currently I'm wearing a pair of work-acceptable, over-the ankle shoes that are lace-tied and non waterproof but has a thick sole and heel so I'm at good 1.5" taller.
The extra height is very handy for when I want to move the bike around while on it.
I don't like the laces since they're not easy on easy off.
They're getting to the point of replacement so I'm looking for a new pair that:

a) Have a thick sole and heel that give me the extra height to move/adjust the bike while on it (I do a lot of city driving)

b) Have a non-lace tied closure system

c) Aesthetically I can wear in to work so I don't have to bring an extra pair of shoes

d) (a "nice to have") are waterproof

Anything come to mind?
2004 R1150r Non-ABS
If each of us were to get one other person on a bike, we'd double our presence
lcarlson
Donating Member #: 0

Re: All in one biking boots: tall sole, weatherproof, no laces, and work appropriate

Post by lcarlson »

Lawrence Carlson
Redding, CT

2002 R1150R (sold)
2016 BMW F700GS
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
gregor
Lifer

Re: All in one biking boots: tall sole, weatherproof, no laces, and work appropriate

Post by gregor »

http://www.altberg.co.uk/category/motorcycle-boots/
Don't know if you can get them in the USA but they are superb.
I use them with an orthopaedic insole to give arch support etc.
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

gregor wrote:http://www.altberg.co.uk/category/motorcycle-boots/
Don't know if you can get them in the USA but they are superb.
I use them with an orthopaedic insole to give arch support etc.
They can be a bit hot (they're lined), but they are superb. I'm currently using a pair of Police issue 'clubmans' (IIRC). I've had them about 6 years or so now, and they're still utterly waterproof, if battered.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
MThomas

Post by MThomas »

All those prices are too high, I went to the local bikeshop and bought a pair of tourmasters for $140 (US), they seem well made and the salesperson said they won't get hot like a lot of others
2004 R1150r Non-ABS
MThomas

Post by MThomas »

Got the boots in, easy in/easy out but they are ridiculously uncomfortable and I do a decent amount of walking.
Keeping a pair at work isn't a feasible option since I go to other locations so I'd have to keep a pair at each location so now the question becomes, aside from the waterproof factor, what do motorcycle boots offer over a regular over-the-ankle mid-rise boot?
2004 R1150r Non-ABS
R4R&R
Basic User
Donating Member #: 293

Post by R4R&R »

I have the "TCX X-Five WP Boots" and they are ok for walking in but I wouldn't take the dog for a walk in them. This is my second pair of TCX X5 boots, and my first pair seemed like a better quality leather (i.e. softer). I got the impression the Tourmaster boots are stiff leather so I stayed away from them.

The TCX boots have been reliably waterproof in some pretty nasty storms. I would buy them again.
John
Member 293 (I think)
'17 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

I have 2 sets of BMW boots. Got one on Closeout for $77 in 2003, and still ride in them. The newer(All Round boot) pair was also on sale at around $160. They are probably 7-8 years old. Both have been exceptional, and the old pair is one of my most comfortable shoes period. Feet have been wet once in each pair. Got caught in a downpour without rain gear and the water ran down my leg into the boots.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
KeithB
Basic User

Post by KeithB »

It's hard to get something that will fit all your requirements.
What makes a motorcycle boot safe and effective in a crash , generally, will not make for a boot that is comfortable to walk in.
As for work appropriate, it depends on where you work.
It seems to me that to have a good looking boot that is comfortable for walking, you are going to sacrifice the effectiveness that a well designed motorcycle boot will give.
It's a compromise.
MThomas

Post by MThomas »

That makes sense.
However, donning a footwear with only one purpose which is riding isn't feasible for most everyday situations. I see the biking boot as something for long trips.
For day in day out, commuting to work, going to the gym, running errands, etc the biking boots are too impractical and so is carrying an extra pair of shoes and constantly changing.
Not to mention the lack of sensitivity when shifting.
I could be wrong but the part requiring protection the most protection is the ankle bone. I haven't seen a clip-on brace around the ankle that would allow on to wear whatever shoe they wanted.
What about a pair of high tops that are well padded around the ankles? Not exactly work appropriate but I used to wear black/black adidas shoes to work and no one said anything
2004 R1150r Non-ABS
KeithB
Basic User

Post by KeithB »

"For day in day out, commuting to work, going to the gym, running errands, etc ...I see the biking boot as something for long trips."
What difference does the distance make? You can get in a crash on the way to work just as easily.
One has to decide what compromise to make.
I will admit to using my "cop style" work boots for around town but am well aware this is not a "motorcycle boot"
There are nice, comfortable touring boots available that are waterproof and afford some ankle protection and may be worth looking at.
MThomas

Post by MThomas »

It's become apparent that no manufacturer has made a boot that fits all the above criteria.
Originally I sought: "tall sole, weatherproof, no laces, and work appropriate".
I'll now relax the criteria above and search for a protective footwear that I can shift in and walk in for a reasonable distance, say 1/4 mile.
2004 R1150r Non-ABS
MThomas

Post by MThomas »

Those are perfect, depending on whether one can walk in them or not.
What I do in those situations is have Coleman order and try them on when they come in. If something isn't kosher it goes on the shelf and they sell it to someone else
2004 R1150r Non-ABS
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Check out the City Business boots in the "24/7" series:
http://www.tcxboots.com/eng/prodotti-de ... tegoria=13

My go-to riding gear includes an old pair of Oxtar Jupiter boots. Oxtar became TCX back in 2013 IIRC. The old Jupiter boots are still kickin' it 10+ years (50k+ miles) later, are still waterproof via Gore-Tex liner, and (amazingly) somehow don't stink. I bought a pair of the TCX-version Jupiters (http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle- ... x-jupiter/) as backups, still new in box, because the boots have been so good to me.

I don't know if current TCX gear is still as good.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

i bought these because I hate wearing boots, even more than I hate sneakers.... now only wear these on longer trips... they are "temporarily rainproof if caught in light shower" but a 7hr deluge, they are not. I learned this the hard way. LOL

BUT. They ARE comfortable enough to walk around in once you jump off the bike.

again, I hate shoes in general. I wear Sanuks(slippers with soles haha) most days.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/fir ... h-lo-boots
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
windy
Basic User

Post by windy »

Try Cruiserworks boots; they are weatherproof , light ,comfortable wellington (pullon) type boot . I've been wearing mine since 2002 . They are resoleable .
AndyfromPoland
Basic User

Post by AndyfromPoland »

I got some BMW Urban Boots in black about a year ago for precisely this reason. Really didn't like them at all. The upper kind of flopped/sagged when walking, giving the impression of wearing wellies. Didn't feel right at work. Sold them (for almost what I paid).

For boots to wear on the bike and take straight into work I use Red Wing Harvesters. 8 inch for a bit more protection, grippy sole for the lights, comfortable and pretty much waterproof for riding, look great off-bike, with jeans, trousers, or even with a suit. OK, they're lace-up, but a double-bow works fine.
Member #69
Feeding the Rat
MThomas

Post by MThomas »

I ended up getting these velcro boots. Very comfortable, over the ankle, and I can wear them in the office:
https://www.shoes.com/apex-6-ambulator- ... 02/1615716
2004 R1150r Non-ABS
gregor
Lifer

Post by gregor »

Fair enough. But if you want proper protective footwear the choice may not be so easy.
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin