blinking abs light

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

krowl

blinking abs light

Post by krowl »

I am dreading posting this because of the answers I am going to get. So last night I took a short ride and when I got back the warning and abs were both lit and the abs light was blinking rapidly. I also notice when I hit the front brake or rear brake the servo is staying on all the time. My bike is a 2002 with 18,000 with integral abs.
I tried it again today and checked the battery and fluid levels and both are fine. Is this the kiss of death that I have been reading about? The servoectomey seems a little intimidating and I would appreciate any input that I can get. Another question I have is this bike safe to ride or am I done until it's fixed? ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
peels
Basic User

Re: blinking abs light

Post by peels »

it freaked me a out a bit too.... but it isnt that intimidating.

first do a full flush, all 4 circuits, clean your calipers, could be something stuck in hoses.... or dirt calipers/pistons. if you DO find its shot....do some searching. theres a recent thread, my old thread, and countless others here. read them

AND read this. your bike is a 2002(like mine) and if its not a rockster.... this will work for you.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread ... ABS-system

i would NOT ride it with a blinking light. thus the reason I removed it. IF it DID die, you dont want theat happening on the road.
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

I agree with peels. Do all that he said. Make sure your battery is good. Slightly low voltage can be an issue. As he said I wouldn't ride it till you have it working properly. Annual ABS service on that system is a requirement. Mine failed and I pulled the system using the same instructions on peel's link. It's not that bad. I spent a couple days farting around with it. Someone a bit faster (and younger) could probably do it in a day. If you do find you need to pull the system be sure you read the link in it's entirety prior to starting! You DO NOT need to cut the plug off of the ABS wiring harness. Good luck! If you need help message me and I'll be glad to walk you thru it.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
krowl

Post by krowl »

Thank you guys for your input. I don't know what I would do without this website and the fellow beemer riders help. The one thing that bothers me about this problem is as soon as I hit the brake the brakes (front or rear) the servo runs continuously. Is that a normal failure? I think I worked up the courage to
tackle the seroectomy and now I am almost looking forward to it. Thank you again guys for your help!
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

By continuously you mean it keeps running after you release the brake? The servo system comes on (whining sound) when you apply the brake and goes silent when you release the pedal/handbrake. And you get that power brakes feel.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
krowl

Post by krowl »

The problem is mine never goes silent. When I apply the brake and release it the servo continues to run. I have to turn the bike off to silence the servo.
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

that doesn't sound good. do the brakes work ok whilst that's happening?

regardless, flush them now. do not ride it.

otherwise, possible bad pressure sensor? never really got into HOW it works. but it should stop when you let off. maybe its not reaching the required pressure. that scares me, like it could randomly apply or release pressure...? Mine did that once, and that was when I was flushing, and let way too much fluid out, because its always under presssure. (that was the final point I decided to remove)

we are here for you if you do tackle the servo removal. Just like tower.... I promise, its not too bad....it only took me a few hours after work. and then the next afternoon to clean up my mess. take your time don't get in a hurry. follow the wiring splicing instructions to the letter. will cost you zero dollars, minus supplies....I don't miss it... though I noticed last week, my gas tank still has the little sticker. :)

the ONLY difficult part in this.... when you get everything out of the way, and it comes time to pull the servo and connector..... there IS a feeling of being a bomb squad soldier diffusing a bomb. like, a no return point...when you actually snip the wires. some folks keep the little module intact, which is ok too, but I yanked it all. Take a swig of Newcastle, close eyes, and cut LOL

heres one I Printed this out.... detailed photos. basically, all youre doing... going from 4 brake lines down to 2. rear goes straight from pedal to caliper, and front goes straight from lever to calipers. instead of in/out of servo.

http://bmwtcnsw.org.au/techfile/R1150GS ... emoval.pdf

then use this simple wiring guide from the ukgser thread posted earlier. (note, look closely at wires, I was duped by brown/red vs just brown lol)

1) Remove the blue ABS relay from the fusebox. This will extinguish the 'Brake Failure' warning light on the dash and as a bonus can be used to operate the brake light !! (no need for new switches as in other methods )
2) Strip back the sheathing from the ABS multi pin connector - identify wires and connect as follows
a) Grey/White wire (tail light feed) Grey/Black wire (12v feed) cut both and join together - thats your tail light sorted.
b) White/Yellow wire (front brake switch) and Yellow/Green wire (rear brake switch). Cut these two wires and join them to link brake switches
Now the wiring to the redundant 4 pin ABS relay
c) Pin 1 - Connect white/blue wire
d) Pin 2 - connect the THIN solid brown wire in the loom to provide a ground ( careful here - there are several brown wires c/w coloured traces and a Thick brown wire)
e) Pin 3 - Find the Yellow/Black wire and the solid green wire. Cut and connect these together and then to pin 3 of the relay
f) Pin 4 - Connect grey/yellow (tail light feed) to this pin
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

heres my thread. (there are others)

http://r1150r.org/board/viewtopic.php?f ... al#p249468
two wheel tango
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by two wheel tango »

Not sure if this matches your symptoms precisely; but worth a read nonetheless:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/2 ... n.1223245/

*If* you're interested in preserving the ABS there might be some options to look into or at least eliminate before you go all in with removal. Might get some other ideas searching/ posting on advrider.
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

two wheel tango wrote:Not sure if this matches your symptoms precisely; but worth a read nonetheless:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/2 ... n.1223245/

*If* you're interested in preserving the ABS there might be some options to look into or at least eliminate before you go all in with removal. Might get some other ideas searching/ posting on advrider.

thats interesting. a sticky relay could do that.
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

hey found this on a google search! check your brake switches!!!! (duh)

The servo staying on hints at a brake lever that is too tight or not releasing; sticky switch

read through this thread...

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.ph ... ntinuously
krowl

Post by krowl »

Yeah I checked the brake switches. They seem to be fine and it doesn't matter what switch I hit the front or rear will cause the servo to run continuously.
This is really weird!