My Laminar Lip blew off!

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

My Laminar Lip blew off!

Post by towerworker »

Out for a 200+ mile ride today. It all went well until on the last leg home we jumped on I-81 for a bit. Cracked it a bit to pass a truck and I guess a big blast of wind lifted my laminar lip up and off my windshield. My friend behind me saw it sail way up and even cleared him as he passed it. I didn't even try to get off the interstate to double back and try to locate it. Too hazardous to attempt that on 81. I've run that thing for 100K+ miles without a hitch. I guess the hook&loop fasteners were tired. If anyone has one (for the BMW touring shield) that they would consider parting with please let me know! That little bit extra of plexiglass sure makes a difference for me when it comes to highway speeds.

Wayne
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
Milanator
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1171

Re: My Laminar Lip blew off!

Post by Milanator »

Could you relate how it was with the lip and now without?

I have the touring windshield on an 02 1150r and had a several hour trip this weekend - highway at about 75-80 and back roads as well, albeit slower. I had replaced the original with an identical one made by ZTechnik (who I understand manufactured the original for BMW). I find that with a FF helmet, I still get noise and some buffeting around the helmet (yes, do wear earplugs). If I bend forward, its quieter, since I'm just under the edge of the touring windshield. But it isn't a comfortable position for very long.
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

I'm sorry to have not responded sooner as I don't get notifications automatically. I'm 5'9" and have a Sargent seat that sits me probably an 1" higher than the stock seat. Without the lip I get wind full in the face and it's pretty noisy. The lip diverts the wind into the top of the helmet and makes a big difference. For me it could even stand to be an inch higher. I'm right now in the process of making an extension. I'm going to experiment with some plexiglass, stainless hardware and so on. I'll report back when I'm done.
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
Bogdan
Basic User

Post by Bogdan »

After riding back, after purchase, from Canada to Colorado, I knew that something had to be done. The BMW ( I think ) windshield was sturdy and attached securely but.....it was just tool low. Like the previous posts stated - wind blast straight to the head and yes....even with earplugs, too much noise; this was exacerbated by my preference of a dual sport helmet minus face shield. I decided on a MRA X-CREEN from twisted throttle - the kind that bolts on with no drilling. I ride much better...for me, the right amount of wind. Mounting hardware looks delicate but has held through some severe weather - you do have to tighten once a while. Not cheap, $ 145, but I'd recommend it. I'm 5' 8" and have a Sargent ( maybe, can't find any labels ) seat. You might want to study the X-CREEN before fabricating your own.
ron prior
Basic User

Post by ron prior »

Another suggestion...With the BMW touring shield I get good results with the Wunderlich air deflector....very adjustable , and can be folded down out of the way when the temp climbs in traffic.
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

Ron...the Wunderlich looks very promising. I may look seriously at that. Thanks!
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
ron prior
Basic User

Post by ron prior »

If your 'stuck' on another Lip?...ping me, I have one not being used. I tried it, then the deflector , liked the deflector better.
Milanator
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1171

Post by Milanator »

Based on Ron Prior's note, I installed the Wunderlich air deflector on the BMW touring screen (02 R1150R). Its more to look though and around, but there is a noticeable improvement, at least for me, in wind noise and a major reduction in helmet buffeting.
EasyBee
Basic User
Donating Member #: 61

Post by EasyBee »

I prefer de "MRA Vario Touring Screen" or in Wunderlich language "Sport Screen Roadster Vario" .
Cannot find them on Wunderlich America but in Europe http://www.wunderlich.de/shop/en/sport- ... 003-1.html
I have had for three years now and does the job well, I'm 6'1".
8790 Adaptive, Akrapovic, Hyperpro, Ilmberger, Bagster, MRA, paintsprayed wheels, BMW panniers.