Bleed Screw

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Bogdan
Basic User

Bleed Screw

Post by Bogdan »

Influenced by posts on this very list ( thanks for that ) I'm gathering the stuff I'll need for the brake fluid change. The instructions state that on some bikes I'll need to replace the grub screw that covers the fill/bleed assembly. Is my ride, R1150R ABS, a bike that needs this replacement? Also...would a installing speed bleeders be worth it? I have no experience with this mod. Is this a generic item that fits many bikes or do I need special BMW speed bleeders. As usual..an advice/thoughts appreciated.
peels
Basic User

Re: Bleed Screw

Post by peels »

My 2002 has the screw. It is slightly less simple to use than a standard bleed screw. But works.

I left mine. it works fine.

its up to you...
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
sykospain
Donating Member #: 1

Post by sykospain »

I fitted the unduly-expensive Speed Bleed nipples to my Rockster 'cos I have a "thing" about clean hydraulic fluid, so I change it every year; clutch and brakes. Speed Bleed nipples make those jobs so much easier.
I just got mine from the usual BMW Spares distributors : - Motorworks, MotoBins and James Sherlock in Devon, my current favourite supplier.
Here's the size chart - seems mostly the same size fits most all...
http://www.speedbleeder.com/Motorcycle%20Sizes.htm
And for a "How To..." :-
http://www.speedbleeder.com/install.htm
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike
Bogdan
Basic User

Post by Bogdan »

Thanks for the advise, Sykospain. How many speed bleeders did you install? I'll think I'll purchase them but I'm confuse as to how many I need. I only see 1 on each caliper which makes for a total of 3. Am I missing something as the website says more. Do I really need to install them on the ABS unit? Also are they the 10mm x 1.0 variety?
sykospain

Post by sykospain »

Deleted - see next post
Last edited by sykospain on Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
sykospain

Post by sykospain »

Yes, Bogdan you need 3 and AFAIK there isn't really room on the ABS control unit because the Speed Bleeder is a bit longer than the usual nipple.
My bike is an OEM non-ABS anyway, so I have one SB on each of the front calipers plus one more onthe rear caliper. A total of three, but I also replaced the one on the end of the Clutch Slave Cylinder bleed hose, making a total of four.
You'll see the end of that hose tucked into a short foam sleeve zip-tied to the down tube of the frame under the right hand side of the driver's seat, immediatley behind the chrome helmet-lock. See :-

https://s26.postimg.org/eghdkdoax/Foam_ ... leeder.jpg

It's a b s o l u t el y e s s e n t i a l to change the clutch fluid every year.
sykospain

Post by sykospain »

Re Clutch fluid bleeding procedures using a Speed Bleeder nipple, here's a little Chris Harris video which as usual hits the nail smack on the head :-

https://alansykes.smugmug.com/Rockster- ... /i-X2nW37K

AL in s.e. Spain
DAM650
Basic User

Post by DAM650 »

i love that curmudgeon harris
2002F650GS ABS Black Betty 89K
2002R1150R ABS Misty Blue 48K