R1150SR Project Touring Bike

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

BadToTheBown
Donating Member #: 1

R1150SR Project Touring Bike

Postby BadToTheBown » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:25 pm

I know I'm new to the forum but I'm not new to the R1100S/R1200S Pelican forum where I started my last project bike (runs but not yet done). I like to post my builds and solicit help as I go.

I'm building this R1150SR (I added the S for Sport) to get my old lady to ride with me more and on longer trips. She's NOT good with distance on either my R1150S or my Ducati Hyperstrada and the RC-51 is a non-starter. The ONLY bike she ever was able to get comfortable on was my Harley Ultra (fell asleep on the back once). So I decided she needed something like that if I was to get her to ride more and go distance. Found a 2004 R1150R cheap, non-ABS and not running. I do want ABS, I want it to handle more like my R1150S bikes (had 2 previously), want it lower than the S-bikes (there goes the handling), backrest and touring capacity is mandatory, cruise control (not a Throttlemeister), some go, etc. So I'm going to attempt to blend some parts from my former R1150S bike with this one to make an R1150SR. now if I could just figure out how to post my pics....
2001 R1150S Lite Project Bike
2005 Honda RC-51 Project Bike
2014 Ducati Hyperstrada (HyperProject)

kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Re: R1150SR Project Touring Bike

Postby kirby » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:47 pm

Rockster has an S front end and rear end. Handles as good a an S IMO.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER

BadToTheBown

Postby BadToTheBown » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:46 pm

Believe that. I have a Rockster set of forks on my R1150S Project Bike. Same triple trees and fender too. I think Rocksters have an R final drive not the S final drive. The S has the speed sensor in the rear final drive (diff), so I'm using that since I'm adapting an a 1999 R1100S ABS and wiring harness. It will be a hybrid when it's done.

First disappointment, spent several hours this afternoon looking for a way to put my R1100S Remus high mount exhaust on the bike, have to raise the seat to do it, not doing that, so I'll be looking for a cat eliminator and something to lower a muffler to clear a full left bag. Really thought that Remus would have looked cool on the bike.

Kirya
Basic User

Postby Kirya » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:40 pm

It looks like you have a bond with oilheads. Deploying ABS to a non ABS bike and making suspension comfy for your passenger when improving handling is not an easy task (if it is even possible) and could be pricey (unless you have a pile of parts lying around). Good luck with it, and please keep us updated on your progress. It would be really interesting to see the journey and end result.

BadToTheBown

Postby BadToTheBown » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:23 pm

I do have piles of parts but I think you're right about the handling. How do I post pics?

Kirya
Basic User

Postby Kirya » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:29 pm

BadToTheBown wrote:How do I post pics?

upload your pics to some image hosting, like https://postimages.org/ and post links here

BadToTheBown

Postby BadToTheBown » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:17 am

Thanks for helping me. Haven't done this before this way...so we'll see if it works...

Bike as purchased...

Bike on the lift...she's halfway apart already (not evident in this pic)...
Last edited by BadToTheBown on Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:41 am, edited 12 times in total.

kirby

Postby kirby » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:59 am

My rockster has the speed sensor on the rear drive and it has the .7 6th gear. I assure you its sourced from the S.

BTW the rear drive is not a "diff", a "diff" is for a car where you have two wheels that can turn at different speeds.

Just say'n.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER

BadToTheBown

Postby BadToTheBown » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:10 am

OK, that's an S, as is the dash. So, it sounds like I'll have something a lot closer to a Rockster when I'm done. Adapting the harness from the '99 so far looks like the biggest job. Wish I could use a Rockster harness but I need the chip from the '99 to work with my cams and ABS. I'm putting a 2004 Rockster engine in it I've made some changes to that I ran in my R1150S Sport Tourer.

On the differential, you're of course technically correct, there's no spider gear assembly to allow 2 wheels on the same axle to turn at different speeds (in a turn). I was over generalizing. When I look at these bikes, they look to me to basically be a rear wheel drive car/truck, only made into 2 wheels. You have an engine with the crank and cylinders configured like a VW or a Subaru - to a dry car style clutch/starter arrangement - to an inline transmission - to a drive shaft with 2 universal joints - to a ring and pinion like the diff on your truck has. Maybe this is why they are so durable, albeit, heavy.

Last edited by BadToTheBown on Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

kirby

Postby kirby » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:41 am

I'm sorry about the "diff' thing but its common for folks to call the BMW rear drive a "diff" when its not, Guess the mechanical engineer in me..ugh!

I'm not sure why you would want to change a R1150R roadster into a rockster when it would be much easier to just buy a rockster and change the bars to the roadster bars like some of us have done..seems like a lot of work for?? What.

It seems that by doing that you will have a bastard case that will effect the value by a bunch..

I've ridden the S in Europe (many miles) and in my opinion the rockster is its equal or better for many reasons. My rockster tips the scales at 508 lbs w/5 gal fuel. (w/o cases installed)

Curious.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER

BadToTheBown

Postby BadToTheBown » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:17 pm

There's no arguing your point, logic-wise. Rocksters are cheap, seen as little as $1500 and I paid $1000 for this R1150R not running. I personally think the Rocksters are undervalued for what they offer but that's just my opinion. I personally like the copper color version. There is a reason I'm going this way and here's why, some of it subjective:
-bike I found (2004 R1150R in silver) had a bunch upgrades (i.e. Corbin with backrest, large Givi top case, etc.) that suit what I'm doing with it
-handlebars but that's not tough to fix on a Rockster, probably an afternoon not weeks, this bike came with Bar Backs, we'll see if I like them, this will basically be a cruiser
-I have enough choice parts to build 2 bikes from scratch, I could build either an R1150S or an RC-51 just from parts, I have the R1100S front end, brakes (ABS), wheels in black, slightly modified R1150 engine that runs good, dash with gear indicator, etc., etc.
-none of my bikes are stock, none
-as I've aged I've transitioned from a useful design engineer to a useless manager, I get my fix in my garage, wish I had more time for my projects and to learn to fab better, I'm really a hack with a mill or a lathe and my welding needs more practice (i.e. burn through thinner stuff too easily still, need to go TIG)

So, you need to suspend your logic if you're going to read this...heads up...

Now I need some help...I need a better flowing exhaust and plan to leave the cat off but also want to run a full left side bag from one of my former S-bikes, something like this...

I really wanted to use that Remus I have but it's just not going to fit and keep the seat height down for the old lady...
Last edited by BadToTheBown on Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kirby

Postby kirby » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:40 pm

Of course carry on...

I have a complete staintune (OZ) system. Saved about 25 lbs over the stock stuff if I recall. (stock stuff is HEAVY).
My normal travel kit w/ tank bag is about 60 lbs..plenty of room. No full size side bag but it doesn't matter to me.

Everything else is stock mechanically except ohlins shocks which raise the height of the machine about an 1 1/2 inches. Never have dragged a cylinder cover on a normal track day. I like the .7 6th gear as it pulls hard in top from 60 or so and will leave a stock r (.8 6th) for dead in a top roll on.

Got a radar slip from a track day that shows 141 mph down the straight (.85 mile). Wasn't on the rev limiter yet before the brake marker.

The value is going up on stock rocksters for sure, I have the "burnt orange" (BMW nomenclature). Love it.

Its a keeper, will overhaual when needed.

Logic back on.

:-)
Last edited by kirby on Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER

BadToTheBown

Postby BadToTheBown » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:56 pm

I like what I've read about the Staintune systems for these bikes.

Can't have enough luggage space for the old lady's stuff, mean that.

You're right about the handling, it will probably drag stuff anyway given how low I'll have this one but when she's on it, it doesn't lean much anyway. Otherwise my kidney's suffer. If I get too close to a truck they suffer. If I go too fast they suffer. You get the idea.

I have a 3:36 final drive (R850R) in my project bike, not so much for droning down the road at 80 or 90 MPH but it's good everywhere below that and at the track. My S1150S really like 5th better in a straight away over 6th gear.

Maybe I'll turn my R1150S Project Bike into a Rockster next... '-)

sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Postby sweatmark » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:55 pm

Best new thread topic on our old message board in years.

FWIW, I'm preparing my Rockster to give to my brother this summer. He'd rather ride than wrench, so I'm changing a few things to give him troublefree and maintenance-free ownership. That includes removing titanium ZTechnik kit (Y-piece and muffler) to eliminate repacking. I have the ZT lowering kit that allows use of full-size left bag. Rainbow unicorn unobtainium, took me 5 years to find it. Perhaps we can strike a deal.

If you're an R1100S guy then you probably used the short Paralever strut from GS and Boxer Cup. I use one on my Rockster, plus custom Ohlins, with good bike handling as result. Since you're going low-rider for the sports touring SR, why not shake things up by using on-the-fly adjustable Paralever strut? The difference between OE Roadster/Rockster and shorter strut is only 20mm... motorized length adjustment via acme thread or linear actuator, up & down button on LHS switch module borrowed from an RT. I don't think it's been done yet.
Now: Rockster2, F800S, S1000R, K1300S
Then: R850R, R1100R, R1150R, Rockster1, R1200C, etc.

BadToTheBown

Postby BadToTheBown » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:32 am

Hello sweatmark,

I'm interested in the exhaust and lowering, I'll PM you. Thank you for offering it up.

On the Paralever Strut, I'm good, so I'm going to pass on that one. I'm going to have to sacrifice handling (weight towards the front) to make the old lady comfy.

BUT, it is as you say, shorter Paralever Strut does shift the weight forward while also affording more valve cover clearance. I've played around with the S-bike suspension a lot. I also have one of the Baaker 3-position Struts and it's shortest position is even shorter than the GS and Prep S-bikes Strut. IF I was going to build a Rockster for better handling, I'd look at a slightly longer rear shock with the stock length Strut. I run 6mm longer on my S-bikes. I've also played with both a short Strut and a taller shock and it makes the bike very sensitive in the rear on it's side. Slightest throttle movement makes it twitch. For some reason the longer shock with stock length Strut was the sweet spot on my R1150S (Rockster engine with mods). Some of us S-guys also run the 10mm shorter Telelever up front. HUGE difference there. REALLY like this best. With the extra leverage from the R-bars, you might not care but on an S-bike, it's the way to go. Handles intuitively, more like a Jap bike. Pushed hard on the brakes (track), it's less stable and 12mm back is probably too much (ask me how I know). I wonder if that mod would be better on these bikes too. For the touring, I'm leaving it stock and going for level ride height and lower pegs and seat height (more like my old Harleys). I'm putting a soft tire up front (all my front tires are soft). I'm also looking to keep the stock Telelever because it looks better than my S-one. I just need to figure out how I'm going to add a steering damper mount to the R Telelever. I'm also going to check their length relative to each other once I have the bike all way broken down (to the engine), which will probably be next weekend. I'm learning how these are different as I take it apart.

sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Postby sweatmark » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:07 pm

BadToTheBown wrote:Hello sweatmark,

I'm interested in the exhaust and lowering, I'll PM you...

Some of us S-guys also run the 10mm shorter Telelever up front. HUGE difference there. REALLY like this best. With the extra leverage from the R-bars, you might not care but on an S-bike, it's the way to go. Handles intuitively, more like a Jap bike. Pushed hard on the brakes (track), it's less stable and 12mm back is probably too much (ask me how I know)...

I just need to figure out how I'm going to add a steering damper mount to the R Telelever. I'm also going to check their length relative to each other once I have the bike all way broken down (to the engine), which will probably be next weekend. I'm learning how these are different as I take it apart.

Will check PM.

With 365mm Paralever + 10mm longer rear shock, I've never felt a twitch on handlebar, riding mountain roads fairly hard.
Kirby tracked his Rockster and can comment about any headshake.
In other words, I've never experienced anything on stock or modified R1150R that would demand steering damper. Other bikes, yes for sure.
Now: Rockster2, F800S, S1000R, K1300S
Then: R850R, R1100R, R1150R, Rockster1, R1200C, etc.

BadToTheBown

Postby BadToTheBown » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:28 pm

Remember, I had a 6mm longer rear shock with a very short paralever strut and 10mm shorter telelever, the wheel base was short. It was also pushing the Q2 front, so I put a GPA on, loved that and it worked right away. I've had head shake at the track with a stock telelever, albeit, with the 6mm longer rear shock and stock length paralever strut.

Probably happened 3 times, twice at Summit Point and once at Milleville, always coming out of turn hard on the gas (97 RWHP pinned the throttle). Once it was bad enough that I just couldn't steer at all and ran onto the grass, which broke the oscillation and I regained control and rode back onto the track. I had the steering damper on then but had turned it all the way down because it was making it hard to steer riding on the street (mistake). Turned it up and no more head shake for rest of the day.

Track days can get the better of me and I sometimes push it harder than maybe is wise for an amateur like me. I like passing R1s and Gixxers and I can only get them on the brakes and in the turns. They kill me in the straights and I hate riding their rear tire all the way around and they hate seeing an old man's boxer pass them, that's what makes it FUN.

DAM650
Basic User

Postby DAM650 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:45 pm

making popcorn
can't wait to read more

DAM
2002F650GS ABS Black Betty 89K
2002R1150R ABS Misty Blue 48K

kirby

Postby kirby » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:25 pm

Rock solid on the track w/ no head shake. I can't remember the exact set up when I had it to the alignment guys in LA, a while back but I didn't notice much difference from stock height. Since the front doesn't dive much at all it stays pretty much normal even at high speeds braking and full on power out of the corners. The great thing about the telelever is if you lose traction it will tend to just slide rather than tuck under. I have lost the front many times over the years on the public roads and track days but never came close to dropping it. Since you can't feel what the front is doing like a regular fork you learn to trust it, and I do.

Solid machine for sure..thats why I like it so much, no matter where you go from dirt roads to twisty mountains its good.

When its beat I will refresh!!!!

FWIW
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER

BadToTheBown

Postby BadToTheBown » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:47 pm

The bikes do handle good. Love the Wilbers on my R1150S Project Bike. I've had trouble feeling the front end as well. Nate Kern says he can feel his. He ran high and low speed compression dampening on his Ohlins front. I'd been running an emulsion shock up front that I just upgraded to a remote gas charged reservoir with high and low speed compression in the hopes of some feedback. We'll see. I track day this bike and until a couple of years ago trusted the front. Amazing deep, deep braking on these front ends. Enough dive to know you're on the brakes but doesn't dive like a fork. The guys i rode with from Bob's BMW who were running without ABS used to get a couple of inches under their back tires going into turn 1 (Summit Point Main). One of the turns to pass on the brakes at that track.

All this was great until one day I went to the track when I told my old lady I wouldn't. Took my R1150S Sport Tourer, told her I'd never put it on the track, with center stand, bags, riding suit, etc. to the track after she left for work. Hot but great riding day. Led my group all day except for the racers with track tires going by me. This led to me trying the GPAs. 3 laps warmup and they're good. Wish I had them that day. The bike is heavy so I kept an eye on the tire pressure and signs of going greasy. They were wearing good. All that went south the last lap of the last session of the day. Turn 1 was 50 MPH knee down. I didn't feel the front slip, I saw it. 1-2 ft I would guess with plenty of weight on my knee. Was able to pick it up which put me straight on to the grass. Didn't see that divot that made the bike air born. Long story short, 180 barrel role broke the bike, me in 4 places, learned how much 10% of a helo ride costs, 4 days in hospital, blah, blah, blah.

Moral of the story, don't go ride at the track when you tell your old lady you're not going to.

Oh yeh, buy an air bag suit and cover those shoulder blades as it's cheaper than your part of a helo ride. If you puncture your right lung, they fly you. If you puncture your left, they drive you. They told me collapsing the right can lead to a cardiac, so I had to fly.

Someone pass me the popcorn...

Return to “R1150R”