Can I bang on the starter?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

LeonardoNYC
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Can I bang on the starter?

Post by LeonardoNYC »

Hey All,
I have a 2009 R12R, 17K miles, rode a bit in the cold weather here in NYC. Bike in a garage in Manhattan, and won't start. Lights, hord, guages work. Called for a jump and that did nothing to start the bike. Still clicking noise..click click click..

is this a starter issue perhaps? I can get it towed but curious if banging or tapping the starter might make it work a little bit longer so I can ride it to a local repair shop.
thanks!
Terry Kronlund
Basic User

Re: Can I bang on the starter?

Post by Terry Kronlund »

Just a few ideas since there have been no response as of yet. Are there any warning lights on? I once had a rear tail light that was shorting out inside the bulb. The tail light filament was broken and was touching the stop light portion of the wires. Replaced the bulb and started no problem. I really don't think hitting the starter will do anything. Does the starter sound like it is trying to engage at all?
I would first check the battery for how many volts it is putting out. It sounds like even with the jumper you are not getting enough to turn the starter. This would be true if you have a bad cell in the battery. Another step would be to take a plug out on each side and hit the starter to try to turn it over. Without compression it should turn over easier. Less resistance on starter. If the battery is good and with the plugs out and still won't turn over, I would put the plugs back in and try to "bump start" it. This would let you know if the motor will turn over and not froze up. If the motor turns over I would pull the starter and do a bench test. I am not a mechanic but this would be my thought process. Good luck.
RadicalR1150R
Lifer
Donating Member #: 960

Post by RadicalR1150R »

I once had the click click click on my 2004 R1150R, I cleaned the starter motor wire end on the starter motor from battery & that worked for mine.
LeonardoNYC
Basic User

Post by LeonardoNYC »

thank you all!
LeonardoNYC
Basic User

Post by LeonardoNYC »

as for the starter engaging..I get the click click click..horn lights seem fine...
eburr
Basic User

Post by eburr »

I had a similar situation with my friend's r1150r that I service for him. The bike had 35K on it at the time.
a.) I made sure the battery was fully charged and in good shape
b.) I then cleaned the power wire connection to the starter with fine sand paper
c.) I found the starter mounting bolts loose and tightened them
d.) I cleaned the starter by spraying the internals with electronics cleaner until no more carbon (from brush wear) came out

It worked fine afterwards and has continued to work for another 10K so far an counting. We keep another new one in stock just in case, but for now, all good. Another trick: sometimes the starter armature will develop a "spot" of oxidation on it that will prevent it from turning. On the center stand, put bike in 5th or 6th gear and rotate the rear tire counter close-wise and try again. This rotates the starter past the problem spot and sometimes will get it working right again. As the prior folks have said, check the tail lamp bulb first.
LeonardoNYC
Basic User

Post by LeonardoNYC »

Thanks all. It pays to have an honest repair shop. Cycle Therapy in NYC. A bit uptown but I brought to them, they called me and said "hey your battery was totally dead, we just charged it and you're fine now". I dare to imagine what might have happened if I brought it to BMW Corporate in Manhattan, but that's another story all together. I guess a lot of the very short trips I did in the winter must have taken a toll. Happy to be back in the saddle!
Terry Kronlund
Basic User

Post by Terry Kronlund »

Kind of funny. I responded to your post with ideas awhile back. Then a month ago my bike did the same thing. I did most of the things I suggested you do with one extra thing I saw someone else recommend. My battery showed 12.5 volts but when I hit the start button the voltage dropped to 8. Not enough to start the bike. My one year old batter had a dead cell. Surface charge good, but under a load not enough.