New clutch doesn't engage

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Bonesheal
Basic User

New clutch doesn't engage

Post by Bonesheal »

I just finished putting my 2002 r1150r back together after replacing the clutch, clutch slave cylinder and transmission, and removing the ABS. Almost everything seems to have gone just fine despite my very inauspicious beginning. It took a long time, much of which was just months of not working on the bike. This forum was a great resource for me.

One thing I was worried about was the bleeding of the clutch. I installed the slave cylinder without bleeding it, and finally tried to bleed the whole clutch system after the bike was mostly put together. It took a lot of pumping with a MityVac to get fluid to come out, though it did come out without any air bubbles.

On my first ride the clutch engaged very close to the handlebar, and was fully engaged in about half an inch. I could hold it in and the bike would not pull forward, but I was worried that I might burn the clutch, so I bled the clutch some more. Now the clutch does not seem to engage at all--when I put it into gear with the clutch lever pulled in, it stalls the bike.

Is this problem a clutch bleeding failure, or something else?

kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Re: New clutch doesn't engage

Post by kirby »

If things changed after you bleed the clutch I would look to that being the cause. You have to pump (w/reservoir full) until you get a good stream of fluid (solid no bubbles) then the lever needs to be held fully against the bar until you close the bleed valve. I use rubber bands.

I hope you don't take this wrong but I am not sure how your bleeding it.

The vac method is ok but I prefer to do it the old fashion way as I described above.
If it worked somewhat (sounds like you had some air in the system) before probably assembled correctly and its just air.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
Bonesheal
Basic User

Post by Bonesheal »

I'll be happy to find out I did it wrong, because that will give me something to fix! I did not pin the lever to the bar before closing the valve.

I did it with a MityVac from the lower end. I did not pump the lever at all the first time. I did the second time, but it barely moved any fluid through. Even with the MityVac I never got more than a dribble of fluid--it was not a solid stream like it was when I bled the brakes.
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

The clutch slave is just like the brake caliper in principle, so you HAQVE to get a steady stream..make sure the reservoir is full. Could be the master at the bar isn't pumping but its probably trapped air in the system.

If fluid isn't moving thru there must be some blockage in the lines or passages.

The lever HAS to be held to the bar! before closing the valve and remain there until the valve is closed. Air possibly trapped in the master at the bar.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
Bonesheal
Basic User

Post by Bonesheal »

Ok I bled it again--this time I tied the valve to the frame so it was vertical, because I think I may have been letting air back into the line. I finished as you guys said, with the lever to the bar, closing the valve with my other hand (I'm tall). It worked--the clutch worked much better than the first time, engaging a little bit away from the bar. Thanks guys!