Oil Change Thoughts

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

gregor
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Oil Change Thoughts

Post by gregor »

So, just done an oil change after my winter hibernation. It's in the teens Celsius today and warm enough for a 60 mile return trip into the Pennines (without hand warmers) to get my annual MOT ( a compulsory annual vehicle check). Dropped the hot engine oil when I got home and let it trickle out over lunch.
Now getting the 20W/50 oil in is a slow process as the oil backs up the funnel nozzle . Why isn't there a bigger hole to let the oil in. A pain in the back for us old timers. Now inspired to do the spark plugs and air cleaner while the sun shines. The transmission oil can wait another year. By the way, I still consider the fully synthetic gearbox oil, grade 75W/140 to be a good call- a smoother less crunchy shift.
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Re: Oil Change Thoughts

Post by towerworker »

Gregor......just changed my fluids today as well. 20/50 Castrol in the engine and Lucas 80/90 in the FD and tranny. I've near 90,000 miles which I think is about 144K kilometers. I've been using the same fluids since I bought the bike with 17K 11 yrs ago. I'm afraid to try synthetic at this point. Had a bad experience trying to change to syn on a previous R. I've been real pleased. Bike runs like the proverbial bat outa hell!
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
gregor
Lifer

Post by gregor »

Nothing like experience for oils. I am aware of the reported seal issues and as a result have stuck with the semi synth for the bevel box.
Can you get the engine oil into the engine at a reasonable pace? Its very stop start for me as the funnel backs up and my back aches holding the funnel. I've tried a smaller diameter funnel that can get the spout right into the filling hole but the oil flow is inevitably even slower.
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

I understand the funnel issues. A decent sized funnel won't generally stay in the oil fill without holding it. Yesterday I forgot my generally used funnel (which I have to hold) and just poured by hand carefully into the fill. I've gotten used to the somewhat slow fill. I've not found any really better method.
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Post by Sunbeemer »

Here's a tip: If you pour the oil into the funnel's hole and don't let the funnel fill up, it flows in much quicker.
Rich
ADIOS!
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

Been there...done that!! :)
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Post by Sunbeemer »

Works with antifreeze too! :lol:
Rich
ADIOS!
gregor
Lifer

Post by gregor »

Just why is that hole so small? I don't recall having such a pita servicing my K75 or R80/7. My leaky old Triumph T90 had a filler about 2" in diameter.
JeffEd65
Basic User

Post by JeffEd65 »

Same problem here. I'm older and my 'good' tall funnel likes to fall out of the hole. Thinking through this I typically end up picking some super cold Ohio winter day to change oil. The oil is cold, thick and slow. Anyone ever try gently warming the oil before filling? Nothing crazy. The oven is off limits. Next time, I want to try to store the oil inside near the furnace or some other heat source.
Riverside
Basic User

Post by Riverside »

Just browsing today and ran across this post. My "two cents" for what it's worth. For the other "old" guys out there..... buy a mechanics shop stool on wheels for your back problem and keep your oil in the house the night before changing it if the weather is cold. Another solution I have seen is a pour spout that fits onto the oil bottle allowing you to squeeze it or just leave it upside down in the fill hole.
Bob
2004 R1150R - Mad Maxine
Nuevo Arenal, Costa Rica
gregor
Lifer

Post by gregor »

Thanks, just assembled a highly rated rectangular Hawk wheeled mechanics stool, from Amazon at £25 in p&p. Looks good and working on the oil changes etc. should be easier.
gregor
Lifer

Post by gregor »

£19 , so hope it takes my 94kg. Sounds lighter than stones and pounds or the US convention of pounds only.
sykospain
Donating Member #: 1

Post by sykospain »

Being a cheapskate who also suffers from an achey back, I got myself one of those little camping canvas folding scissor stools. Perfect for wrangling a bike that's not on a lift. Five snoojits only....
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike
dandeldesierto
Basic User

Post by dandeldesierto »

There's some good ideas posed here, I found a funnel with an "offset" reservoir (it was one with a removeable flexible snout (which I removed)). The funnel, because of the offset, will stand reliably on it's own in the oil fill hole, which makes it possible to have both hands free for the pour.
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

Another method.....lay bike over on right side......remove left jug valve cover and poor oil down timing chain tunnel. Goes much faster.....
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint