Mystery speed sensor

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Gubachoo
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Mystery speed sensor

Post by Gubachoo »

So I ordered a rear wheel speed sensor for my 04 rockster from boonstra and it was wrong. Boonstra was awesome about it and refunded me, but said to not bother sending it back as the shipping made it not worth it. Great customer service. Anyways, I got the correct one from BB and now I have this one I can't use for I don't know what bike. Figured I would pass on the good deed and if anyone knows what its for and can use it, or even put in on the shelf for the future, I'd be willing to ship it to them for nothing. Here are the photos if anyone can ID it and maybe pass it on to someone who can use it.
BadToTheBown
Donating Member #: 1

Re: Mystery speed sensor

Post by BadToTheBown »

It's the rear speed sensor for a final drive with a crown ring in it to do the inductive pickup. R1100S bikes use them and from what I'm told, so do Rocksters. However, I've seen pics of Rocksters with and without them, so I'm not sure what to think. I'm currently converting an R1150R over to something more approximating a Rockster with bags and comfort and I'm using an R1100S final drive in the process, so I can use it. Let me know and thanx for offering it up...
2014 Ducati Hyperstrada (HyperProject)
2005 BMW R1150sR Project Tourer
BadToTheBown

Post by BadToTheBown »

Got your PM and responded, thanx again... :-D
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

BadToTheBown wrote:It's the rear speed sensor for a final drive with a crown ring in it to do the inductive pickup. R1100S bikes use them and from what I'm told, so do Rocksters. However, I've seen pics of Rocksters with and without them, so I'm not sure what to think. I'm currently converting an R1150R over to something more approximating a Rockster with bags and comfort and I'm using an R1100S final drive in the process, so I can use it. Let me know and thanx for offering it up...

I had to respond ha!
I have seen rocksters where the owner has had some problem with the rear drive ??leaking?? making noise?? and have replaced with (probably e bay sourced) rear drive from some other R bike like an LT or regular R..go figure what they did about the speedo!

The rockster(s) came w/the S rear..all of them as far as I can tell.

Mystery solved??
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
Gubachoo
Basic User

Post by Gubachoo »

Well I don't know if it's 100% solved, but I mailed it out this morning. You'll have to ask BadtotheBown if it works for him or not. Either way, it's gone and hopefully helping someone with their bike.
kirby

Post by kirby »

Yeah,
I know about the rocksters they are the all the same from the factory, but if other R bikes used the rear drive for speed sensing I don't know. Apparently there is a model that does...curious!
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
BadToTheBown

Post by BadToTheBown »

Yeh, R1100s do. I thought at least some of the Rocksters did since they use the R1100S final drive...
kirby

Post by kirby »

The rocksters came with the complete running gear from the S from the trans back, and the front end as well.
However faced with a rear drive tear down or even a seal renew some will shop the internet (mostly ebay) and just buy a used rear drive. R bike reardrives (oilhead) will all fit the rockster and beside the S, I don't know which other one has a rear speed sensor.

I've seen them for $200 w/low miles and guaranteed to work or money back! Tearing one down and reassembly is not for the faint of heart...preload has to be right and it really requires good tools for the job.(and knowledge of such things).

Buying one for a couple hundred or so is mighty tempting.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
BadToTheBown

Post by BadToTheBown »

I don't know what to think on this, I've seen what I thought was the same bike with and without...

With...

Without...

What am I missing?
BadToTheBown

Post by BadToTheBown »

OK, did some fishing in parts fiche...
FOR VEHICLES WITH INTEGRAL ABS (CODE: X645A) :
01 33 11 7 668 738 HOUSING, BLACK ABS 5.24 1
NOT FOR VEHICLES WITH INTEGRAL ABS (CODE: X645A) :
01 33 11 7 674 451 DIFFERENTIAL HOUSING, BLACK 6.39 1

So there are 2 different housings, I'll speculate that the "integral ABS" somehow does ABS sensor pickup and speed with the same sensor on those bikes...

My S final drive has a separate speed sensor and ABS sensor...
kirby

Post by kirby »

Good work!
It is complicated and didn't factor in the ABS as mine doesn't have it. I would not have bought it with ABS and I think the machine not having it was the reason it sat on the showroom floor for so long and I got a real good deal. (Beemer guys tend to like such gadgets, no offence intended).

As you can see I'm not of fan of the ABS (old school) as its heavy and I prefer to do my own braking. Another failure point!

I've heard and participated in ALL pros and cons around the camp fire where things tend to be a bit more civilized that on the keyboard!

I'm quite happy without.....

Off to the east today. Will be going south as there is snow forecast (burr) in Flagstaff and I have to stop in West TX on my way. Rock is loaded!!!
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
Gubachoo
Basic User

Post by Gubachoo »

Well I'm off to the west today, although I'm starting in New England, so flagstaff won't be for a few weeks (if I make it that far south) . Two 04 Rocksters hitting the road at the same time. Safe and happy riding kirby
kirby

Post by kirby »

BadToTheBown wrote:I don't know what to think on this, I've seen what I thought was the same bike with and without...

With...

Without...

What am I missing?

That's my machine but with mods..ohlins, sergeants seat, wunderlich mirrors' and wind screen, staintune exh.

Yipeeeee
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
kirby

Post by kirby »

Both have the sensor but in different places?
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
kirby

Post by kirby »

Gubachoo wrote:Well I'm off to the west today, although I'm starting in New England, so flagstaff won't be for a few weeks (if I make it that far south) . Two 04 Rocksters hitting the road at the same time. Safe and happy riding kirby

Yea I have never seen the sensor in that location, but they both seem to have one. Very curious indeed!

Thanks will be going all the way to Charleston SC and back. Party (birthday) on the Yorktown in the harbor. Could be a set of tires on this one.
Cheers to you as well!!!!
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

kirby wrote:Both have the sensor but in different places?
Factory non-ABS Rockster, non-ABS R1100S, and some K1200** bikes use the magnetic pickup and 6-lobe crown wheel inside rear drive to generate speedometer signal. Integral ABS 1 bikes use signal conditioning to modify wheel speed sensor(s) input (nobody knows if front or rear or both) into speedometer input signal. Some of the K bikes (and maybe R1100S, though that's not my thing) have both sensors in final drive.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
fastfil2004
Basic User

Post by fastfil2004 »

I can confirm that my 2003 Rockster E80 has the speedo signal from the rear wheel only . During my recent abs/servo removal procedure I have actually removed the abs sensor ring from the front wheel - speedometer works perfectly. Very happy with the simplified braking system after a spirited ride on the first nice day of the year .

Phil
Georgian Bay, ON
BadToTheBown

Post by BadToTheBown »

sweatmark wrote:Some of the K bikes (and maybe R1100S, though that's not my thing) have both sensors in final drive.
My 1999 R1100S final drive does have both and separate...This final drive also has the Rubber Chicken Racing pivot bushings instead of bearing for the pivots....

Both the speed sensor and the ABS are based on the same technology so I can see that reading a different calibrated signal to do the same thing. Thanx for explaining that...
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

fastfil2004 wrote:I can confirm that my 2003 Rockster E80 has the speedo signal from the rear wheel only . During my recent abs/servo removal procedure I have actually removed the abs sensor ring from the front wheel - speedometer works perfectly...
... And single front wheel iABS speed sensor works when used without rear, but the original F/R signal combination for speedo input is not documented. The enterprising BMW engineer who made Integral ABS 1 such a helpful & heavy & problematic mess appears to have incorporated as many functions as possible, including the system checks for the brake switches (NC switches to measure continuity) and error checking for the Hall effect wheel speed sensors.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)