Old Fourm members

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

mogu83
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Old Fourm members

Post by mogu83 »

How many people that were on here in 2008 are still here?
How many miles on your 'R'?? Where has it been ?? Hows it running ??
***********************************************************************************************************************************************

My 'R' has 128K on it now.
It's been in all the lower 48 (except Rhode Island) all the Canadian border provinces except Saskatchewan and all the Maritime Provinces a few times. Meat Cove ( Cape Breton) four times and across the Country three times. I think it's been to all the MOA nationals but doubt I'll be going to Iowa (I've spent enough time in Iowa).

It's had all the recalls, crown bearing in the rear drive replaced at 45K (I paid), driveshaft went at 60K and I just lost my first fuel strip (they paid). I do my own maintenance and admit to not being overly anal about it. It seems to be running OK and as I don't see anything that could replace it I intend to keep it running as long as I can.

Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Re: Old Fourm members

Post by sjbmw »

Joined august 2003, my 04 R has 54k miles on it.
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Post by Photoguy »

Returning 1150r owner here. Had a 2002 and sold it for something else but the thought of the bike never left. I think I joined the forum in '08 or so.

Back with a 2003, 28K miles on the bike, I've yet to add 1 but that will change soon-
citrusbbee
Triple Lifer
Donating Member #: 553

Post by citrusbbee »

Joined in 2006 and had my '04 Citrus Green Rockster for 10 years. Rode it to Phoenix and back and a couple of trips out west and over Beartooth Pass. Bought it with 6000 miles on it and traded it in last year with 42k on the clock. Loved that bike but was lusting after an Edition 80 Rockster. Bought one this year and plan to keep it a long time!
Citrusbbee
Member #553
'04 Rockster Ed80 (#967)
'15 R1200RT
BigEasy
Lifer

Post by BigEasy »

I've been around, not to active recently, since '07 I believe. My R12R only has about 20k miles but I usually run 3-5 bikes at a time.
Play Harrd and Floor It- Stevie Ray Vaughn
Currently:
07 R1200R
07 XB12STT
10 FLHTP
12 Wee Strom ADV
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Been here since Doug started this 2nd board in 2005, and on the 1st board version since I don't know... bought my first Roadster (R850) in '97 but don't remember when I happened across the original message board. Doug probably has membership records from then.

It's great to see old members come back. The original R1150R board was an active resource and fun to follow. It seems the BMW oilhead has become the new airhead, as a throwback to simpler hands-on, fused circuits, DIY maintenance and repairs, less is more philosophy. The new BMWs are fun to ride, but there's a certain satisfaction derived from stripping down an oilhead to appreciate the form & function.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Post by Photoguy »

^Enjoyed reading your post as it reminded me- (I almost forgot, yikes) that I had an R850R too. My first BMW that I bought new. Great bike but I lusted after the hidden oil coolers of the 1150!
vroomr
Basic User

Post by vroomr »

61K on my model introduction -- that's what it says on the sticker -- '07 R1200R. As the years pass, I like it more and more. What a great, and great looking, bike!
Richard
Terry Kronlund
Basic User

Post by Terry Kronlund »

MY wife and I do not fit the member since 2008 since we didn't purchase her 2009 R until 2011. She really wanted a cruiser style bike. But the ones big enough to cruise the highway are to big for her. I finally sold her on the R with the weight. The 750 Shadow she was riding was heavier than the R. We were getting ready for a Wash. state to Boston to New Orleans and then home trip. I knew the Shadow would not be comfortable enough for the 80 - 85 mph freeways we would be encountering. Worked out great. Still not tired of her telling me "I was right". Fabulous trip that I would do again. Only this time I would ride my 2010 R. I am spoiled by my Goldwing so I wanted more wind protection. So I have a Parabellum Scout with the MRA wind deflector. Not quite the Goldwing for wind protection or butt soreness, low comfort seat, yet, but I'll suffer through it. I liked her bike so much I just had to get one. Works out great for our vacation home in Mazatlan Mx. I tow it down. I am planning on a tour of Copper Canyon this winter.
Fuel strips :-(. Had hers replaced twice and mine once. Fortunately it was on BMW dime. No other issues with hers. I had to replace the ignition switch but other than tires, batteries and oil they have been great. I do all the maintenance and run Amsoil in them. Next up is Hyperpro shocks front and rear. I am going to have them lower my wife bike an 1/2 inch. 20 to 25 thousand miles before rebuild and first rebuild is no charge.

My wife's bikes Kawasaki Volcan 500
to big so Honda 250 Shadow
Yamaha 1300 V-Star
to big so Handa 750 Shadow
Newer Prettier 750 Shadow
You were right 2009 BMW R1200R 62,000 miles of which she has put on 38,000

I really like this forum but not much happening on it lately so I thought I would chime in.
Love these bikes. I think they are the best bike no one knows about.
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

Here since 2007 - sold the '07 R1200R with 94,000 miles on it a few years ago when a '12 R1200R became available locally (had been Cy Young's wife's bike) with very low miles on it. That one now has close to 40,000 miles on it - has been flawless. It's been all over the US and a bunch of Canada and is now trying to circle the great lakes.. did Lake Erie a few weeks ago.

Aside from fuel strips - the '12 has been great. The last fuel strip that went in got a modification. There is now a shield above it where it runs right under the filler hole. If you stick a gas nozzle in far enough - it can hit the fuel strip, and the high-pressure fuel coming out of the nozzle pushed right against the fuel strip. The shield was made from a piece of oil bottle, held on with a few tie-wraps around the strip, going through holes punched into the shield using a simple paper punch. This shield deflects the stream of gas from the nozzle away from the strip and protects the strip if the nozzle goes too far into the tank. This strip has lasted about 2 years now and 25,000 miles. It has one quirk when it gets down to the last 8th of the tank it immediately indicates empty and no fuel remaining. That's when I know it's time to fill up, usually taking around 5 gallons.

The only failures I had on the '07 was the steering damper started leaking (and becoming ineffective) at around 90,000 miles on the way back from California. Engles in Kansas City changed it out for me. I replaced the O2 sensors - but I'm not sure if they were a problem or just wonky wiring. It always started and ran well and was ready to leave for anywhere at the drop of a hat.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

I've been here a bit. I think I first joined in '03 with my first BMW. I now have an '04 bought in 11/07 after I totaled my '03 with 44K. I now have a bit over 90K. Regular coolant/antifreeze maintenance has insured dependable operation.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

I miss DJ Downunder.
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

Here since '07.
Bought my Rockster in '04 new when I spotted it on the dealers showroom floor while getting my K1200RS serviced. They couldn't sell it so got a bargain price. (fluke didn't think I would keep it long)
After a couple of months and some mods I sold the K bike and never looked back.
Just back from a trip to the east coast and back to SoCal. 'bout 20,000 a year +-.
257,000 miles so far.

No major mechanicals.

Will never sell it, might pass it on to the kids when THE time comes.

:-)
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
Hyja1
Lifer

Post by Hyja1 »

I was never a poster but followed this site early on. Bought my R1150R (Black) new in 2002. I saw it, I thought the designers got it right and wrote a check after a test ride. Added the BMW fly screen and good to go. I didn’t put many miles on the bike but made sure the bike was maintained through the dealer until I finally started to do my own maintenance and enjoyed the bike even more. Aside from a few issues (disconnects, zip ties, etc.) I’ve been fortunate. No surging, no final drive or spline issues, at least not yet, I continue to admire and enjoy this bike. The biggest improvement was switching to Michelin pilot powers (single compound) tires. The handling was so much more spirited.

The only reason I would consider letting the bike go is because of my advancing age and the fact that this is a pretty heavy bike. I remember when Cyclerob switched to an F800 and made me think about doing the same. Not because of the spline issue, but that the F looked pretty cool and to lose a significant amount of weight still keeps me thinking about finding a lighter bike. Finally, thanks to all the old timers and experts that have helped so many people with their questions and advice. I know the site is not as populated as years back, but I’m grateful to Doug and everyone for keeping it going.

Holland Ja
Holland Ja, San Francisco
‘02 R1150R black
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

Still around. Not many more miles yet....maybe 93K. Sitting under snow covered bike cover. Right now 30°F. Hoping to ride before Christmas!
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
vroomr
Basic User

Post by vroomr »

I feel like a pup, only have 64K on my '07. Oh, I recently received my updated Medicare card.
Richard
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

It seems like a few of you guys the years are catching up on me. Rapidly approaching four score years and 1,000 mile days are getting on the iffy side, I fell asleep on the bike in Kansas last year. My R1200R is still running great at 140,000 miles but it's getting heavier and the ground seems to be getting further away. I have to add, that when I walk away from the R1200R I still look back and think, 'That's a great bike'.
I'm not a BMW purist, but right now the only possible replacements I see are a F750 GS or a R1250 GS (low suspension and seat on either) both bikes let me flat foot, which is becoming more and more important to me as the years pass. The 750 makes the most sense but I like the long distance capabilities of a liter plus bike.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
vroomr
Basic User

Post by vroomr »

I'm test driving a Honda CTX700DCT later today. The seat's much lower than I need, but that's OK. I'm really intrigued by the automatic (I know, it's technically not) transmission. If I get it I would still keep the R, which is indeed a magnificent bike.
Richard
TinkerToy
Lifer

Post by TinkerToy »

Still hear, still have the '07 r1200r with approx 26000 mi on her. Barely broken in! Lookin forward to the "19 Rally in TN,...see you all there!
Radar in oz
Lifer

Post by Radar in oz »

I joined in 2007, still have my 2006 R1200R, but only 26000Km. 90% prior to 2012 when I developed end stage renal failure. During ensuing years on dialysis I managed to ride just enough to keep battery charged on the bike. Two years ago I received a kidney transplant, and am now starting to regain some fitness through jogging. Bike is getting a bit more use and I expect to start some longer trips again. Used to visit this forum a lot, but haven't looked at it since 2012. Looks a lot quieter than it used to be, but nice to see it is still going. :D