If I remember right...(battery charging)

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

If I remember right...(battery charging)

Post by Photoguy »

...I can run a battery tender through the accessory socket on my 02? It's been a while since I've owned one and I *think* I used to do this. The manual is pretty blank on the subject other than using the accessory socket for ...well...um...accessories!.

Google brings some mixed results that includes later bikes with different needs.

Thx as always-
Hyja1
Lifer

Re: If I remember right...(battery charging)

Post by Hyja1 »

yes. You can plug your tender into the accessory socket by the starter motor. If you have a tender, be sure it’s the correct one for your battery. A gel battery will require one specific to its required charge rate. An AGM will also need a specific rate of charge. A bit confusing but I lost a PC battery because of the wrong tender....
Holland Ja, San Francisco
‘02 R1150R black
Hyja1
Lifer

Post by Hyja1 »

yes. You can plug your tender into the accessory socket by the starter motor. If you have a tender, be sure it’s the correct one for your battery. A gel battery will require one specific to its required charge rate. An AGM will also need a specific rate of charge. A bit confusing but I lost a PC battery because of the wrong tender....
Holland Ja, San Francisco
‘02 R1150R black
Photoguy
Basic User

Post by Photoguy »

Thanks for the memory jog. I’ll have to pop the hood to see what kind of battery the P.O. put in there. I still have the same Battery Tender Plus that I got many moons ago from the bmw dealer but as you suggested the battery itself may have changed.

Edited to add- Good news, it's a gel battery and the Plus is compatible.
sykospain
Donating Member #: 1

Post by sykospain »

...and a lithium-ion-iron-potassium super-lightweight ultra-small highly powerful battery requires an even more specific intelligent charger. Your ordinary Optimate simply won't do the biz with one of those.
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike
Photoguy
Basic User

Post by Photoguy »

Hmmm..don't have one of those! Maybe in my portable drill :shock: :D
sykospain
Donating Member #: 1

Post by sykospain »

Try one some day, when you can perhaps afford to lash out the loot. You'd value ( as I do on both my bikes ) the super-light-weight and tiny size, and the Lion roars the bike awake in the mornings like gangbusters. New technology, my friend. We should sometimes all embrace it.
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike