So Long and Thanks

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

JeffEd65
Basic User

So Long and Thanks

Post by JeffEd65 »

I never wanted to be the guy behind one of these posts because they are so depressing. But I just wanted to say thanks to this group. So here goes nothing.
Sold my '04 R this week. It was the only bike I ever owned. If not for this forum, I wouldn't have been able to do all the service including the dreaded ABS flush, learn all the quirks, the hacks and best practices that kept me and the bike smiling. I just wanted to say 'Thanks' to a everyone who contributes and keeps this thing going. You guys don't know me and I don't know you but I truly appreciated the help I have received here.

Towerworker, Cyclerob, Kirby, Sykospain, and many many others, you have no idea how many of us 'quieter' guys and girls you have helped. I know it gets old rehashing about which oils, tires, gas (and antifreeze) to use. But this board kept me going during boring winters, shoulder surgery, bad jobs or other crappy times in life.

If you can love a thing, I guess I loved that bike. My wife actually called it my mistress once. She wasn't angry, just called the way she saw it. I never got to take that long trip, but hey, that wasn't the first dream to die and it won't be the last.

The bike has a new owner. He is thrilled about it. That's all I could ask. I wish I could say that I might replace it someday but I can't.
If you are wondering why I sold it my reasons wouldn't give you any better insight to your own situation. Each of us is on a different path. I'm tempted to share my faith right here but this isn't the place for that. It does bring to mind another Thank You for keeping it clean here.

My hope is that you all keep this old board going. That this note returns to you a tiny fraction of the appreciation and motivation to keep reading, keep sharing and learning, and keep riding.

Best Regards,
Jeff
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: So Long and Thanks

Post by riceburner »

No need to run away, your knowledge is still useful. Hope you pop in occasionally. :)

What bike do you have now?
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Post by Photoguy »

Hey Jeff- Just a FWIW....I found my way *back* to this board after a 10 year break. Maybe you'll find yourself cycling back someday-

Wishing you all the best in whatever adventures await you next.
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

Good luck to you. Always welcome here, and remember, you do not have to own a bike, to share knowledge about bikes.
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

So long jeff, blue skies rainbows and tailwinds, maybe see you back?!
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

Jeff I'd almost bet we'd have some things of "faith" in common. I wouldn't be here today without mine. I'm sure I speak for many others we are so glad you've been here and hope you pop in with some words of wisdom and faith!

If you end up with another bike this is no doubt the place to come. I wish you and your wife all the best! And by chance if you get a liquid cooled bike one day I'm the one to talk to......

Wayne
Last edited by towerworker on Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

Take care Jeff, and pop in sometime if you get bored. See you later.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
JeffEd65
Basic User

Post by JeffEd65 »

Guys,

Thanks for the kind words. Genuinely appreciated. The new owner sent me a picture from his first ride with the bike today. Here ya go. The object of my (former) obsession.

Jeff
Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Post by Photoguy »

Nice looking bike though I've always felt that these R's were the top of the class looks wise.

Maybe we'll have a 'new guy' here at some point.
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

That is one good looking ride.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

My first R was an '03 that color. Totaled it in 2007. Loved that bike. Please don't be a stranger.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

JeffEd65,
Thanks for the So Long and Thanks, especially toward this chatboard. Because the Boxer Twins can be BOTH relatively expensive to have exclusively dealer serviced -and- Very inexpensive to own when totally owner serviced, this website and the experienced, knowledgeable people here are one of the best resources to safely/cheaply own a Boxer. Originally started for the OilHead, R1150R.org has diversified over the years to include "Other BMWs", that being singles, parallel twins and 4 cylinder bikes.

Looking at turning 72 next May, I've also slowed down when riding and how often, also, unfortunately even logging on and posting here . . . to be remedied soon.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
skylarmav1
Basic User

Post by skylarmav1 »

Jeff-
I'm one of those that sit in the background to observe and learn. I have contributed on occasion and am really fond of this group.

Each time I had question or was looking for insight I would look for your handle. You always have had the most complete solutions for what ails our beloved Beaksters.

Thank you!

Regards,
Skylar
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

CycleRob wrote:... Looking at turning 72 next May, I've also slowed down when riding and how often, also, unfortunately even logging on and posting here . . . to be remedied soon.
Cryptic message suggesting Rob's getting another R1150R?

What I really want for Christmas: the large format coffee table edition of "All Things Oilhead" featuring our own CycleRob, Jim Von Baden, Roger 04 RT (AF-XIED), and others. Seriously. Imagine the wealth of knowledge that could be assembled just from each expert's online contributions over the years. Such an 'encyclepedia' would be a treasure.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
Tennmoto
Basic User

Post by Tennmoto »

I have an exact model like yours, really think the R1150R is the most beautiful bmw made.
Hope to keep mine and if you wanted to get another they are not expensive
Curious about your next bike too
swamper
Basic User

Post by swamper »

Glad you posted, take care and stick around.

I'm changing my r bike for some offroad riding this year.
02R1150R,02R1150Rabs,04R1150R :D 02R1100S,05R1100S(BCR), :shock: (2)-S1000XR :smt003
IBA#7147