BMW Dealer - Annual Fluid change cost - Wow!!!

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

rasp77
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

BMW Dealer - Annual Fluid change cost - Wow!!!

Post by rasp77 »

Just been quoted £495 from BMW official dealer in the North of England for

Annual inspection and fluid change (not sure if this includes ABS flush)
Engine Oil, Gearbox Oil, Final Drive Oil, Brake Fluid and Clutch fluid
This is 15 - 20 % of the value of the bike

R1150R 2003 Silver 12,500 miles

Is this correct or as my wife says - am living in the 70s
Does anyone know a good independent local mechanic in the north west of England
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Re: BMW Dealer - Annual Fluid change cost - Wow!!!

Post by towerworker »

The oil, gearbox and FD oil changes are dead slam easy. An hour or two tops. The ABS here in the states will cost probably $250, but there are threads that will walk you thru it. It's a few hours but not difficult. There's a "funnel" adapter that you'll need and that's easy to make too. Clutch is easy as well as brakes (w/o abs). ABS is a bit more complicated but again not all that difficult.

There is a lot of information on this site about doing all your own services. Doing your own service (at least for me) is fun and is a confidence builder. And saves lots of money.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Post by Photoguy »

The previous owner of my 2003 with ABS provided me with receipts for previous work done on the bike. One of the reasons that I decided to undertake the brake flush was the dealer cost of ~ $400 (I'd have to go back through the folder to see if there was anything else included with that). Same with the grip replacement, I think the dealer charge was in the vicinity of 200 or so for what turned out to be a 20 min. job.
Hyja1
Lifer

Post by Hyja1 »

I was ripped off by a dealer that charged me for work that was never performed. I won’t go into the details, but you pay and leave thinking you’re safe when in fact, not only are they ripping you off, they are sending you out in an unsafe condition or a condition that will harm your bike. I didn’t want to be at the mercy of that dealer again.

I started to do my own maintenance and this forum was a huge help. I invested in a few specialty tools including feeler gauges, carbmate, mityvac etc.,. I now have complete confidence to change all fluids including the fluid in my clutch slave cylinder thanks to cyclerobs directions. I can adjust my valves, sync my TB, etc., I also know that no mechanic will care as much as I do in doing the best job I can on the bike. I do not have abs on my 02 R, but if I did, I’m sure I could get through it. Like Towerworker, I’ve gained so much confidence in working on my bike. It’s rewarding and satisfying.
Holland Ja, San Francisco
‘02 R1150R black
Hyja1
Lifer

Post by Hyja1 »

I wanted to add that while I was treated dishonestly by one dealer, I’m sure that there are many honest dealers. And shops and mechanics who care about their work and reputation.
Holland Ja, San Francisco
‘02 R1150R black
RadicalR1150R
Lifer
Donating Member #: 960

Post by RadicalR1150R »

Yes.. Like they're saying, You can do all this yourself & it is rewarding. When I brought mine home, I didn't even know where the oil went in or drained.
Go slow. Read,there's a " Oilhead Maintenance manual" you can download & or print out.. It explains everything you'll need to know.
Sears has a quality Craftsman tool kit that's inexpensive & has most everything you'll need.. I'll look for a part number..
Forum member "Photoguy" is a pro & has all the answers on brakes, & would surely walk ya thru..
one step at a time, you'll get it.
Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Post by Photoguy »

RadicalR1150R wrote: Forum member "Photoguy" is a pro & has all the answers on brakes, & would surely walk ya thru..
one step at a time, you'll get it.
Ha, far from a pro! Couldn't have done it without your help, but happy to pass along anything that I learned going through the process-
EasyBee
Basic User
Donating Member #: 61

Post by EasyBee »

8790 Adaptive, Akrapovic, Hyperpro, Ilmberger, Bagster, MRA, paintsprayed wheels, BMW panniers.
sykospain
Donating Member #: 1

Post by sykospain »

PLEASE NAME & SHAME THIS SHAMELESS RIP-OFF MERCHANT !
As a community, we MUST know who this gangster is, so that we can by joint effort and shared info., run the tow-rag out of business by denying him any further work.
That quote price is beyond belief for a sequence of work that's EASILY carried out at home with the merest modicum of wrenching ability a tool-tackle.
The way to do it is :-

D I Y !

Al in s.e. Spain
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike
sykospain
Donating Member #: 1

Post by sykospain »

PLEASE NAME & SHAME THIS SHAMELESS RIP-OFF MERCHANT !
As a community, we MUST know who this gangster is, so that we can by joint effort and shared info., run the tow-rag out of business by denying him any further work.
That quote price is beyond belief for a sequence of work that's EASILY carried out at home with the merest modicum of wrenching ability and tool-tackle.
The way to do it is :-

D I Y !

Al in s.e. Spain
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike
Tuffgong23
Basic User

Post by Tuffgong23 »

Service Charges are as much about knowing what to do,and how long it takes to do it as the effort of doing them (as well as the liability in doing so).. How "easy" it is has little or nothing to do with it. I do my own work because I have the knowledge, time and space to do my own work. I likely even have some time to give you a hand with yours. But I do not have the time to do the work for someone on a daily basis, primarily because I have to use my time to earn a living,which I do at a for profit business that charges a premium for the service we provide.. But even if I were independently wealthy, I would not spend my time working on other people's bikes on a daily basis, as I would more prefer to ride than wrench.
Enter the professional mechanic and Dealership. They do indeed spend their days not riding, and not making a living doing anything but working on other peoples bikes. For profit,while incurring costs and liability. For them, just like a professional plumber, electrician , time is money.,as time spent on one bike is time not spent on another. It is easy to deride a service provider for charging a premium to do something which you yourself can "easily" do. It is not so easy to do that easy thing every day, while also being there to do things that are not so easy. Be glad you don't need them,and be glad they are there when and if you do. Just understand, if they don't get paid for the easy, they won't be around for the hard. Always someone cheaper, not always someone better.
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

rasp77 wrote:Just been quoted £495 from BMW official dealer in the North of England for

Annual inspection and fluid change (not sure if this includes ABS flush)
Engine Oil, Gearbox Oil, Final Drive Oil, Brake Fluid and Clutch fluid
This is 15 - 20 % of the value of the bike

R1150R 2003 Silver 12,500 miles

Is this correct or as my wife says - am living in the 70s
Does anyone know a good independent local mechanic in the north west of England

Given BMW's generally high hourly rates, I'd actually say that's not a bad price tbh. Vines in Surrey would probably charge more (last time I checked, several years ago, their hourly workshop rate was something like £125/hour).

Remember the annual inspection will also include checking the entire bike over, some time on the Motronic analysis software to clear error codes, etc.

It's only 15-20% of the bike's value because the bike is currently not worth a lot (sorry, but that's life). If the bike was worth 10 times what it is now, (eg it's price when new) the service price would probably still be the same though. ;)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life