What Music Are You Listening To?

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

Gord
Lifer

What Music Are You Listening To?

Post by Gord »

I know this question has been asked before. But times change.

I am sitting here tonight sipping on a Canadian Rye & Diet Coke. Listening to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. Anastasia (my 17 year old daughter) and Sonya (my 13 year old daughter) are off doing their thing. My loving wife Chris is working (it is her sanity break from living with me really!). The weather is too crappy to ride. So I am enjoying the down time. And thinking yet again about being stranded on a desert island. I can have 3 albums to listen to for evermore. What would they be?

I am still passionate about the following:

Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon.
Alan Parsons - Tales Of Mystery & Imagination
Chicago - Chicago Transit Authority

What I love about these albums is their complexity, the layers, the integration of musical styles that keep them fresh for every listen.

But what if you were allowed three more? What others would you pick?

I love some of the European "gothic" bands. Again for the same reason above - they blend rock, metal, opera, symphony - and create a fresh, always enteraining sound. So add:

Within Temptation - Within Temptation (their first album)
Nighwish - Century Child

And I will add to that a great Canadian songstress:

Emm Gryner - Asianblue

So what about the rest of you? Huey Lewis? Zeppelin? Black Eyed Peas?
Last edited by Gord on Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gord

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. - No. 6
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

gord,
I am listening to the Grateful dead's Hundred Year Hall album on iTunes right now. I love the late 60's early 70's blues/country songs by the Dead.

After that I will pobably switch to either a Jimmy Buffett playlist, or one of my blues playlist(lightnin' Hopkiins and Albert King to name a few).

My wife is outside relaxing with a glass of wine, and a cigarette. I think that I am goiing to have the last beer in the fridge.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
DSKYZD
Lifer
Donating Member #: 187

Post by DSKYZD »

Hmmm, let's see. Some stuff on my mp3 player that I've bought recently from Sony Connect after hearing it on XM:

AudioSlave - Don't Mean A Thing
Queens of the Stone Age - Little Sister, In My Head
Franz Ferdinand - Take Me out
Oasis - Lyla
My Chemical Romance - Under Pressure

Plus some Green Day, Concrete Blonde (long time favorite), Megadeth and various other stuff.

DSKYZD
JOURNEY JUNKIE #187
Gord
Lifer

Oh Crap!!

Post by Gord »

I have opened a personal Pandora's Box. I dragged out Ry Cooder's "Bop 'Til You Drop". Frickin' amazing. Not a bad tune on the album. I am pretty sure it was the very first album recorded in digital.

Then I dragged out Klaatu. A Canadian band from the mid-1970s that everyone thought was the reincarnation of the Beatles. An amazing band who I can't believe I under appreciated.

And before I am done tonight I will drag out my Icehouse. And Mi-Sex. The two greatest Australian bands.
Gord

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. - No. 6
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by DJ Downunder »

I was a huge fan of heavy rock (Led Zepelin,Rush,Deep Purple etc)...but now at almost 50 I've mellowed heaps...I love this stuff now.

DJ

ImageImageImage
BobFV1
Basic User

Post by BobFV1 »

1) Grateful Dead - dingle's Picks 33 (I attended the actual concerts where these were recorded)

2) Pink Floyd - DSOTM

3) Jethro Tull - A Passion Play

next three would be:

4) Jethro Tull - Aqualung

5) Pearl Jam - Ten

6) Grateful Dead - Without a Net
Bob
2006 R1200GS ADV "Five Charlie"
wncbmw
Lifer

music

Post by wncbmw »

If I was answering this at work, it would be Deep Tracks Channel 48 on my XM radio! Where else can you hear the Moody Blues, Jethro Tull, Santana (an old one), the Beatles, Chicago and R.E.M. all in the same music set?
scottybooj
Lifer

Post by scottybooj »

my god, where do i start... I listen to a lot of stuff, not lately though, been really busy.

in the summer i love Marley, the Dead, 311, JACK JOHNSON(for those who don't know him, he's a pro-surfer with extra chill beats and lyrics--a must have) ...the list can go on and on.

new bands that are cool: Kaiser Chiefs (english punkish), Bloc Party (kinda sounds like The English Beat) and The Bravery (honest mistake is a great song) check em out.

and who can not love the Sex Pistols???

Tool is absolutely genius...some of the best modern heavy rock geniuses....
Scott
Black '50R
Long Island, NY
double-secret probationary lifetime member #311
Paper
Lifer

Post by Paper »

Edited, and moved on...
Last edited by Paper on Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beekstersocal
Lifer

Post by beekstersocal »

megadeth RA disturbed COC 3doors down trapt shadows fall exies i maybe 39 but i like my music hard and strive to find new music thats why i like xm :P
ride it like you stole it
yjleesvrr

Post by yjleesvrr »

Right now, this very month...

In the realm of Rock -

1) Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy (a great album to brood by)
2) Yes - Classic Yes
3) Bob Dylan - a few assorted songs I've downloaded from Napster.

Jazz -

1) Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
2) Stan Getz - a few assorted pieces

Classical -

1) The nine symphonies of Beethoven (Nicholas Harnoncourt/Chamber Orchestra of Europe)
2) Camille Saint-Saens - The Carnival of the Animals (Charles Dutoit/Montreal Symphony)
Member #93, June 2002
'14 BMW R1200RT "Wethead"
'77 BMW R100/7 "Airhead"
Gord
Lifer

Post by Gord »

yjleesvrr wrote: Camille Saint-Saens
I love this guy. I think he did drugs though. There is just something about his music...

I do not listen to enough classical music. Most of my collection is on vinyl and I no longer have a functional turntable. My classical stuff on CD is limited to Beethoven, Bach and Mozart. Not that that is bad. But I had so much more on vinyl.

Time for a new turntable or to buy my fav classical stuff on CD.

I really want to get Sir Georg Solti's Decca version of Der Ring on CD. About C$200 I think...
Gord

Pat
Honorary Lifer

Post by Pat »

I like World Beat, Jazz, Blues, Country, Rock, Classical, and "Ambient" music (the spacey stuff).

I found out that there is QUITE A BIT OF STUFF by The Grateful Dead that I REALLY like, and wouldn't be embarrassed to get down to my folksy-self via Jerry Garcia.

Miles Davis, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and Santana......... simply timeless!

A Lyle Lovett concert on TV absolutely blew me away, as did (damn, that skinny younger cowboy with the Blue suit & White hat.....).

I listen to Mexican radio stations frequently; ANY type of Mexican music, doesn't matter.

And radio talk shows; right wing or left leaning.... I can tolerate both views.

I can't hear nor understand lyrics, so I favor more the instrumentals. My "favorite" is mood based and only for the moment, but I claim to be down for Miles Davis anytime..... On Saturdays, a local radio station has been playing Blues between 1:00 & 5:00 pm for the last several years. It's the BEST!

I have absolutely NO PROBLEM with contemporary, traditional Punk, "Progressive", heavy/hyper/speed Metal, can easily get behind PsychoBilly,
and of course............. The Beatles, Joni Mitchel, and Elvis.
Member #31
gelbe Kulter
Lifer

Post by gelbe Kulter »

I honor of Vassar Clement's recent passing, I am listening to Grass Routes

Lately I've listened to a lot of spins of these -
The Clumsy Lovers: After the Flood
John McEuen: String Wizards
Bela Fleck: Drive
bakernks
Basic User

XM

Post by bakernks »

XM all the time, rotating between Real Jazz ch70, Smooth jazz ch71, Hearts of Space over on ch77, and the ocassional mood that puts me on reggae, ch101. With XM, albums have become dinosaurs from the past. It's all good.
2 spark BMW's: '04 R1150R, '05 F650GS
new2BMW
Lifer

Post by new2BMW »

I grew up believing that hard rock was the only music. For the most part, I am still there. I like the Black Label Society, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Ted Nugent and Rush.

I do sway from the norm sometimes. As country music goes, I don't care for much, but Clint Black's first album "killin' Time" is really good country music, plus for some reason, I really like Merril Haggard.

Over the years I have collected a few dozen classical CDs (or downloads).
Rachmaninov is my favorite, but I like Bizet opera's, especially Carmen.
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.

Mark Twain
darthrider
Basic User

Post by darthrider »

I do not listen to enough classical music. Most of my collection is on vinyl and I no longer have a functional turntable. My classical stuff on CD is limited to Beethoven, Bach and Mozart. Not that that is bad. But I had so much more on vinyl.

Time for a new turntable or to buy my fav classical stuff on CD.
God I hate the way this going to sound but here goes anyway...

Gord, the new AARP Magazine (Dean-O sends me his old ones) has a plug for a new "Crosely Stack-O-Matic Traveler" portable vinyl player that looks cool.
AARP hasn't caught on to listing URL's yet so I guess just Google it up!
Looks just like the one my high school girl-friend had in her room when her parents were out of town, and...and...
Dave

I've spent most of my life on motorcycles, the rest I've just wasted...
Kevin Markwell
Basic User

Post by Kevin Markwell »

I put this list one and only list on amazon several years back, before I had a bike. It is still fairly representative of what I like, which is pretty much all over the map. I find though that the best music for the bike is stuff with driving base and interesting rhythms, like house, dance and techno. This is unlike a lot of the intricate, layered and introspective stuff on my list.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/li ... 77-6459264

My current favorites while riding include:

Underworld - Beaucou Fish
Supergrass - Supergrass
Lamb - Fear of Fours
Paul Simon - Rhythm of the Saiints
Anything by Los Lobos
A good world needs knowledge, kindliness, and courage. --Bertrand Russell

Member #37 - Lifer