Sleeping Bags

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

DSKYZD
Lifer
Donating Member #: 187

Sleeping Bags

Post by DSKYZD »

What sleeping bag do you like? Rectangular? Mummy? Down? Synthetic?

Right now, the bag I'm thinking about buying is a North Face - Wasatch

What's holding me back is the 40 degree temp rating. I'm a warm sleeper, though I do chill in the early morning. It's probably warm enough for all the camping I'll do, but you never know when a fall campout might turn pretty chilly.

I really like the fact that this bag stuffs to 7x13. In my Medium H2W Roll top I have a self inflating mat that takes up most of the room but 7x13 should stuff down in the 4" hole in the middle with enough room to spare for a pillow and maybe even my fleece bag just in case it does turn cold.

On a side note, I have a question about the Thermarest pads. Is the foam glued or other wise attached the inside walls of the outer shell? The reason I ask is that when I lay on my cheap mat my upper body squishes all the air down into the lower section of the mat. Do they all do that?

DSKYZD
JOURNEY JUNKIE #187
Boxer2

Post by Boxer2 »

Brian, I just bought a new 25" Thermarest...only to find it doesn't fit in my Med H2W bag. I called her and she will send me a large for 10$ more and take back the medium. The 20" wide mattress fits in the medium, which is what I also have but is just not wide enough for my.....well, you get the picture. At any rate, the Thermarest pad never squished down like you say. It stayed real even all night...Just wasn't wide enough.
Boxer3

Post by Boxer3 »

And about the sleeping bag. I've been all over the Rockies last summer and up into Canada, and never did my bag disappoint me. I was always warm. It got down into the 30s at time also. My bag is rated at the 40 degree rating. I just don't think I would ever need the one that's rated down to like minus 20 degrees. That to me is overkill for campers like us.

Mine bag is the purple one in the Aerostich catalog. Very lightweight and rolls up very small...and it does the job.
camfarm

Best Guess

Post by camfarm »

Brian,

No standard for temp ratings among manufacturers or magazines that cater to the camping crowd. One man's 40 is another man's frigid evening.

But, North Face makes a quality product and you should be within 10 degrees (20 if you sleep hot).
farmercam

Oh

Post by farmercam »

And for the occasional colder camp trip, just use a fleece blanket or insert (Dicks Sporting Goods flannel bag insert is $20.00)
DSKYZD
Lifer
Donating Member #: 187

Post by DSKYZD »

Got the fleece covered. That's all I used at Willville, and that's all I'll pack for Hungry Mother. I wouldn't mind to have an actual sleeping bag for the Shelbyville Rally though.

DSKYZD
JOURNEY JUNKIE #187
wncbmw
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

sleeping bag

Post by wncbmw »

I was going to say something similar to this farmercam guy. The range can be easily extended by a liner or the addition of down booties, a knit cap and a pair of gloves, all of which take up next to no room in your luggage.

I used a -20 degree bag in -40 temps and was comfortable! Of course, I also was wearing everything listed above plus a down coat! :P
R4R&R
Basic User
Donating Member #: 293

Re: sleeping bag

Post by R4R&R »

wncbmw wrote:I used a -20 degree bag in -40 temps and was comfortable! Of course, I also was wearing everything listed above plus a down coat! :P
Vann, are you CRAZY? Anything in single digits or less calls for a motel!!!!
John
Member 293 (I think)
'17 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX
Lance1150
Basic User

John Muir

Post by Lance1150 »

Like John Muir, I just wear a long coat, with bread stuffed in the pockets to nibble on, and dance all nite if I feel cold. Works for me...
03' Black Roadster
Southern California
wncbmw
Lifer

crazy

Post by wncbmw »

Vann, are you CRAZY? Anything in single digits or less calls for a motel!!!!
Well, that depends on who you ask! :P I used to do that kind of thing for fun. I love winter camping although haven't done much lately. Not only was it a little chilly on this trip but I hiked and snowshoed about 15 miles into the Bob Marshall Wilderness in Montana to do it! Solo!

Post by Guest »

I've got 2 bags a north face "blue kazoo" w/expander panel , it seems to have shrunk in the last 20 yrs. & a $10 wall-mart fleece bag , kinda like a blanket w/a zipper on 2 sides ..By mix&matching these 2 I'm good from 20deg. to90deg.
p.s. @ $25 the expander panel was way cheaper than a new bag & not as traumatic as a diet :lol: