Tick u that awareness a notch.

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

arkline
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Tick u that awareness a notch.

Post by arkline »

Seattlites like to think they're a courteous bunch. You know, easy going and laid back, salt of the earth, like REAL people should be, ya know?

Well, I'm here to tell you that courtesy is not called for in some situations. On my commute, every day, there is a place where people feel it is necessary to let other people do that classic oncoming left hander against your direction of travel. The three lanes that the turner is going to cross are occupied by a high level of traffic at speed, but some people feel it is necessary, obligatory, a matter of soul saving, to instigate this little dangerous maneuver by stopping to let the vehicle begin its trip into no man's land. And woe to you if you're keeping up with the flow and some eejit pulls this stunt and you're not paying attention. You'll either get hit by the turner or rear-ended by someone behind you as you stop to keep from getting mangled.

So, keep your eyes peeled while on two wheels. If you see a place that consistently has bits of glass in the gutter, it might be prudent to change your route.
arkline #27
not THE Ron Kline

"No matter where you go, there you are."
darthrider
Basic User

Post by darthrider »

Man, I know what you mean!
Too often we are put in a position of chosing between a possible head-on or T-bone collision if we "go" and getting rear-ended if we "whoa"...what a choice.
Most often the perps here seem to be well intentioned Soccer Moms in mini-vans with a cell phone stuck in their ear. I'd like to stick that cell in...

Other than a high state of awareness, about all I've found to do is when in traffic and especially near intersections, run one gear lower than normal for quicker acceleration, cover both brakes for quicker stopping or slowing and replay often the "internal tape" of your last 'swerving practice' session.
Stay relaxed & balanced on the bike...good posture, good ergos. Stay out of the center oil-drip section of your lane, pick the left/right track that offers the best combination of vision-visibility-traction-escape route.
Flash your high beam. Make exagerated head-turns to aggressively look at potential "adversaries". Leave a slight impression of hostility...it will help get and hold their attention.
Assume they will "be there". Assume they will not see you. Assume if they do see you, they will try to hit you. Assume they do not care. Be ready.
Do NOT be timid or "polite". It will get you killed. PC and image be damned...it's your life.
Thay can't hit you if you're not there.

Everyone is regularly practicing all your survival skills & techniques...right?
Dave

I've spent most of my life on motorcycles, the rest I've just wasted...
Pat
Honorary Lifer

Post by Pat »

Spot on Dave!

I'm am not very confrontive when I'm in my car or interacting with friends & strangers. On the bike however, I eek it up a few notchs..... as Dave suggested, I assume I'm somebody's target somewhere. I also make it obvious that
I SEE YOU,
and ya ain't gonna get away with playing stupid by pretending you don't see me!

If there is a car up ahead in an adjoining lane, slowing or stopping..... it's either because a stray dog is trotting into the traffic, a homeless guy is wandering aimlessly into the street, or a motorized wheel chair (without the orange flag & antenna) has chosen to cross the street right there.

I agree however, that idiots who don't take into account the flow of traffic behind them..... STOPPING to play 'good guy' to another idiot trusting of the first idiot's judgement..... while idiot #2 proceeds into the cross-traffic while assuming us other idiots will stop for him...... :shock:

Though I'm not confrontive, I choose to be VERY assertive and PRO-active while on the bike. I draw the line at allowing another idiot to get my dander up by acting a fool. I choose then to drive off from a potentially ugly juvenile exchange of gestures and choice words;
it just ain't worth it.
Member #31
arkline
Quadruple Lifer

Post by arkline »

Coming back from running some errands this morning, I noticed there is a sign where the left-hand turners pause to make their turn. The sign says this:

Left turns MUST yield to oncoming traffic.

and the must is really big and the sign is right there where you can't miss it if your head isn't firmly planted where the sun don't shine. Ah, I love it.

What's that line from "Body Heat"??? "People begin to think the usual rules just don't apply anymore"...Something like that...

Eternal vigilance is the price of riding.
arkline #27
not THE Ron Kline

"No matter where you go, there you are."