I thought you were a bunch of biased liars!

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

MIXR
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

I thought you were a bunch of biased liars!

Post by MIXR »

Yep - I was hearing that my R would take many thousands of kms to be run in. It was said that you needed to "ride it like you stole it" (thanks Patrick). I heard over and over that "they all do that". I was told it would eventually stop using oil. All talk from a bunch of biased owners too gutless to admit that the bike was a dud.

Well guys - I just did another long day in the saddle on a trip last weekend. All on the Saturday. 910 kms from 5 am (dark o'clock) to 8 pm (really dark o'clock). Up the slab of a freeway to Sydney, then a fast loop around the backroads where the old punts and vehicle ferries still cross some of our coastal rivers. A long lunch with the boys at one of the old ferry pubs, then back home via the backroads and kangaroos at a slower pace.

Fast riding in hilly mountains and around narrow twisting third grade roads barely wide enough for two small cars to pass head on. I clicked over the 47,000 km mark while I was away, and these are my observations:

My R is an absolute gem to ride. It's getting better and better the more miles I do on it. The longer the trip, the better and smoother it seems to run. How can that be? The harder I punt it around the hills, the more it seems to ask for. It doesn't use oil - That stopped at the 20,000 service. It doesn't surge anymore - It runs so sweet I'm not game to have it serviced again! I just can't believe how good this thing is now that it has a lot more miles on it than when I bought it! It just gets better and better!

I can scrape things at will with the absolute confidence that it won't be my Avons or the bike that will let me down. I can run as hard as any of my buddies on more powerful machines and finish a ride refreshed and ready to go again. I can do my 900 km day (on a stock seat) and want to do more. I annoy the crap out of my mates because it's all so easy on the R. It looks easy, it is easy, the bike handles the rough stuff without flinching, it has enough torque to scare anybody following me in the hills, and it gets the looks when we park. I no longer lust after a GS.

I think I'm biased - And the stories were all true!
I ride an R1150GS Adventure with sidecar. IBA #39193
Acacia
Basic User

Post by Acacia »

WOW! What a geezer with an attitiude!

Talk about prejudice! Talk about a myopic, one sided view of life!

Now all he has to do, is next week tell us he has bought another bike!

Nice to see someone with a passion for riding and who enjoys their choice or ride - what ever it might be! I am on my 2nd R - so I guess I cant talk. :wink:
Member #192
"Life is a curve!"
FGanger

Post by FGanger »

:D
MIXR,

All I can say is, I know what you mean and I know how you feel. :D It's just the right bike at the right time for you.

There is a bit of a down side however. I don't find myself getting the same reaction to new bikes as I used to. :roll: Oh yes! I want to see the new R12R, and perhaps ride it. But I can't imagine lusting over it so much that I will trade in my 1150 for the new one - at least not for a year or so. :roll:

By the way, our Patrick was one of the "guiding forces" which caused me to buy mine in '03. 50,000 miles later, I still thank him. Thanks Patrick.:D

Frank :D
Pat
Honorary Lifer

Post by Pat »

Jeez,
and to think that I put up with riding the same ole machine day in and day out for 60,000 miles. Flawless, comfortable, effortless, and every bit "better and better, the more miles you put on it"...... yeah, right.

Who are we kidding..... that this bike should turn out to be something more than a short lived love affair? BMW oilhead, it wasn't my first motorcycle..... but I frequently think about those three years in the saddle of my Ebony Beemer as fondly as I think about my first, uuuh, well, you know.... Cindy.
:wink:
Member #31
darthrider
Basic User

Post by darthrider »

as fondly as I think about my first, uuuh, well, you know.... Cindy.
What!? You boinked Cindy??
Was this while you were in Amarillo?
You dirty rat you...
Dave

I've spent most of my life on motorcycles, the rest I've just wasted...
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

Thanks MIXR.

it took me back... to pre mishap heaven.

healin words they are.
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
gel9001

Post by gel9001 »

Hear ya, I'm at 10K just replaced the oil and filter, tweaked the BBA's and wow!! So smooth so sweet sounding, I don't want to get off of it.

Gene
dallara

Good on you, Mate!

Post by dallara »

Good on you, MIXR!

The damn things are amazing, aren't they... :smt023

And the fun is just starting!

Cheers!

Dallara
wncbmw
Lifer

liars!

Post by wncbmw »

Preaching to the choir brother! :D

Of course, we are all a bunch of liars anyway. Especially on Off Topic and the Playhouse! :lol:
yjleesvrr

Post by yjleesvrr »

I have my thrills on my SV650 and have a fond appreciation for my Harley. But the machine of choice for seeing multiple states and doing many things during one trip is my R1150R.

Those Germans have excelled in making things since the Middle Ages. It's no wonder they make the best motorcycles in the world.
Member #93, June 2002
'14 BMW R1200RT "Wethead"
'77 BMW R100/7 "Airhead"
bakernks
Basic User

The Iron Butt connection

Post by bakernks »

I like all that. I noticed the R1150 engine our rides share with the RT's and GS's, were, last night, LEADING the Iron Butt Rally, with 5 of the top 7 bikes using the 1150 twin from Beemer...ha ha ha WHEEEE!!
2 spark BMW's: '04 R1150R, '05 F650GS
jamming
Basic User

Post by jamming »

Ah jeeeezzz Mixr, so you don't like the R huh? :roll:
Give it some more time it'll grow on you. :lol:
I've loved mine from the start and it keeps getting better.
Rog