How do I Deal With This 5k RPM Idle?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

skylarmav1
Basic User

How do I Deal With This 5k RPM Idle?

Post by skylarmav1 »

So I pulled the throttle and choke cables, cleaned out the Bowden box and put all back together. All seemed to work smoothly with engine off, although I know I must do a TB adjustment. I fired her up and the rpms went very quickly up to about 5k. They may have even gone higher but I quickly turned it off. I tried again and got the same result

While I did reset the Motronic I did not pull the fuse as the battery had been disconnected up until this point so I may try again. BTW is it standing on the left (clutch) side and 5 fuses from that side?

All the cables have smooth movement and it's odd that the idle is going this far off the scales. Again, I must adjust throttle body's and maybe do Motronic again but any ideas?

Thx!
SKYLAR
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Re: How do I Deal With This 5k RPM Idle?

Post by kirby »

First check that the cables on the throttle bodies are seated. Then all the other ends are seated if that was not the cause, (common cause).
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
skylarmav1
Basic User

Post by skylarmav1 »

Yes, double checked the cables are seated in TB. Thank you.
Hoof
Basic User

Post by Hoof »

I had this problem - it was not the cable at the throttle body but the cable had pulled, bent and stuck at the Bowden box.....hard to see but OK when I changed the RH cable at the box.

I wonder if this can be checked by removing both cables at the throttle body ends to see if it ticks over without the cables attached...Just a thought, never tried it but it could show if it really is a cable problem.
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

Well it just about has to be something pertaining to your recent maintence. If one of the throttle bodies is stuck open to any degree it would be hard to start, sort of when you try and start holding a bit of throttle instead of the cold start lever. Might check that the start lever is working properly. And running the throttle full range and watching that the T/B are moving properly and full range.
Keep us up!
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Post by Photoguy »

Spit=balling here- but what about the 'cold start' lever. Is that on, hung up, engaged? Not sure how that works exactly in the big picture, but always thought it just added a bit of pull to the throttle cable...kind of like twisting the throttle open a bit.
swamper
Basic User

Post by swamper »

Sounds as if something isn't in spec with the cables at the Box, rework it.
02R1150R,02R1150Rabs,04R1150R :D 02R1100S,05R1100S(BCR), :shock: (2)-S1000XR :smt003
IBA#7147
skylarmav1
Basic User

Post by skylarmav1 »

Thx all! If I pull on the throttle, both plates on throttle bodies open evenly and smoothly. I'm not sure what I can do differently with Bowden box. All seems to work well.

I will take a closer look tomorrow and maybe I'll see something awry based on your help.

I'll keep all posted!

Thx!
skylarmav1
Basic User

Post by skylarmav1 »

Thx Hoof. I may try that. Really dont want to dig back into Bowden if I don't have to.
Roger 04 rt

Post by Roger 04 rt »

To idle at 5K something is holding the throttles open. Most likely the throttle cable, fast idle cable or Bowden box. If you look carefully you will see that the throttles are off the stops.
skylarmav1
Basic User

Post by skylarmav1 »

Hey all, thx for the assistance!

I double checked the throttle cable and that was WAY off at the bar. Also, I redid the motronic reset. Not sure which cured the ailment (I'm leaning towards the cable) but bike is running its idle right around 1100 rpm.

Again thx to community!

This weekend, we use home made manometer to adjust throttle bodys.

Thanks all!
Skylar1
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

When you say the "throttle cable was way off at the bar", do you wean something was amiss at the throttle cable at the handlebar end itself?
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
skylarmav1
Basic User

Post by skylarmav1 »

Tower-yes. The lock nut and adjuster were several mm apart. Once I dialed back into the spec of one mm, and did the same at TB, the 5k idle came back down to about 1k rpm. Still needs some finessing but at least in ballpark. Thx!