Oil Viscosity Question

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

rdsmith3
Lifer
Donating Member #: 74

Oil Viscosity Question

Post by rdsmith3 »

I am ready to change the oil soon, and I am trying to decide if I should put in the 20W-50 or 10W-40.

I commute at least 2 days per week, which is > 100 miles roundtrip per commute. I intend to ride as late into the season as possible here in northern New Jersey.

In the next few months, we will have some more hot days and also some cold days. It may not need another oil change until very early next year.

I could put in some 20W-50 now and then put in the 10W-40 in December for use in the coldest months, and then change it again in April.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
Lance1150
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Lance1150 »

Wise and informed advice is on the way!

In the meantime, I don't think it matters AT ALL.

Thanks for reminding me though, I'd better change my oil.

Out where I am it's been over 100 for most of the month and I always use Castrol 20-50.
03' Black Roadster
Southern California
rdsmith3
Lifer

Post by rdsmith3 »

Lance,

You're probably right, but pondering oil viscosity allows me to avoid doing the work I am supposed to be doing! :wink:
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
challey
Lifer
Donating Member #: 365

Post by challey »

rd --
The manual says that #W-40 can be used up to 86F and also allows for brief excursions in higher ambients. This should be pretty much what you'll be facing since most of the really hot 90+F days are probably over in northern Jersey - although your neck of the woods is considered central Jersey for those of us from true north Jersey (Oak Ridge).
My personal feeling is that you're better off with 10W40 which will give more protection when it's really needed, at start-up while still providing more than adequate protection at other times.
rdsmith3
Lifer

Post by rdsmith3 »

although your neck of the woods is considered central Jersey for those of us from true north Jersey (Oak Ridge).
Central Jersey?! I live 3 miles from Sussex County. I live in NW Morris County, right near I-80. How is that central jersey? I basically live at the other end of Berkshire Valley Road from Oak Ridge, about 19 miles.

You must be thinking of some other place. If not, where do you draw the line?

Oh, and thanks for the oil advice. What you said makes sense.
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
challey
Lifer
Donating Member #: 365

Post by challey »

Sorry Bob, I-80 is the dividing line. Maybe could let you slide if you were in Netcong . . .

Actually, I no longer live in Oak Ridge (am now in the Phila area) and am just giving you a hard time. I constantly hear from folks down here that they are going to North Jersey, only to find out that they mean New Brunswick. The other thing I hate is when folks mention that NJ is sooooo flat. Obviously they've never even been to Morris Cty, much less Warren, Sussex or even Passaic. BTW, Flanders, Long Valley, Chester are all very pretty towns in quite a picturesque part of the state. It's regrettable that people think that all of NJ looks like what they see from the NJ Tnpk.

Ride safe.
Charlie
rdsmith3
Lifer

Post by rdsmith3 »

Yes, I live at about 1,100 feet elevation.

I grew up in the Philly area.

Back to oil ... I think I will go with 10W 40 if I get a chance to change it on Labor Day weekend.
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
roadancer

viscosity

Post by roadancer »

Hi,
Consider this,,, all the numbers ie 10w-40 etc mean is how an oil behaves at 0C [the w], and at 100c, the second #. That's it clean and clear!!! It cranks like a 20, and hold up to thinning like a 50 etc,,.....
I may go with 20/50 [better yet a 15-50 syn] now, and change over mid/late oct to a 10/40 if you consistantly run in the low to mid 30's. Finish the year on that, and at winterize time add some MDR crankcase "Store-n-Start" for corrosion protection.
Take a short warm-up ride in the spring dump it, and go to the best selection for ambient at the time.
Works for me!!!!!!!
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

10-40w is fine....the lower the first number means more runny..so better for cold starts.

The higher the second number means it's not too runny to work when things get hot.

Some of the best oils are 5-50w...and are the best IMHO...I used this for years.

Although at the moment I'm using 10-40w...I tryed 20-40w once and the engine seemed to be straining to turn over on cold start ups.

DJ

Post by Guest »

The 20/50 will shear down to a 40 wt in short order. Suspect the 10/40 will shear down to a 30 wt. I'd stick with the 20/50.
KHaynes
Lifer

Oil Viscosity

Post by KHaynes »

The type of oil you choose should be determined by the normal running temperature of the engine. If your engine regularly runs at the corrent temperatures, then the lower viscosity will only be an advantage for cold cranking. Your 100 mile commutes should certainly get the oil hot enough to continue using 20W-50.
Using 10W-40 oil should also be fine in the colder months. It may even prove to be an advantage in fuel economy.
Ensure that the oil is a quality brand.
Keith Haynes
R1150RT
Wheelcaps