Good Time to Ride

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Bogdan
Basic User

Good Time to Ride

Post by Bogdan »

Many say this is a true health crisis - others that the real danger is hysteria. Either way, it's great time for a lonely ride through the countryside. Hey...you can even pretend you're searching for toilet paper.
swamper
Basic User

Re: Good Time to Ride

Post by swamper »

I've been going riding up the mountain passes (Sierra's) here the last few days before a winter storm moves in today. My stops at out-houses had no toilet paper, odd because they usually do. Didn't think to much of it until last night after going shopping at Sam's for our normal stuff. We didn't hoard anything there but their was sure a lot of people who were. They were out of a lot of stock including TP, a lot of empty shelves. I was astonished at what I saw, didn't think people were so panicked over this thing.
02R1150R,02R1150Rabs,04R1150R :D 02R1100S,05R1100S(BCR), :shock: (2)-S1000XR :smt003
IBA#7147
Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Post by Photoguy »

Agreed. And while it's a bit on the early side, I'm digging the bike out of hibernation today. Got a few projects in mind to do that I asked here about over the winter, but those will have to wait just a bit longer until after a few rides.
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Riding next weekend, cold wet storm will preclude mountain routes, so I'm riding the Pacific coast for a while. Time to do our part as motorcyclist, enjoy reduced traffic, fresh air, and support small businesses that remain open during and despite the pan-hysteria.

BYOTP.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
AZBMWRIDER
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by AZBMWRIDER »

Supervisor at work yesterday told me to go home about 12 noon, work was slow and it was the ' Friday ' of my work week . Took one of my airheads to work that day . Weather was perfect, 77 F clear and sunny 100 + mile visibility .
Traffic was very light on Interstate 10, usually quite heavy leaving Phoenix heading towards Tucson .
Got on two lane back roads had the road to myself, got to Gila Bend got on Interstate 8 for three hours, no traffic only saw 2 vehicles eastbound .
Stopped at one of my favorite stops in Dateland, AZ and got one of their ' world famous date milkshakes " . https://www.dateland.com/
I was their first customer in hours .
This may turn quite serious no one really knows, but its's quite obvious that people are in full panic mode .
I work for a domestic US airline and the flights are empty, my company has cancelled about half of the flights out of and into Phoenix .
I fully expect the airlines in the US to stop flying in the weeks ahead .
'02 R1150R, Atlanta Blue
Been riding since 1979, BMW's since 1981 .
4 R65's, '87 Guzzi V65 Lario .
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

Went shopping this evening.... No eggs, no pasta, no tp, no rice, no tea, very little cereal, very little shower gel (wtf?). In the UK the shops are holding back stock so the panic buyers don't clear them out.
Just means that sensible people can't get their normal weekly shop.

I'm now trying to get refunds on my flight to the US for May, but Virgin Atlantic are only talking to people who's flights are less than 72 hours in the future.....
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Bogdan
Basic User

Post by Bogdan »

Yesterday it reached 60 and was mostly clear, here in Colorado. I enjoyed a pleasant ride through the foothills and desert-like plains - a loop of about 100 miles. Stopped for lunch and feasted on New Mexico/South Colorado style Mexican food. Nothing quite like that in Texas, California - and, for that matter, Old Mexico itself. FWIW I devoured a bean burrito smothered in their signature green chili. Glad I did that when I could. Not because today is much colde and foggy. No...as of this morning, our governor ordered all restaurants closed. You can still get food to go.
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

A bit nuts here in Virginia. No tp to be found although hopefully that will change soon. I'm pretty much ok there as I'm less full of poo than many...................
Today apparently all the fast food shops will be drive thru only. Governor is asking all over 65 to stay home. Glad I'm just 65....
From what I've seen there has yet to be a run on antifreeze..............
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
swamper
Basic User

Post by swamper »

Out here in Ca. it's gone stupid. Went out today to the grocery store for fresh Veggies. They were out of all paper goods and to my surprise Canned Cat food. I've heard old people eat cat food before but really, my cat will have to have dry only I guess. Glad I live in the outback of the Sierra Nevada, we have always been stocked in case of winter storms and getting isolated. It was put to the test last summer with all the electrical outages/shut-offs, no problems for us.
Yes it will be good to go riding on the mountain roads, shouldn't be much traffic, only problem is they are pretty wet right now. I'll pack my own drink and snacks.
02R1150R,02R1150Rabs,04R1150R :D 02R1100S,05R1100S(BCR), :shock: (2)-S1000XR :smt003
IBA#7147
Hyja1
Lifer

Post by Hyja1 »

I got back from a Laos motorcycle trip this last Wednesday. I left for Asia before everything went crazy.... And I think I was safer in Laos than the San Francisco Bay area. Now I'm sheltered in place but was going to self quarantine anyway.

The ride was on Honda 250 dirt bikes going through southern Laos rural areas. Ten of us riding in from the Thailand border. A 4x4 chase truck following us. 70 percent dirt roads. Villages, riding along and crossing the Mekong river (on a barge) roads were so bad, we all took falls. Licking my wounds and bruises here at home. It was a great adventure and seeing country that few tourists would ever think about traveling.

Still, good to be home and hunkering down to ward this virus off.... Best regards to all and stay safe.
Holland Ja, San Francisco
‘02 R1150R black
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Hyja1 wrote:I got back from a Laos motorcycle trip this last Wednesday. I left for Asia before everything went crazy.... And I think I was safer in Laos than the San Francisco Bay area. Now I'm sheltered in place but was going to self quarantine anyway.

The ride was on Honda 250 dirt bikes going through southern Laos rural areas. Ten of us riding in from the Thailand border. A 4x4 chase truck following us. 70 percent dirt roads. Villages, riding along and crossing the Mekong river (on a barge) roads were so bad, we all took falls. Licking my wounds and bruises here at home. It was a great adventure and seeing country that few tourists would ever think about traveling.

Still, good to be home and hunkering down to ward this virus off.... Best regards to all and stay safe.
Was that self organised or with a company? Sounds like a fabulous trip.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Hyja1
Lifer

Post by Hyja1 »

Both self organized and with a company. The wife of one of the riders from our local group is Laotian. She helped us organize the route and places to stay in Laos. She contracted with a local Thai organizer who rented us the bikes and helped us get across the border from Thailand to Laos. The Thai bike rental group was happy to accommodate us as they are hoping to attract more U.S. adventurers and of course, the money we bring in. They provided the chase truck, a driver and a mechanic. Language was an issue as their english was limited. This was their first engagement with U.S. clients and only their third venture into southern Laos.

The southern Laotian countryside and people are dirt poor, but they are a happy and peaceful people. They are kind and generous even when they have so little. I was humbled by their hospitality. We were assigned a Laotian guide, who helped us in every way possible. This is a communist country that is looking to boost tourism and its economy and it shows in the infrastructure projects going on and the treatment we, as foreigners were given.
Holland Ja, San Francisco
‘02 R1150R black
Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Post by Photoguy »

^ Sounds like an awesome trip. I probably couldn't afford to do it but if I could, I would :)

I spent years ring lightweight bikes off road and really miss it-
machew01
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 345

Post by machew01 »

towerworker wrote: From what I've seen there has yet to be a run on antifreeze..............
Subtle, but cute. A few of us old guys will get it.

mac
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

machew01 wrote:
towerworker wrote: From what I've seen there has yet to be a run on antifreeze..............
Subtle, but cute. A few of us old guys will get it.

mac
Since I'm not yet an old guy I've no eartly idea what you're talking about..........

Mac...good to hear from you. Hoping y'all are doing well. Good time for y'all to be sitting on top of that hill and taking care of each other. I sure enjoyed that weekend.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Hyja1 wrote:Both self organized and with a company. The wife of one of the riders from our local group is Laotian. She helped us organize the route and places to stay in Laos. She contracted with a local Thai organizer who rented us the bikes and helped us get across the border from Thailand to Laos. The Thai bike rental group was happy to accommodate us as they are hoping to attract more U.S. adventurers and of course, the money we bring in. They provided the chase truck, a driver and a mechanic. Language was an issue as their english was limited. This was their first engagement with U.S. clients and only their third venture into southern Laos.

The southern Laotian countryside and people are dirt poor, but they are a happy and peaceful people. They are kind and generous even when they have so little. I was humbled by their hospitality. We were assigned a Laotian guide, who helped us in every way possible. This is a communist country that is looking to boost tourism and its economy and it shows in the infrastructure projects going on and the treatment we, as foreigners were given.

Sounds good, I hope that they take that idea and run with it in the coming years!
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
BadToTheBown
Donating Member #: 1

Post by BadToTheBown »

Bogdan wrote:...can even pretend you're searching for toilet paper.
Pretend? Only thing harder to find are disinfecting wipes...
2014 Ducati Hyperstrada (HyperProject)
2005 BMW R1150sR Project Tourer