heated handgrip wire routing

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

rydfly
Basic User

heated handgrip wire routing

Post by rydfly »

Hi folks. I tried a search but couldn't locate exactly what I'm looking for so I'll just ask here...

I'm adding OEM heated grips to a bike that was not originally equipped. I have all the parts (used switchgear, new grips) but I'm unclear how the wire at each grip routes to the connector under the tank. Do the wires route internally through the bars and come out of the hole in the center, then down the front of and then under the tank? Or does each wire somehow fit into the external bundle that's zip-tied to the bars, meaning I'll have to somehow thread it through the existing loom?

Please advise. Thank you!
'04 BMW R1150R
'83 BMW R65
'12 Yamaha Super Tenere
'14 Triumph Scrambler
'96 Ducati 900 SS
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Re: heated handgrip wire routing

Post by sweatmark »

Saw your post at FB group. Enthusiastic but not always enlightened folks there.

The OE handlebars have two holes, outboard of clamp, that allow each side's heated grip wire to pass from inside to outside. Remove bar end weight(s) to see the wire path from heated grip into handlebar interior. Note that the wire must have slack on throttle side to allow grip rotation without wire damage. Many new R1150** bikes were shipped from factory with over-tight throttle side heated grip wires.

The pass-through holes in handlebar are close to inside edge of switchgear body, positions the heated grip wires outside the outermost wire zip tie. IIRC most R1150R bikes had two zip ties on each side of handlebar. The heated grip wires follow switchgear wire harnesses inward towards front subframe (left and right side), where the front wire harnesses are again restrained by zip ties. Excess length of heated grip wires is "bundled up" and held in place with zip tie at front subframe mount holes on each side. Finally the heated grip wires - along with other front harnesses - attach to the group of harness connectors.

Heated grip connectors (two of them) are small brown 2-pin. No idea if OE harness retains the grip connectors for bike that was not equipped, but my guess is that they are.

You have to run grip wires through handlebar and holes without the connector shell. The small crimp connectors do fit through hole.

Search here for info about OE zip ties being too tight and too plentiful. Factory recall.

Oh, and tank has to come off. YouTube video.

Good luck.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
rydfly
Basic User

Post by rydfly »

Very descriptive, thanks so much!
'04 BMW R1150R
'83 BMW R65
'12 Yamaha Super Tenere
'14 Triumph Scrambler
'96 Ducati 900 SS
rydfly
Basic User

Post by rydfly »

Ok, I need HEEEEEELLLLPP!!!!!

I have the new grips installed on the bars and the wires routed through the handlebar without any troubles. My original harness does indeed have the two connectors where the grips will plug into. However, I cannot find the plug where the 3-pin connector for the OEM handlebar controller would plug into. Although my bike didn't come from the factory with the heated grips, it's hard to believe they'd equip it with the connectors for the grips but not the connector for the controller.

Anyone have experience with this? By chance, anyone WITH heated grips have your tank off where you could show me a picture where this connector should be? The wire colors are black, orange, and green w/ a black stripe. I've have pics of the connector from the switch controls but evidently I don't have privileges yet to upload them. I need to find it's mate.
'04 BMW R1150R
'83 BMW R65
'12 Yamaha Super Tenere
'14 Triumph Scrambler
'96 Ducati 900 SS
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer

Post by sweatmark »

I don't think this topic has ever been covered here.
Let me look at wiring schematic.
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer

Post by sweatmark »

OK my Rockster is on the lift, stripped down for project work.
OE heated grips:
1. brown 2-pin connectors for each grip side, as you have already learned;
2. heated grip selector switch is integrated into right hand switch module, and all wires for the module attach to bike harness via white connector attached to right side of front subframe;
3. there is no separate 3-pin modular connector dedicated to the heated grips switch.