I need more training

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

yjleesvrr
Donating Member #: 0

I need more training

Post by yjleesvrr »

I rode the "Tail of the Dragon," i.e. - Route 129 at Deal's Gap the last couple days with three other friends. These three other friends have ridden at least 20 years or more each, and bring a lot more experience to riding than I do. One of them used to race motorcycles, and it showed as he took his 22 year old Yamaha Seca 900 through Deal's Gap like a pro. I could not keep up.

I also saw several other riders there that would beat the pants off me on any sort of technical course. I don't think Deal's Gap is the place to go all out as mistakes can easily prove to be fatal, but the whole experience reiterated the need in my mind to take a course, or several.
Member #93, June 2002
'14 BMW R1200RT "Wethead"
'77 BMW R100/7 "Airhead"
rdsmith3
Lifer
Donating Member #: 74

Post by rdsmith3 »

Which bike did you ride it on?
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
yjleesvrr

Post by yjleesvrr »

I rode my Roadster. Quite honestly, unless my friends were on a Gold Wing, I don't think I would have kept up.
Member #93, June 2002
'77 BMW R100/7 "Airhead"
wncbmw
Lifer

Deal's Gap

Post by wncbmw »

So Kyaw could ride that old Yamaha! It was interesting to meet him and the rest of your group. Next year maybe?
yjleesvrr

Post by yjleesvrr »

Vann - oh yeah. Kyaw, as well as Erik with his R1 disappeared right in front of me. It's not like they got to the other end of Deal's Gap long before I did, but they did arrive at each end about 30 seconds faster, which translates to a decent amount of distance.

I think Kyaw and Paul (hey, that rhymes :lol: ) had a blast. Erik and I make this an annual trip, but this was the first time for the other two. They seem to be really looking forward to doing more next year. Three days simply is not long enough to enjoy the riding opportunities your neck of the woods offers.
Member #93, June 2002
'77 BMW R100/7 "Airhead"
Valueman
Lifer

Post by Valueman »

As you know, I rode the Dragon a couple of weeks ago with some friends.
After a couple of runs we started thinking more deliberately about entry lines, counter steering, weight shift, etc. The runs became much smoother and faster. The experience highlighted the fact that some bad habits had crept into my everday riding.

We had a great time, but to be honest I would not want to ride the Dragon on a regular basis. It's fun, but it's just too much work :). I much preferred the Cherohala and the BRP.

VM
jbuzbee
Basic User

Post by jbuzbee »

Me and my ridin' buddy are heading up to the Dillard House for some good country cookin. We'll be leaving Lakeland Florida sometime Thursday, Sept. 8th and heading north - don't have to be home until 8:00am Monday morning.

We're not real keen on doing the Dragon - but are interested in some fun, twisty, scenic roads in the area. We have no other itinerary other than eating at least one meal at the Dillard House. Anyone have any suggestions?

I'll post a full report upon our return.
James Buzbee
There was a time when a man was free to make his own way in the world . . ..
MidlifeMark
Double Lifer

Post by MidlifeMark »

Yong,

The most important thing is that you are trained enough to ride your own ride and not try to keep up. Glad to hear you had a good trip.

Mark
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
Lifetime Member #84
1987 R80RT
1999 R1100RA
PearlyWhite
Lifer

Post by PearlyWhite »

yjleesvrr - Considering your experience, do you have any advice for another "novice" to tackle the Dragon?

I think I might have an opportunity to head up there at the end of this week and am a bit anxious about it.

I'm not a speed demon or a knee dragger with a significant amount or training/experience. Been riding for +/- 3 years and 18K miles but haven't tackled any true mtn roads yet.

I was thinking that maybe I should hold off on that road until I can follow someone with more experience...follow their lead, etc.

Did that help you to have those in front of you? Any other advice?
Tampa guest

North Georgia Mountains

Post by Tampa guest »

Buzbee, I live in Tampa. The ride getting to the mountains is not much fun. Great area and not to far away (500 miles) Suches Georgia just above Dalanigha (sp) on route 60. Wolf pen gap or georgia 180 can be as much fun without the traffic of Deals gap. Lots of other good riding in the area. Great spot to camp with gormet meals served on the weekends at TWO (Tow Wheels Only) campground. Smith house in Dalanigha similar to the Dillard house.
John
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

Pearly White...and others, Tampa Guest is RIGHT! Try some similar mountain roads that are quieter, before going up to that madhouse at Deals Gap on a weekend. All over north Georgia and even up into NC to the east of Robbinsville are hundres...NAY! thousands of miles of roads that will give you plenty of thrills and much good training on the curves.

Keep your own pace at all times! And enjoy it! As you build confidence in yourself and the bike...and the bike's tires, you will find yourself leaning more and increasing your speed somewhat and having more and more fun...safely.
Pat
Honorary Lifer

Post by Pat »

"...I could not keep up.

I also saw several other riders there that would beat the pants off me on any sort of technical course."
We ALL need more training.....

to not try to keep up, to give those who would.... room enough to beat our pants off, and to become a better rider. I wonder how many guys have had mishaps because alone or with fellow riders, they were "racing"? After all, it's about The Ride.

Is this an appropriate thread for somebody to post the obligatory, well written, much thought out, and timeless wisdom, "The Pace"?
Member #31
wncbmw
Lifer

Deal's Gap

Post by wncbmw »

As a western NC native, I seldom go to Deal's Gap (AKA the Dragon), because of the crowds and mentality on the weekends. If you are coming to the area, there are lots of great roads in WNC and N Georgia. Just pull out the map and pick some back roads. And I won't post my favorites on cyberspace for fear they could become the next "dragon".

The problem with the Gap is the mix of everything from cruisers and trikes to the full blown race bikes and motard guys, resulting in a mix of speeds. And frankly, many people just ride over their heads while there, leading to lots of crossed centerlines! :shock: There are lots of curvy roads around, Deal's Gap just has an 11 mile stretch with almost no straights.

In the area around Asheville, lots of great roads connect with the BRP. In N Ga, try to get to Dalanaga or Suches on a "bad" motorcycle road. I dare you. Can't be done. :P
yjleesvrr

Post by yjleesvrr »

PearlyWhite - Deal's Gap isn't so daunting that you should be anxious or scared about it. You simply ride at your own pace, be aware of what is going on around you (like the guy on a 600cc sportbike who wants to blow by you on a straight). As others have indicated, going on a weekday is definitely preferable to going on Saturdays/Sundays. Having traffic on this road can be more distracting than others that aren't so twisty. Those on the lunatic fringe will cross the double-yellow to get around you. Thankfully, I have yet to encounter anyone trying to pass me through a curve, which is asking for a disaster. Of course, it's not like I'm THAT slow.

Having someone in front of me didn't necessarily help, as they were faster riders and the temptation is always there to keep up with them at a pace faster than what I'd be comfortable with. The group I was with had two riders who were faster than me and one who was slower because he was riding a VMax. This bike is extremely quick in a straight line but not quite so through the twisties. Anyway, I let the faster ones go and didn't worry about the slower. Again, the idea is to focus on what YOU are doing.
Member #93, June 2002
'77 BMW R100/7 "Airhead"
jbuzbee
Basic User

Post by jbuzbee »

Tampa John,

Where abouts in Tampa do you live?

I know the drive through the Southern Georgia "Wastland" can be rough - never done it on a motorcycle. We're going to try to make good time off the interstate, but if we get crunched for time we'll hit the slab. Thanks for the heads up on Suches and Dalonega. I'm really looking forward to this.
James Buzbee
There was a time when a man was free to make his own way in the world . . ..
Arbreacames
Basic User

Post by Arbreacames »

yjleesvrr wrote:...unless my friends were on a Gold Wing, I don't think I would have kept up.
I know the feeling: one of the guys I rode with in the GA-NC area was on a Guzzi cruiser and I could not keep up with him. I thought I was pretty decent, but looking at good riders do a mtn dance is a great lesson.

I agree about the crazyness of Deal's Gap. Here is a much better road that only locals use: 28 north from Franklin, NC. Nirvana!

I do have one suggestion that works great for me: in tight curves I lean forward so that my arms are slighlty bent. It gives me much better control.
Carlos D.
PearlyWhite
Lifer

Post by PearlyWhite »

Thanks for the input. Based on your feedback, I decided to forego the 4 hr. trip from Charlotte to Deals Gap. Instead, I headed up to Morganton and hoped on 181 North, hit the Blue Ridge Prky and came back down 221.

181 was a great road. I got behind some trucks that slowed me down but for the first time up on the "twisties" it was a good experience. There were not any switchbacks - but enough tight curves to test my gear selection, cornering entry and exits. Based on what I took from this board, "take it at your own pace" I realized quickly that slower is better for my inexperience. Only problem is, I can't wait to get back up there and try to go a little bit qucker, then the next time, a bit quicker, etc.

Thanks for the feedback.

I will say that I believe I might be addicted. :twisted:
king biscuit
Lifer

Riding the Dragon

Post by king biscuit »

First let me agree with the other posts here that say "ride at your own pace." If they want to go faster, let them go...you won't get lost, there's pretty much nowhere to go except the other end of the gap. They'll be waiting there.

I rode the gap for the first time during Honda Hoot this year. I was 2 up with the wife and she was very hesitant about going because of the rumors and videos. We had a great time, kept up with the riders in our group, and still kept our own pace. The only wake up was from a squid that passed within 6 inches of us on the inside of a very tight turn. I never saw him coming, I just caught him out of the corner of my eye and then our bars were about 6 to 12 inchas apart. He shot past so quick, I don't think I had time to react.

Don't be afraid of the Dragon, it's a fun ride. Ride at your pace, be safe and you will enjoy it so much more.

For what that's worth,
Dan
King Biscuit
Member # 456