OCT Edition of Rider Magazine

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

jamming
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

OCT Edition of Rider Magazine

Post by jamming »

Rider did a test of the top naked bikes and left off our beloved beaksters so I could'nt let it go so here's my email:

I think you forgot one bike in the Streakers article in the October edition of your magazine. Where is the BMW R1150R? It's a naked sport bike. It falls under your definition, i.e., a more upright seating position, more comfortable than a true sport, and more versatile in terms of touring capabilities and carrying a passenger.
However, I am willing to concede that it is not based on a sport bike and the engine is not detuned from a hi-performance sport bike. The R1150R IS built as a
NAKED bike, thus its an original, NOT a copy of a bike.
It is also the ONLY bike that can be ordered with factory hard bags and aftermarket hard bags and a multitude of windshields both from the factory and aftermarket.
It also has heated grips, and can be easily maintained by the owner if they have just a little bit of mechanical aptitude.
The R1150R has an almost cult like following, see http://WWW.R1150r.org. We LOVE our Roadsters. I'd pit my R against any of the bikes you tested on any day and twice on Sunday. An 1150R competed in the 2005 Ironbutt Rally, can any of those 5 you tested make that claim?
The BMW R is a very vesaitile motorcycle. I use mine everyday for commuting, back road twisties and touring. It does all of them with ease and style. Its also way better looking than all of the five you tested, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
So whats up? Why was the BMW left out? If you don't think its sporty enough I've got some twisties here in Arizona, bring one of those five out and lets go riding.
Roger Reeves/BMW R1150R and loving it.

I know I left some things out but hey, I'm PO'ed.
I'm thinking of cancelling my subscription, but I don't want to be to hasty, I do enjoy the rag. I'll update with any answer I recieve.
Rog
scottybooj
Lifer

Post by scottybooj »

yeah! you tell those bastages!
Scott
Black '50R
Long Island, NY
double-secret probationary lifetime member #311
jm1515
Triple Lifer

Re: OCT Edition of Rider Magazine

Post by jm1515 »

jamming wrote:Rider did a test of the top naked bikes and left off our beloved beaksters so I could'nt let it go so here's my email:

I think you forgot one bike in the Streakers article in the October edition of your magazine. Where is the BMW R1150R? It's a naked sport bike. It falls under your definition, i.e., a more upright seating position, more comfortable than a true sport, and more versatile in terms of touring capabilities and carrying a passenger.
However, I am willing to concede that it is not based on a sport bike and the engine is not detuned from a hi-performance sport bike. The R1150R IS built as a
NAKED bike, thus its an original, NOT a copy of a bike.
It is also the ONLY bike that can be ordered with factory hard bags and aftermarket hard bags and a multitude of windshields both from the factory and aftermarket.
It also has heated grips, and can be easily maintained by the owner if they have just a little bit of mechanical aptitude.
The R1150R has an almost cult like following, see http://WWW.R1150r.org. We LOVE our Roadsters. I'd pit my R against any of the bikes you tested on any day and twice on Sunday. An 1150R competed in the 2005 Ironbutt Rally, can any of those 5 you tested make that claim?
The BMW R is a very vesaitile motorcycle. I use mine everyday for commuting, back road twisties and touring. It does all of them with ease and style. Its also way better looking than all of the five you tested, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
So whats up? Why was the BMW left out? If you don't think its sporty enough I've got some twisties here in Arizona, bring one of those five out and lets go riding.
Roger Reeves/BMW R1150R and loving it.

I know I left some things out but hey, I'm PO'ed.
I'm thinking of cancelling my subscription, but I don't want to be to hasty, I do enjoy the rag. I'll update with any answer I recieve.
Rog
Relax a bit, Rog...don't cancel your sub just yet. 8)
You make excellent points...all very true, IMHO. Might be a little tough to come thru 'twice on Sunday', but I hear ya, Bud!
The R has received great reviews in the past, one of the main reasons I just bought one.
When I see it getting left out of these type comparos, I just laugh...secure in the knowledge that I'm one of the (relatively) very, very few who can recognize an original, complete bike when I ride one.
But then again, I've never been one to follow a crowd....
I DO hope Rider has the balls to print your letter tho. I think they just might....
j magda
TripleLifer Member 454
04 Black (the Classiest Color) R1150R
Deep in the OH wasteland...
Pat
Honorary Lifer

Post by Pat »

The "ugly" Beemer has always been a bit of an outcast. We know the Rock' or Roadster sure as hell ain't 'ugly', and it's owners are certainly not 'outcast' rebels. But both the Beemer and those who learn to love 'em are..... well, unique.

Far better that we remain on the sidelines knowing that we can whip some serious butt of the more "popular" name-brands, and not try to compete for the spot-light. We KNOW what we got, and don't need the general motorcycling 'norms' infiltrating us "unique" individuals.

Though I may not be riding a Beemer right now, it's a home I can always return to when 'contentment' is the order of the day.
Member #31
bakernks
Basic User

magazines

Post by bakernks »

Good rant. They'll edit the *&^% out of it, so it says something different than what you wanted to say, for starters. A good expose when it's released, thats it. That's all I want.
I don't want the magazines to say a word about the bikes I ride, as long as the manufacturers make the things, I'll have something decent to ride. The more ink something gets, the more buyers they'll be, and suddenly I see myself sitting at every street light. That wouldn't be all good, to me. There's enough accessory support for the R1150R as it is, from Jesse bags, Cee Baily windshields, besides all the stuff BMW sells. Exposure...well, I don't need it.
2 spark BMW's: '04 R1150R, '05 F650GS

Post by Guest »

Except for MCN, mags are biased towards the amount manufacturers spend on advertising. I read 'em all but don't take any of them too seriously. :roll: However, I'd still the fire the letter off and let 'em know how you feel. I'll be looking forward to see if you get published. Good luck. :smt023

Post by Guest »

good job :evil: