help for sun glare

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

rdsmith3
Lifer
Donating Member #: 74

help for sun glare

Post by rdsmith3 »

I commute at least a few days a week. My commute is mostly highway, and I head East in the morning and West in the evening.

The sun has slowly changed its schedule so that it now inconveniently shines right at me for most of the morning commute, and also gets me after work sometimes. It is so bad that it is a safety hazard.

I bought this thing called Super-Visor and tried it out this morning
http://www.super-visor.com/

This thing really works well! I have no connection with this company. I was just ecstatic at how well it worked this morning.

I put it as high as possible on the shield of my Shoei RF 900, which was just right for me. It blocks the direct sun, much like the visor of a baseball cap, but I can still see straight ahead.

I really recommend this if you have a problem with sun glare.

It is $20 shipped. It is removable if you use the included lift kit.
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
crousos
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by crousos »

Bob, I have the same problem. Super-Visor looks like a good idea.

Tinos
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

I've been using the sun blocker for the last few years...and I give it two thumbs up.. :smt023 :smt023 ....and only $15.95

http://www.helmetsunblocker.com/

ImageImage

I could not use a peak because of my flip type helmet....peaks are good...but they catch the wind and are a bit noisy.

btw...that peak looks like it attaches to the visor...so if you like to ride with the visor open a little the wind might get under it and...wooosh!.. :lol:

DJ
rdsmith3
Lifer

Post by rdsmith3 »

peaks are good...but they catch the wind and are a bit noisy.
DJ

I was listening to satellite radio on my ride this morning, but I did not notice any extra noise from the visor. I currently use the BMW touring windshield, so I already get some noise.
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

DJ Downunder wrote:I've been using the sun blocker for the last few years...and I give it two thumbs up.. :smt023 :smt023 ....and only $15.95

http://www.helmetsunblocker.com/

ImageImage

I could not use a peak because of my flip type helmet....peaks are good...but they catch the wind and are a bit noisy.

btw...that peak looks like it attaches to the visor...so if you like to ride with the visor open a little the wind might get under it and...wooosh!.. :lol:

DJ

oooooh dear - you PAID for that???

I guess Barnum was right. :(

Anyone who likes the look of that.... can I recommend the reasonable usage of 2c worth of electrical tape.... ;)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
socalrob
Lifer

Post by socalrob »

Riceburner

I second DJ's recommendation of the sunblocker. It is translucent so that you can see through it, but provides great relief from a low sun. My only complaint is that at 120mph tucked behind the shield with my head down I'm looking through it, and it does distort things abit. Next time I apply it I may trim a bit off.

Function over form. Mine costs about $9 US.
07 1200GSA & 08 Ducati Hypermotard S
& Honda XR400
Past-04 R1150R
Kevin Markwell
Basic User

Post by Kevin Markwell »

Has anyone tried those "Eagle eye" yellow sunglasses you see in full page ads in all the car magazines? At $69 for the buy one get one free offer I strongly suspect P.T. Barnum at work again. But I have been tempted to be taken in by the claim of being an official NASA spinoff technology. Then again, so was Tang and where is that? If it was $35 for one pair I might have tried them.
A good world needs knowledge, kindliness, and courage. --Bertrand Russell

Member #37 - Lifer
rdsmith3
Lifer

Post by rdsmith3 »

Kevin Markwell wrote:Has anyone tried those "Eagle eye" yellow sunglasses you see in full page ads in all the car magazines? At $69 for the buy one get one free offer I strongly suspect P.T. Barnum at work again. But I have been tempted to be taken in by the claim of being an official NASA spinoff technology. Then again, so was Tang and where is that? If it was $35 for one pair I might have tried them.
If you're riding right into the sun, as I am, no sunglasses are going to help.

I do wear high quality sunglasses (currently Bolle are my favorites) but I needed something to actually block the sun out of my field of vision.

My sunglasses have sort of orangeish lenses (vermilion, I think they call it) that enable them to work well even in very low light condition. They have polarized, polycarbonate lenses that meet ANSI impact resistance standards. I got them for $50 from Sierra Trading Post. I have another pair of Bolle and also a pair of Smith sunglasses. Both are good brands.

Good sunglasses are worth the money. They fit better and have better quality lenses.
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
Kevin Markwell
Basic User

Post by Kevin Markwell »

Bob,

I totally agree with you. I currently have some polarized Ray-Bans I like and have spent good money on good glasses in the past. They are good but do not cure blinding direct sun in the eyes. I was just wondering if the Eagle brand claims of wonder tech magic had any validity.
A good world needs knowledge, kindliness, and courage. --Bertrand Russell

Member #37 - Lifer
mnnden
Basic User

Post by mnnden »

This may not look quite as good but it works good for me. The "blue paint tape" seems to come off real easy. Den, Image
We all gave some,
Some gave all.

Anonymous
dallara

For me...

Post by dallara »

For me, it's really hard to beat the integrated, flip-down-when-needed, sun visors in my Schuberth and Caberg Justissimo helmets...

I liked the Schuberth until it started to literally disintegrate.

Now I am literally in *LOVE* with my Caberg Justissimo, which has logged many a mile in the past few months, and looks (and more importantly, operates!) as new as the day I bought it.

Clear shield as with most helmets, and then with a quick swipe of the lever, a tinted shield when you need it... and as it gets dark, another quick flip, and presto... Back to clear.

All helmets should have 'em!

Just my $0.02... YMMV.

Cheers!

Dallara
rdsmith3
Lifer

Post by rdsmith3 »

Now I am literally in *LOVE* with my Caberg Justissimo

Dallara,

You need to get out more; meet people. :D

Tell me again where you got that Caberg whatever helmet? I know you posted this a while back. And how does the sizing run?

thanks
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
gelbe Kulter
Lifer

Post by gelbe Kulter »

I have ridden with the cheaper ($4) Sundowner for years. It clings to the outside of the visor, so I put a little rubber cement under it. It is also translucent and works well for glaring headlights at night as well as the setting sun, as I can reduce the glare and still see through it.

Another helmet, Nolan's new X-Lite X-1002 flip-face, has a flip-down sun visor.
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

Boxerboy has a similar helmet to Dallara...they have a flip down thinga-ma-jig...almost like inbuilt sunnies.

I took this pic of him leaving Philip Island racetrack last year and the ride home is mostly into the sun...I think I still prefer a good pair of sunnies.

DJ

Ebet
Basic User

Post by Ebet »

Yeah, I like the SuperVisor too. Took a few days to get used to it but now I am very attached to it (no pun intended).
2004 Ferro R1150R
dilligaf
Basic User

Post by dilligaf »

I would really consider one of these but i can't find a U.S. distrubitor.

http://www.sunax.de/english/index.html

Suzuki T500- learned on
Vmax- hang on
Klr650- muddy on
Softail- laid on
R1150R- moved on
BobFV1
Basic User

Post by BobFV1 »

I second Dal on the built in, retractable sunshade on the Schuberth helmet - when used in conjunction with my Ray-Ban polarized sunglasses it blocks the morning/evening sun just fine.
Bob
2006 R1200GS ADV "Five Charlie"