Transmission and final drive fluids change

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

rph802
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Transmission and final drive fluids change

Post by rph802 »

Hey all,

Looking to do the transmission and final drive fluid change. According to my "beloved" Clymer manual, there is a crush washer that needs to be replaced just like the oil drain plug. Since this is the 1st time I'm doing this, I have to take their word for it. Is it possible these are the same crush washers as for the oil drain plug?? Got a couple spares with the extra oil filters I recently ordered from Sierra BMW. BTW, I have a 95 R1100R. TIA!!

Craig
alkaloid
Basic User

Post by alkaloid »

Can't remember for sure but I think that a couple of the crush washers are the same. You can probably reuse them if this is the first time to change those fluids. If you get the "kit" when you buy an oil filter from the shop, it'll come with all the washers you need along with an extra one that goes on the K bikes.
BMW Fan
Basic User

I think they're three different sizes

Post by BMW Fan »

...regarding the engine, transmission, and final drive crush washers. I can't for the life of me find it in writing at the moment, though. There are people here much smarter than me in these matters who will hopefully chime in to corroborate.

If you can't easily obtain the crush washers, the general consensus seems to be here that you can re-use the existing washer (or "sealing ring" as it's called in the BMW manual) a few times.
-Kurt

Formerly "Regular Dude"
2004 Dark Ferro R1150R
2005 Red KLR 650
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

BMW Part numbers:

07119963200 Seal Ring 14 x 18 Two of them For final drive
07119963300 Seal Ring 18 x 22 One of them For top plug on tranny
07119963252 Seal Ring 16 x 20 One of them For Engine oil drain plug

I could have the last 2 mixed up, but those are the part numbers and the washers you need. I thought it odd that the transmission drain got no washer, but that's what they said.
geechie
Honorary Lifer

Post by geechie »

I thought it odd that the transmission drain got no washer, but that's what they said.
This is one of those rare cases in which they don't all do that. The Tranny drain on my bike ('99 1100R) is one of those that is 'up the tunnel' and does have a crush washer. Mine also only takes ~ 800 ml of lubricant.

Go figure.

George
Member #191
Carpe momentum... y'all