Matching Locks for Panniers on K1200R & S

The sexy K1200R!

Moderator: Moderators

riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Matching Locks for Panniers on K1200R & S

Post by riceburner »

Can anyone who has recieved this option on the pannier luggage please confirm something?

Is the lock matching something that a dealer can do - or MUST it be done in Germany at the factory??

I have been told two different things by two different dealerships, one believes that it's a dealer issue - the other believes that it is a factory issue.

I'm confused. :(

What happens if it IS a Factory issue and yet you buy panniers after you've received the bike?? Does the whole bike have to be shipped back to the factory??? I can't believe BMW would make the system that difficult to operate... :(
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Kevin Markwell
Basic User

Post by Kevin Markwell »

riceburner,

I did them myself and truth be told I had a brain fart and screwed one up, but it is easy if you have a Dremel tool, or a lot a patience and a good file.

You just put your bike's key into the cylinder, file down any of the eight or so detents that pop up until smooth (EXCEPT! the last one, which holds the cylinder in place), apply a little grease, then twist the cylinder into its receptical. Walla! It works.

It is obviously very important that it be perfectly smooth, because once it is locked into its plastic tunnel it ain't never coming out intact. To get it smooth you have to hold up on the underside and key because the detents are spring loaded and bounce away from you as you are filing. I didn't have it perfect on one and had to forcibly pry the whole cylinder out because it would release the bag but not open it. That sort of wrecked it and I have another on order for $30. ugh. The first side worked fine, and I was just impatient and careless.

It's really no problem if you are meticulous.

Putting the rest of the mount and bags together is also straitforward. I think the dealer wanted over an hour of labor. I ordered the bags with the bike and should have bargained for the labor as part of the deal, but didn't. I remember getting the install for free on my RR four years ago.

Gook luck.
A good world needs knowledge, kindliness, and courage. --Bertrand Russell

Member #37 - Lifer
Deans BMW
Honorary Lifer

Post by Deans BMW »

San Jose BMW matched the locks on my ST with out buying new locks. They used a special tool that they ordered from Snap On I think that allowed them to easily do the mod, works perfectly.
Dean-O
Member #33
utzguy
Basic User

Post by utzguy »

It was my impression that the dealer should match the locks for you. LoneStar does. That's why most of the bikes on the floor with bags don't have locks in the bags yet.
DEU
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

This is all on the K12S/R panniers guys, yes?? The grey ones with black bars?
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Kevin Markwell
Basic User

Post by Kevin Markwell »

Yes. The standard issue bags.
A good world needs knowledge, kindliness, and courage. --Bertrand Russell

Member #37 - Lifer
camfarm

Keys

Post by camfarm »

I told my dealer, after the KR left the factory, to add the bags with matching keys. It was a non-problem.
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Aye - that bit is sorted now...

(just have to get them down to a reasonable price!)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life